Switching to 7 string: Need direction!

• Thread starter TristensMusic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new on this forum. I joined awhile back; but never quite got around to posting! Anyways, I had a question about making the switch from 6 string guitars to 7 string.

Here is a little bit about me, to help you answer the question:

I've been playing about 1 1/2 years, although I played percussion and drums in school for about 3 before that (So, I'm not completely new when it comes to music.) I have studied and practiced rigorously for the short time I've been playing and I have a working knowledge of scales, modes, and arpeggios, and how to use them in different keys, etc..

I've played a LP most of the time, but I was really inspired by Chris Broderick to pick up a 7, so I got a cheap Ibanez RG7321 on CL just to try one out and I love it! It has opened up my mind to things I never even thought of, I also prefer the 25 1/2 scale length.

So my question is, will it "stunt my growth," so to speak, because of my limited time playing standard guitars? I only ask because all my favorite 7 stringers didn't start playing 7's till after years of playing 6's. I realize that they weren't widely available (or even invented,) until Steve Vai had his created, so that is probably why my favorites didn't pick one up earlier, but could this potentially be a problem for me? Should I hold off on playing 7's before I get a few more years under my belt of playing normal guitars? Or should I just continue on with playing it, and not even worry? :hbang:

Thank you so much for any replies!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Your fine, get 7 string! From the standpoint of a teacher, I do think guitarists should start on 6 string guitars simply because most guitars are 6 strings and its more difficult to mentally switch from 7 strings to 6 if you have never played a 6 string. You've played a 6 string for a year and a half, you won't forget how; and no, a 7 string will not stunt your growth.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
The only thing that will stunt your growth would be to never challenge yourself. If it's tough to play, it's good for you, regardless of how many strings you've got on your guitar.

But honestly, if you've only been playing for a year and a half-- there's no such thing as stunting your growth. As many minutes as you are touching that guitar you are getting better.

Stunting your growth would be more akin to having played for 10 years and then getting a job that makes you so busy that you can hardly practice 30 minutes a week, and then when you do play you only play songs that you've already known how to play for years. (like me... :ugh:)

smethubd

Reaction score
I played 6's for about six years and totally skipped 7's and jumped right to 8's. My biggest piece of advice would be to know the fret board really well and understand how things are shaped such as chords, progressions, inversions, etc. For me, it was an easy transition and I really enjoy the extra range that I can utilize.

leoseanster12

Big Gojira
Reaction score
It's like asking yourself if starting out with Yngwie Malmsteen licks is a good idea when you first start learning guitar. To that I say hell yes! More power to you if you decide to pick up a 7 string sooner than others.

I've always thought of it as more of a stylistic approach - that is, if you are inspired to play a 7 (in your case by Broderick) and want to learn 7 string stuff, then by all means do so. The only way you'll 'stunt' yourself is if you do not develop yourself musically, which not only encompasses learning other genres of your interest, but also not learning how music works in general.

That's why I endorse beginners who even want to learn Malmsteen; as long as they appreciate the musical approach behind it and understand how/why it works, then stylistically, it doesn't differ from another student who just wants to play Jason Mraz all day but still grasps the musical concepts behind it. Same goes for your 6/7 string endeavours.

')