Swirled UV (probably a repost)

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jakeskylyr

Reaction score
bostjan said:
Someone please tell me what the purpose of the monkey grip is, besides to look ridiculous.
I was under the impression that the original basis of the monkey grip was to take stress off of the neck when handling the guitar.

I guess that it may be like the "opti-grab" Steve Martin's character invented in the movie "The Jerk", as it was invented innocently for a good purpose, but gets noticed, blatantly stared at, and over analyzed for all the wrong reasons.

I personally think monkey grips are pretty cool. As is the UV that started this thread. Give it an AANJ, and it would be a damn sweet axe :)

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Chris said:
v_u_paw1.jpg

That's not Vai's hand, is it?

Yes. It was during a photo shoot for PAW. You should see the rest of him. Cat-demon costume. I believe there were pictures themed after songs on the album. This was "The Animal" IIRC.

Scott said:
A jems body is the same size as a UVs. I don't even know if the pickguards are a different size, other than at the neck pocket.

This is exactly my point. The body is the same size, but the pickups and neck have grown. There is less body mass between the neck pickup and the edge of the body, and one can see it clearly in the pictures. Now, you cut a big-ol' monkey grip out of it, and it could be becoming structurally unsound (no pun intended).

I do think I've found the cause of the discrepancy. The JEMs and their monkey grips are made by Ibanez. The UV body was sent to Joe Despagni sans grip, and HE put the monkey grip in before it was sent to Darren Johanssen for swirling. This is from Darren himself.

NDG

Contributor
Reaction score
I think the monkey grip looks pretty damn dumb as well.

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
Ken Burtch said:
This is exactly my point. The body is the same size, but the pickups and neck have grown. There is less body mass between the neck pickup and the edge of the body, and one can see it clearly in the pictures. Now, you cut a big-ol' monkey grip out of it, and it could be becoming structurally unsound (no pun intended).

Right but the amount that the pickups and neck pocket grow is very minimal. And even then, it's divided amongst the top and the bottom of the cavities.

But yeah, I also believe it to be because the grip wasn't cut by ibanez.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The kid in me will always have a soft spot for monkey grips, because 16 years ago I had that P&W page from GFTPM stapled to my bedroom wall and believed the JEM to be the absolute coolest fucking thing on the planet.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Chris said:
I'm sure this has to have been posted by now, but my goodness am I in love with This. :drool:
Yeah, I saw that a few days ago while I was lurking, I like the swirl, nicely done. Someone here should get it. :agreed:

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
I like it, but that monkey grip:

1- There looks very sloppy
2- Why i want to grab the gutiar for that point, i have a nice strap :D

')