Swirled UV (probably a repost)

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm sure this has to have been posted by now, but my goodness am I in love with This. :drool:

Attachments

• 30_1.jpg
    30_1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 167
  • d8_1.jpg
    d8_1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 128

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wow....I like green guitars. That's just super. Drool...

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That's not bad, really. It seems a bit over-priced, but if you've ever tried a project like that you'd gladly pay it because you know how much time and effort you're saving.

The monkey grip on a Universe has to be there. It has something to do with the extra string tension or the room taken up by the wider neck and pickups.

It's a nice guitar, actually my dream guitar up until a few years ago. Now, I'd rather have 3 or 4 more 7620's. :lol:

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
I saw that yesterday! It looks gorgeous, because it's different than all the others.:yesway:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ken Burtch said:
That's not bad, really. It seems a bit over-priced, but if you've ever tried a project like that you'd gladly pay it because you know how much time and effort you're saving.

The monkey grip on a Universe has to be there. It has something to do with the extra string tension or the room taken up by the wider neck and pickups.

It's a nice guitar, actually my dream guitar up until a few years ago. Now, I'd rather have 3 or 4 more 7620's. :lol:

Herc's swirls alone start around $400.

To this day that 9/11 guitar that he did is my alltime favorite. (I believe it was one of his, anyway)

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
Ken Burtch said:

This would be the first i've ever heard about this. And I don't think it's true. My 7 string "UV" has the monkey grip in the right spot. So does the 7 string uv body I sold to Paul. I've never once been told that they monkey grip had to be somewhere else due to string tension. And I know the wider neck and pickups aren't a problem.

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Scott said:
This would be the first i've ever heard about this. And I don't think it's true. My 7 string "UV" has the monkey grip in the right spot. So does the 7 string uv body I sold to Paul. I've never once been told that they monkey grip had to be somewhere else due to string tension. And I know the wider neck and pickups aren't a problem.

Well, I'm basing my statements on the original Passion and Warfare Universe. I know the monkey grip was in a different spot, and I can't find any information confirming my sketchy memory.

There is a difference in the location of Vai's grips, though:

v_u_paw1.jpg

vai2k_ibz.jpg

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
Ken Burtch said:
Well, I'm basing my statements on the original Passion and Warfare Universe. I know the monkey grip was in a different spot, and I can't find any information confirming my sketchy memory.

There is a difference in the location of Vai's grips, though:
I never noticed that... interesting.:yesway:

I think I prefer the grip more towards the horn, than the middle.

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if the position of that grip was just one of the many experimental monkey grips.

A jems body is the same size as a UVs. I don't even know if the pickguards are a different size, other than at the neck pocket.

jtm45

Reaction score
I've always thought the monkey-grip was a bad idea really.

It's a bit less wood to resonate and it could also cause a 'disturbance in the force'.:agreed:

The UVMC with the monkey-grip in Ken's picture is the actual PAW cover guitar.
They airbrushed over the monkey-grip for the PAW cover because the production UVMC didn't have one.

Photographic evidence below;
v_u_paw2.jpg

Buzz762

Destroyer of Worlds
Contributor
Reaction score
He'd have a hell of a time playing with fingernails like that.

')