Switch & Pots Advice Needed - For Passive & Active Pickups

• Thread starter Sparky8691
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky8691

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I ordered a new bridge pickup to put in my Schecter Reaper-6 a while back (a Schecter USA Colossus - John Browne signature), and it's arriving tomorrow. The pots in this gutiar are quite crackly now, and the 3-way blade doesn't always connect properly so thought it would be best to sort these out at the same time as putting in the new pickup. I believe these componenets can be cleaned but I would be happy just to swap them out for some decent quality new parts.

I'm not sure about the 3-way blade though. I've seen that the Oak Grigsby and CRL models are accepted as some of the best quality but I've seen a note on one listing saying they are only for USA guitars, and that import guitars need a 'metric' switch. But on another site it said these switches only fit 'imperial' switch tip types so if that's the only thing that makes a difference that's not a big deal...could just get the correct switch tip. Or would I be OK buying a cheaper switch like one of these: https://www.axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_050.htm

Haven't decided whether to use push/push pots yet - currently the guitar has a push/pull for coil split but I was thinking of a more involved wiring configuration with a 3-way miniswitch for each pickup to go between series/parallel/outer coil split, and another miniswitch that bypasses the 3-way blade and goes straight to both inner coils. I had a tech do a wiring diagram for this setup so can definitely go ahead with it if I like...there is a local luthier that can handle installing the switches - if there is space in the cavity. But it may be better to pare that down a bit - perhaps a push/push for outer coil split and push/push for parallel - but I'd keep the instant inner coil split switch, that's a really cool feature I think. And the tech already worked it out for me! Wouldn't be able to mix pickup configurations with this pared down version but it would still offer 10 different positions, and save drilling 2 more holes.

Whatever I decide with that, I can just make sure to get a decent brand of pots but not sure whether to go for log or linear?

Final question - I also have a guitar with Fluence Moderns, wired up for the voice change only with a push/pull on the tone pot. I'd like to add coil split to this as I've enjoyed that before on Fluence pickups. I'm thinking a push/push pot would feel most comfortable but there aren't many 25K options out there. Only found this one: https://www.banzaimusic.com/Push-Push-IN-KN-25k-log.html and this one: https://guitarpartscenter.eu/en_US/p/VPARTS-Pro-25K-push-push-audio-pot-std/19387

They are both logarithmic pots which I've read is correct for active circuits. Would these be sufficient quality to use with the Fluence Moderns, or would I be better off just going for a push/pull, then I could get the official Fishman pot if I wanted.

Thanks for everyone's expertise!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gator

Reaction score
I believe when they say American guitars they’re mostly talking about the tips as that’s the main thing that doesn’t transfer. Unless the guitar has a VERY special screw set for the selector. So you should be good there.

for log or Lin, it’s kinda up to you. Log is more typical if you like to ride the volume/tone knobs. Human ears don’t hear volume linearly so it kinda ends up being more natural to feel out. I personally never use them so linear is great because if I do want to turn down a bit it’s easier for my brain to go down 50% or so rather than feeling it out.

The first one looks the best, but both should be fine. Since you’re in eu I’d avoid the wait time for fishman. Not really going to be worth it.

')