Switch vs Ps4

• Thread starter squids
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey y'all
so i'm graduating next week, out of my current college and into going into the next program in the fall, so not really a big deal but my girlfriend wants to buy me a graduation gift. she has offered either a nintendo switch or a ps4, and having played neither, and being unable to play a switch unless i buy one online, i'm curious if there's anyone on here who has played a switch, or better, has played both. i know game selection is worlds above the switch for the ps4, but considering i have a wii right now with just twilight princess and mariokart, a vast array of games is not really a dealbreaker for me haha.
i like the portability of the switch, but im also fine just playing at home too.
i have a computer and netflix and stuff so being able to watch movies is also not something i care about too much. im just looking for whether or not the switch lives up to the hype i suppose.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

polish_sausage

Reaction score
I have both. Based on what your saying I would say the switch would not disappoint you. It has breath of the wild and Mario kart 8 already. I would call them the best single player and local multiplayer games of the year. Third party support remains to be seen though there is promises of it. Nintendo seems to be doing a good job of spacing out support for it throughout the year as well.

Once a Pokemon game is announced for it, it will sell to a point where it will be hard for 3rd parties to ignore IMO. Plus it's supposed to get Netflix down the road. If the portability appeals to you I say go for it!

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
PC and Switch is a deadly combo. If you have a PC that can play games, almost everything comes to PC. I sold my PS4 because other than a few exclusives, it just made sense to play them on a beefy PC. Its been over a year and I don't regret it at all. It addition, xbox is putting all their games on pc these days as well so it kinda defeats the purpose if you have a PC. I play the Nintendo games you can't get anywhere else on my Nintendo consoles.

Reaction score
PC and Switch is a deadly combo. If you have a PC that can play games, almost everything comes to PC. I sold my PS4 because other than a few exclusives, it just made sense to play them on a beefy PC. Its been over a year and I don't regret it at all. It addition, xbox is putting all their games on pc these days as well so it kinda defeats the purpose if you have a PC. I play the Nintendo games you can't get anywhere else on my Nintendo consoles.

I'm more of a Mac guy.....:lol:
Honestly i don't game a lot; i think with the questions about variation in amount of games, im just being ambitious but i think since january i've only really put about 20 hours on my wii max :lol:. and that was only twilight princess with maybe an hour of mariokart with the lady.

elkoki

Reaction score
I'd love a switch, but it probably doesn't have plenty of games out yet. My little bro just got a ps4 a few days ago, and it's fun but it was expensive lol.

First I buy him the console, then Black Ops 3, then he wants an extra controller, then I had to buy Ps+, and of course you either pay $10 a month for it or buy a whole year for $60.

I'd go for the switch

domsch1988

Reaction score
Easy:
Single Player - PS4
Offline Multiplayer - Switch

If you NEED Zelda or Mariokart you have ne choice anyways. The biggest drawback for me of either PS4 or XBOX is the fact that there are no offline multiplayer games (worth playing). It's the reason my wife and me stick to nintendo.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Now owning both, I'm seeing advantages for both. However, I still lean towards PS4, but mostly because I'm bias and have and continue to be a Sony guy, and PS4 is probably my favorite system since, geez, the Super NES or PS2 are considered my other favorite systems. Yet, a lot of PS4 exclusives are pretty amazing.

That said, The Switch is really cool, Zelda and Mario Kart are well worth it... But man, it needs some games. I guess that's to be expected with consoles that are barely 3 months old. I almost grabbed Ultra Street Fighter II, but after reading the reviews, it feels like I'm fine already owning Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (Say that 5 times fast) and I would just be getting Ultra for the sake of having more games for my Switch.
Also, Virtual Console please. Thanks.

Right now, I'd say go PS4 because of the library, some of the sales they have are pretty good (I have an obscene amount of games and paid less than $10 - $20 for a vast majority of them). As much as I am enjoying my Switch, I feel like it will be more worth it after games like Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey come out. Unless you feel you can get that much time out of Zelda (which, well, a lot of people seem to be able to do). There are some other quality games on the Switch now (Shovel Knight, Thumper, Binding of Issac, I Am Setsuna, for example), but they have been available on other consoles for some time, and personally, if a game comes out on both Switch and PS4, I'm likely to learn towards the PS4 version, but then again, I don't play nearly as much on the go. If I traveled more and was able to play on the go, I'd see the argument for Switch versions.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I don't have a PS4 but plan on getting one soonish. Mostly for Death Stranding, Persona and The Last Guardian. I do have an Xbox, which is a reasonable substitute in this scenario. Currently, of the multiplats that are coming out for both Switch and the others, I'll be getting the Switch version because being able to turn it on and off standby, during otherwise wasted downtime like commutes and waiting around, is much more valuable to me than the polygons and fidelity lost. Not to mention the Switch turns on far quicker and navigates easier than both Xbox and PS4, so when I want to play a game I'm not wasting time navigating.

Secondly, I like Nintendo games. As I see it, Zelda will be the game of 2017 unless Mario Odyssey is. Plus you've got Mario Kart, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade and more this year, which is a first party lineup that can't be beaten. I guess we won't get every CoD and Assassin's Creed, but I can and do live without those. Sure I'm looking forward to Death Stranding and Crackdown 3, but there's little else that Sony and Microsoft have to sway me. In an industry living on software sales, Nintendo has an historically higher attach rate for games. Even the Wii, which could be criticised for selling only because of Wii Sports, has a fantastic attach rate compared to Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo has sold more copies of Zelda on Switch than they have Switches. Not to mention Nintendo just announced some of its online services, which in addition to being cheaper than the offerings from Sony and Microsoft includes free classic Nintendo games. And classic Nintendo games are objectively better than classic Sony/Microsoft games.

The final aspect to me, is that in a world where the PC becoming such a prominent part of the gaming landscape, I don't see the point in owning what amounts to a weaker PC. And that's what Xbox and PS4 are essentially. If you're only going to spend $300-400 dollars on a hardware for the next 5 or 6 years, then PC is not the way to go, but that's about it. This seems to be irrelevant in this situation, so feel free to disregard this point.

Altogether, I love my Switch and would recommend it to anyone. I've given handheld mode more hours than I expected and I barely leave the house without it. For me, at least, it's exceeded the hype. And so has its lead game in Zelda.

Latest posts

')