Switching back to guitar, need some opinions!

slenderman

Reaction score
Ayyy everybody.
So heres the lowdown:
I originally played guitar in my band, then I quit to get some life shit figured out, then I rejoined as bass; now our guitarist is leaving so im switching back to guitar.

I have an endorsement from Omega Enclosures, so I'm going to be ordering a pair of 3x12's / 2x15's. I'll be running a 5150 and a 5150ii.

But my real problem here is my guitar.
We play in G# and I really don't want to go back to sevens. (I love 7's, just enjoy playing 6's live better for some reason)

This is what I was considering:

1. Buying a Squier Jazzmaster (those new ones that just came out)
- Mod this locking tuners, and put an emg in the bridge then get it set up.

2. Building a warmoth. Which would basically just be exactly what I listed as number 1, but would buy a baritone neck.

3. LTD MH
- Hate almost all of their finishes. And so standard.

I'm kind of afraid of spending over $500. Not cause I can't afford it, but when we play I go nuts and smash my shit The Chariot style so the guitar probably wouldnt last a super super long time.

Let me know what you guys think, and if you have any other options I didnt list!

Also, check out my band:

Facebook.com/swornin

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

whisper

Reaction score
Naw man - way too many guitarists in the world. Do something like the triangle, or rain stick - y'know, something challenging :^P

littlemurph7976

Reaction score
I would love one of those New Patriot Baritone's, I think they look awesome. They are difficult to get a hold of in the UK though unfortunately :(

Sounds like you're not sure whether or not you want a baritone scale guitar?

My advice would be to see if you can try a guitar with an extended scale, see how you like it. If I was tuning down to Low G#, I'd definately want the extra scale length to help with clarity and tension.

slenderman

Reaction score
I would love one of those New Patriot Baritone's, I think they look awesome. They are difficult to get a hold of in the UK though unfortunately :(

Sounds like you're not sure whether or not you want a baritone scale guitar?

My advice would be to see if you can try a guitar with an extended scale, see how you like it. If I was tuning down to Low G#, I'd definately want the extra scale length to help with clarity and tension.

I absolutely love longer scale necks! And baritones rule! Its just hard finding one I like. I hate any les paul styled shit.

littlemurph7976

Reaction score
Agile is a very good shout!
I absolutely love longer scale necks! And baritones rule! Its just hard finding one I like. I hate any les paul styled shit.
So single cuts are out of the picture, give Agile a look, they make a few different styled baritones. Off the top of my head, there's also these:

Fender Blacktop Tele (Single cut, but it's sexy)
0148700581_frt_wlg_001.jpg

PRS Mike Mushok sig
prs%2Bse%2Bmike%2Bmushok.jpg

The older Ibanez Mike Mushok sig (would have to be 2nd hand)
1096.jpg

There's also some other odds and ends, like Shecter currently makes a Baritone Hellraiser with a 30" scale, and used to make a few other different shaped baritones. There also are baritone Fender Jaguar type things around, and Music Man made a 30" baritone in their OLP line, not sure if they still do or not. Yamaha have also made some superstrat styled baritones which had floyd roses and 27" (I think) scale. Hope I helped some :yesway:

Last edited:

slenderman

Reaction score
Agile is a very good shout!

So single cuts are out of the picture, give Agile a look, they make a few different styled baritones. Off the top of my head, there's also these:

Fender Blacktop Tele (Single cut, but it's sexy)
0148700581_frt_wlg_001.jpg

PRS Mike Mushok sig
prs%2Bse%2Bmike%2Bmushok.jpg

The older Ibanez Mike Mushok sig (would have to be 2nd hand)
1096.jpg

There's also some other odds and ends, like Shecter currently makes a Baritone Hellraiser with a 30" scale, and used to make a few other different shaped baritones. There also are baritone Fender Jaguar type things around, and Music Man made a 30" baritone in their OLP line, not sure if they still do or not. Yamaha have also made some superstrat styled baritones which had floyd roses and 27" (I think) scale. Hope I helped some :yesway:

Id be all over that PRS if it was like a flat black matte finish!

kevdes93

Sassy
Reaction score
nothings stopping you from repainting it!

im gonna vouch for the blacktop tele. i regret selling mine dearly :(

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Go Warmoth, quality is way above anything from LTD/Squier/etc...

slenderman

Reaction score
I ended up just sticking with my trusty rg7321.

I painted it white, took out the neck pickup put in an emg 707 with an 18v mod and added a killswitch. It's fucking killer! Ill post a video sometime next week for anyone who is interested

Kharem

Reaction score
One of the dudes from Northlane plays an ESP LTD VB-400 in G# live and did most of the recording for Discoveries with it, which is just a ltd viper with a 27" neck, there pretty cheap if you can find one somewhere, like 600 here in aus but pretty hard to find in the first place. The VB-200 is the same but with passives as well if you can find one of them. Some people seem to hate the viper's though so depends what you want.

')