Sweet new amp demo!

protoplasma

Rhodes Amplification
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Check out this demo that Joe Gamble put together for us. It's an original song and not only does it kick ass, there's some pretty sweet tone going on too. It is all Colossus H-100 -- with a good variety of sounds.

Colossus Demo by Joe Gamble by Rhodes Amplification on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I don't think he's on this board, so I'll copy his description of the recording process:

Joe Gamble said:
The set up for the tune was Colossus into an Ultimate Attenuator into a Mojo 2x12 cab loaded with Scumback M75s. I like to use the power section while recording and I live in an apartment so the attenuator is a must!

Recording chain was an SM57 to Phoenix Audio DRS-2, Apogee Duet, Logic. Cable was Mogami Gold.

The main rhythm tracks were cut with channel 3, bright switch and mode switch engaged and the volume up at about 10 o’clock. Melody and leads were also cut on Channel 3 but with the volume up at about 2 or 3 o’clock- browned up real good! Cleans were done on channel one with the bright switch on and treble maxed- the Colossus has a really nice clean channel but it’s very dark and warm. I tend to go for a snappier brighter thing so I was fighting it a little bit there. There is a section where I used less gain and an EH POG octave pedal- for those sounds I used channel 2 (crunch channel- killer!) but I have since forgotten the settings.

No gain pedals were used. Pedals were the afore mentioned POG as well as an EVH Flanger to give the melody some shimmer, a Boss RT-20 in one spot, a Dynacomp for one clean part and some reverb, delay and chorus from Logic.

Guitars were Grosh Electrajets. The second solo was my HSS EJ, I used an EJVT (a tele derivative) for one small part but 95% of the tune was my HH EJ. I use this guitar for probably 80% of my session work.

Kyle’s amp flat out kills. This tune was thrown together at the last second before I had to pass the amp along so I really didn’t get to dig in and learn the amp. I was pretty much recording as I was learning how it worked. If I would have had more room in my schedule I could have done a better job but as it stands, I think it’s a testament to how great the amp is that I could basically throw a mic on it and have it sound the way that it does.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Latest posts

')