Sweep technique to cut nasty frequencies. Should I be cutting the "whistle" frequencies?

• Thread starter BillMurray
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
When it comes to what Drew said, I actually process an "instrument" in 3-4 passes. I take away bad things (clinical cuts), make it sound like the thing I want (musical eq), then do mix eq at the buss level (generally a musical console eq, ssl g from Brainworx is my favourite). This can be hard to do as a newer person, since you may ruin the instrument(s) at the first two stages by not knowing what you want/it should sound like, then have to do a whole bunch on the buss eq.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nick

Reaction score
Yeah as others mentioned, this is an experience thing, on high gain guitars I always default to looking between 3.5 and 4.5 khz as I almost always find nastiness in there and there are usually some other ranges I'll check as well but training your ears to listen out for this stuff and quickly isolate it comes with practice.

')