Sweeping troubles.

• Thread starter jalguitarman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jalguitarman

Reaction score
Am i the only one who expriances harmonics ring out when doing sweeps that use notes on the 12 th fret when playing at 140bpm or above? Is ths just something i have to live with or can a persons muting be refined to the point where these notes don't cause this annoying problem.:scream: granted i am a bit more used to alternate picking and legato but have realy for the last several months been practicing this one hard and persistant. Any input or advive appreciated and thanks in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Are you playing barred sweeps? If you're doing a three-string barre across the twelth fret it is extremely hard to avoid getting some harmonics ringing out at high speed, even with otherwise perfect muting. If you can try to avoid lots of barring (it's a subjective thing, but to my ears, that'll improve your tone as well), and make sure as much of your right-hand palm is exposed as possible, to mute each string the instant it's been allowed to ring out. If you're using a ton of gain, maybe ease off on that a little, as that'll stop those pesky harmonics from ringing out too much.

If it's really driving you crazy, you could use a string mute tied round the region of the first fret (the same arrangement a lot of 8-finger players use) to kill all the natural harmonics, although that won't be a solution if you're going to want them for something else.

jalguitarman

Reaction score
Are you playing barred sweeps? If you're doing a three-string barre across the twelth fret it is extremely hard to avoid getting some harmonics ringing out at high speed, even with otherwise perfect muting. If you can try to avoid lots of barring (it's a subjective thing, but to my ears, that'll improve your tone as well), and make sure as much of your right-hand palm is exposed as possible, to mute each string the instant it's been allowed to ring out. If you're using a ton of gain, maybe ease off on that a little, as that'll stop those pesky harmonics from ringing out too much.

If it's really driving you crazy, you could use a string mute tied round the region of the first fret (the same arrangement a lot of 8-finger players use) to kill all the natural harmonics, although that won't be a solution if you're going to want them for something else.
I probably do things a bit odd. Thing is I use some barre shapes but i dont play them in that way. Its strictly one finger per note. Like say i use a standard minor seventh shape starting on the A string. I do not nor have i ever used one finger for 2 notes never even knew you clould until very recently but after what i have heard players say i doubt i ever will play them that way. I wiil give you an example of what i am talking about. I am practicing in the key of F ionian right now and when i play the A minor b9th chord starting from the A string on the 12th fret and am on the returning sweep back up one of my notes is G played at the 12th on the G string of course and it seems like my muting the B string is what is causing the harmonic to sound as the harmonic that is sounding is the B string when i come off the G. Its very annoying as i want to play as clean as possible and this is something i strive for in my quest for speed. I want to ultimately be able to play using any technique i want (in 16th notes) at 350 bpm but clean and accuratly. Anymore input on the harmonic thing?

When you say right hand exposed do you mean up off of the strings?

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
No, it sounds like you're doing what I was talking about and fretting with your fingertips rather than rolling a barre across the strings.:yesway: It's not odd incidentally; Shawn Lane, Rusty Cooley, Scott Henderson and Jasun Tipton all favour stacking the fingers instead of barring.

With the right hand, I meant avoid curling your fingers in to the point where they're stopping your right hand palm from making contact with the strings and muting anything you don't want ringing out, although I'd avoid fanning your fingers out, as that can cause your hand to tense up. Think more of a 'cupping' motion with the right hand fingers rather than a tight fist.

Where possible, you could use a spare left hand fingertip to mute the string where the harmonic is ringing out, although that's not absolutely fullproof, as you might not have a finger in an easy position to mute at the point you need it.

jalguitarman

Reaction score
Cool. Thanks. I think that much of muting a lot of times is being comfortable with the shapes your using as i knpw when i try a new shape it takes some work to play it halfway clean. Nice to know i am not on the wrong track.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks. I think that much of muting a lot of times is being comfortable with the shapes your using as i knpw when i try a new shape it takes some work to play it halfway clean. Nice to know i am not on the wrong track.

Sounds like you are doing all the right stuff. You just have to be patient, and be careful not to sacrifice clean technique for extra speed.:yesway:

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
No, it sounds like you're doing what I was talking about and fretting with your fingertips rather than rolling a barre across the strings.:yesway: It's not odd incidentally; Shawn Lane, Rusty Cooley, Scott Henderson and Jasun Tipton all favour stacking the fingers instead of barring.

Yeah me too...

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
Am i the only one who expriances harmonics ring out when doing sweeps that use notes on the 12 th fret when playing at 140bpm or above? Is ths just something i have to live with or can a persons muting be refined to the point where these notes don't cause this annoying problem.:scream: granted i am a bit more used to alternate picking and legato but have realy for the last several months been practicing this one hard and persistant. Any input or advive appreciated and thanks in advance.

Also work your sweeping VERY VERY SLOW with metronome to develope relaxation in both hands. When you discover how to relax you will discover how to "melt"the tension and mute with your Picking or "Sweep" Hand.

Santiago

jalguitarman

Reaction score
Also work your sweeping VERY VERY SLOW with metronome to develope relaxation in both hands. When you discover how to relax you will discover how to "melt"the tension and mute with your Picking or "Sweep" Hand.

Santiago
I use a combo of pick and frethand muting. I know that sometimes i am trying too hard to be quiet and actually causing noise in the process. Like when i am trying to mute with my freting hand sometimes my finger will be angled just right to sound the note of the adjacent to the one i am actually ffreting, this most often occurs with my pinkie but i have improverd at it and have been building my speed with the mtronome although i must say i am bit impatient with it and will realy push it at times knowing i can't quite do it at that speed very clean and precise but trying to force my speed upwards. not everyday but on fridays when i have the most time to practice i do push it. Thanks gentlemen.

Latest posts