Swineshead PUPS: Anybody know if the SH97 sounds like a Strat Single Coil?

• Thread starter speedy1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

speedy1

Reaction score
Hi all,

My head just about exploded (with happiness,) when I discovered the Swineshead SH97 pickup...I wanted a single coil in the neck of my Carvin, but didn't want to have to deal with all the routing/installation issues.

It turn out this pickup is a drop-in replacement for Carvin's "unique" routes!

:hbang:

http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/sh97.shtml

I was lusting after a strat-like single coil tone in the neck position, as Carvin ONLY offers humbuckers in the necks of their 7 strings.

Will the SH97 give me a stratty, single coil tone in the neck position? If so, I'm ordering today!!!

If anyone has any experience with these pickups, PLEASE tell me about them!

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulletbass man

Classical & Metal
Reaction score
Though I have no use with that pickup they are very good about describing what thier models do and usually provide good soundclips (though not necessarily for 7 string model but usually have samples of sixstring type and sometimes the erg range ones aswell).

Also send them an email. LIke I said they are very honest about thier pickups.

speedy1

Reaction score
I think I shall e-mail them.

P90 tone...Hmmm...

That's a nice tone for clean rhythms, but not for the lead tones I like.

I guess I'll just ask them to describe it for me. Maybe they could even rehouse one of their normal 7 string singles into that larger casing-- that may work!

Thanks for the input.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
That appears to be a 7 string P90 not the fender-y tone you are looking for

Nay - it does say on their site that it's just a single coil in a humbucker housing. Kinda like the EMG-H

What I really noticed was that they have direct replacements for Carvin 7 humbuckers - dual screw and all.

Little pricey, wouldn't mind hearing a review from some of the folks here.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, but a P-90 is a single-coil in a P-90 housing. Strangely, Swineshead's "P-90" offerings are both humbuckers, but the SH-90 is listed under single coils... it's unclear if the SH-90 is intended to sound like a Strat pickup or a P-90.

It's interesting that we've got a lot of people here who have a lot of experience with Bare Knuckle Pickups, yet nobody seems to have tried Swineshead.

speedy1

Reaction score
I sent them an e-mail regarding the SH97 yesterday; no response as of yet. I'll probably give them a call tomorrow, once I figure out the time difference between the US and UK...

Just got a response to my e-mail, here it is:

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the email. The SH97 has been designed with a more strat-like
tone in mind. Underneath the cover the pickup is designed along the same
lines as a strat single coil. In terms of tone it falls somewhere
between our Spotlight7 and Dragonfly7 pickups.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thanks,

Jon Bell
www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk

Awesome!!!! I'll be ordering one to retrofit into my Carvin. I can hardly wait!

:) :) :) :) .........

blues-core

Reaction score
I've got one waiting to go in my s7320, managed to round one of the pickup mounting screws when taking out the original so I haven't tried it yet. Will try and get some replacement screws by Wednesday when I'm meant to have first practice with a new band.
Will let you know how it sounds and try and record something.

speedy1

Reaction score
Blues-core, have you tried out the new pup yet?

No need to record anything for me (unless you REALLY want to,) I'm just curious as to how the pup sounds!

blues-core

Reaction score
Only just getting round to ordering the screws. Was trying trying to work out if I should wait about wiring it up untill I ordered a BKP warpig for the bridge but I think my RG8 lust is gonna mean that I'm just sticking a blaze that I have in in the S7

buttmonkey

Reaction score
Hi all well my boyfriend works for Swineshead Pickups and they are slave drivers when it comes to making sure they get a quality products and all the pickups he has got for his guitar have come straight from there.

I only say that cos he is still there now working late and all he talks about is pickups and how to improve them. Seriously guys im there trying to get into the mood and then he starts talking about a certain type of copper than can produce a better sound!!!

')