Switched to passives

• Thread starter painless6505
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

painless6505

Reaction score
Just got a new ltd aw-7, and how I forgot the amount I love good passive pickups. Been running EMG 707's for awhile in my agile, and will now go through the process of ditching all the active stuff. So much better response and clarity with passives. Anyone else here go through same switch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jason_Clement

Reaction score
In the process of switching Blackouts for a Distortion/Jazz set :)

fassaction

Reaction score
I had been an EMG whore most of my life, and then i swapped in a set of Blackouts into one of my les pauls, and I was in love....

And then i picked up my EC1000 with the duncan jb/59 passives and I was blown away by how much better they sounded than the muddy mess that came along with Active pickups.

Cougs

Reaction score
I'm lookong at my EMGs and wondering if should do it as well.

painless6505

Reaction score
I'm lookong at my EMGs and wondering if should do it as well.

Do it, I had grown tired of the inherent issues of actives, now to relearn to play like most of the world. I had adapted to the chaos that an active pickup creates across unplayed strings

BabUShka

Reaction score
I'm installing a pair of SD Jazz/Custom SH5 in my ATX C-1 hopefully later this week to replace the EMG's.

I really like the EMG's, but all of my guitars have EMG and they sound great for low tunings. But they just doesnt have the extra dirty sprakle with crunch and other low gain settings.

Ill see if I manage to make an A/B test EMG vs passives.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I'm actually making the opposite switch, I'm going to passive to active, partly out of necessity but also because the EMG's I have sound like a "blank canvas" and allow you amp tone to really come through. They are also really clean with clear definition on every string. There are disadvantages to them as well but for what I do, I have to be able to make almost any sound possible on a guitar and actives are helpful in doing that.

But I do love the character of passive pickups. There are just to many of them. :)

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I was an EMG whore long ago, now there are VERY few guitars with them that I will even touch.

Passive FTMFW! :p

I'm actually making the opposite switch, I'm going to passive to active, partly out of necessity but also because the EMG's I have sound like a "blank canvas" and allow you amp tone to really come through. They are also really clean with clear definition on every string.

That's funny, cause I've always felt the opposite. EMGs tend to make all guitars and amps sound insanely similar to me.

elac345

Reaction score
Replaced 707s with a set of Cold Sweats, massive difference in tightness and string definition. Loss of gain easily compensated.

Latest posts

')