Switching to Seven String Guitar

• Thread starter mindsmoothieoby
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I just have some questions about seven string guitar, and more specifically, switching to it from six string.

I want to get a Schecter Damien 7 for my first seven string, since it's in my price range. But I can only get so many guitars, and I have to make sure the guitar I pick is the right one, the one I know is for me. I haven't played it yet, but I have some questions before I go to guitar center and get pressured to buy something.

#1. The guitar of which I speak is baritone scale, right? I've heard that it's not that hard to switch to baritone scale, but the guy I heard it from, was, to put it bluntly, a lying asshole. So I need to know the truth. Should standard Gibson scale be that hard to transition from?

#2. Big, open chordy riffs. I really like Opeth. Does having that seventh string there make it harder to play riffs from songs like Blackwater Park, Godhead's Lament, and others.

#3. The review didn't really specify, should the next on the above mentioned guitar work well for shred and neoclassical? That's really what I'm into, and having that 7th string should help with sweeps and long scalular runs. Along with prog, and Meshuggah.

That's it. Sorry if I somehow broke your internet etiquette rules.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rasse

Reaction score
#1. I switched from a 24.75 scale ESP LTD to a Schecter Blackjack with a 26.5 scale and it wasn't really THAT bad. got used to it fairly quickly though I prefer the 24.75 for everything except lead stuff

#2. You don't have to use the 7th string. I've heard most people have no problems playing 6 string songs on a 7 string guitar, but it did take me a month or so to get used to. Though after that it's not like the 7th string will be a restricting thing.

#3. Can't really answer that since shredding is not my thing at all :)

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
1. Personally, that's not something I ever thought about when getting guitars and it never changed anything. So, chances are, you're good to go.

2. It might be a struggle at first, but it won't be a problem after a while. You can also use this to get a more accurate picking hand, since you have to concentrate on what string you're hitting/not hitting.

3. Can't answer that either cause I think every neck has it's advantages and disadvantages for shredding.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
1. It depends on the individual a hell of a lot.
Some players, like myself, can't even play 27 inch scale guitars the same as their 25.5 inch scale guitars because they do a lot of stretches below the 7th fret and anything much bigger than 25.5 inches makes stuff awkward and sometimes even painful to play. If you don't play anything overly technical, don't constantly use big stretches and have at least medium sized hands/fingers you will be fine.

2. You'll be fine. The majority of stuff I play on my seven string (when I play other artists stuff) is 6 string music. It took me about 2 hours to get used to playing 6 string stuff on my 7 string, it's easy.

3. Schecters have fast necks. Whether you like the neck profile is an entirely other matter and you just need to try it to see if it works for you.
For me personally? Schecter necks are too thick and cause my hands to cramp and fatigue. For you, I have no idea.

Here's a 4th for ya:
Try out a number of brands and makes before you settle on one guitar. It's ALWAYS important to do as much research as possible before spending a wad of cash like that and if possible always try out what you're interested in.
DO NOT feel pressured to buy something by someone working at the shop. Show them that you're confident, that you know what you're talking about and that you want to test and inspect things (inspecting Quality control of an instrument is crucial, don't settle for an instrument with problems) thoroughly before you can make a decision.
If they keep pressuring you and annoying you, it's time to show them they lost a potential sale and move on to another place where you will get treated better.

Reaction score
I went from a 24.5 inch to a 26.5 which is almost at baritone scale, and I had no issues at all adjusting to the larger scale; but I do have bigger hands.

prplhz

Reaction score
I just got my first 7 and I have had 0 problems adjusting to the extra string. The scale length is only 25.5 so it wasn't much of a step up from what I was used to. I was kinda ready for it anyways. I'm about ready to start looking for an 8 now. :lol:

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
I play an Omen 7 (was also my first 7 string). I have a pair of dainty little girl hands but had no problem adjusting to the 7-string whatsoever. Welcome to the team :yesway::shred:

')