Swung/Straight Switch w/ Corresponding Tempo Jump

hk_golgatha

has two first names
Reaction score
I was curious about opinions on a certain technique that can be hard to describe with words. Basically it involves playing at a certain tempo in straight 4/4, moving into a section at the same tempo but with swung 4/4, and then taking your swung sixteenth notes and jumping the tempo up so that straight sixteenths equal the speed of the swung sixteenths of the prior tempo. It gives a very interesting sound/effect.
I know one example of this technique can be found all throughout Gojira's From Mars to Sirius album.
Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm curious as to if you guys think it sounds too random or disconnected.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
I've done that in an Algarothsyum song on the album. it starts off as triplets at one tempo, and then those triplets transition into straight eighth notes at a slower tempo.

Another good example of that is Dream Theater - The Mirror.

hk_golgatha

has two first names
Reaction score
PTH tends to jump around randomly when it comes to tempo (i.e. the first movement of Fortress). That being said, the first movement of Fortress (tracks 1-3) is one of the funnest things to play through on guitar.
C'est sounds similar to what I'm talking about but I'm not sure it's exactly what I mean. It just sounds like a small tempo jump and a change to the swing. I'm trying to find the point on From Mars that showcases this best.

hk_golgatha

has two first names
Reaction score

Ocean Planet - Gojira. Around 3:35 it switches from the swung 16ths to the straight 16ths and it speeds up. This is what I'm talking about.

8last

Reaction score
If I read the op right theres a deadmau5 track called Sophie needs a ladder that starts out with a similar concept

K3V1N SHR3DZ

Reaction score
Seems to me that they're just switching from 12/8 to 4/4.

If you're in 12/8 (8th note triplets) @ 120bmp, then the 8th notes are at a tempo of 360 per minute.
If you play them them so that every other 8th is on the downbeat, you get Quarter notes (6/4, I guess) @ 180bmp.

120x3=360 360/2=180

Mostly, you hear it done with 4/4 rather than 6/4, but it's actually very common.

Attachments

• hk_golgatha tempo change.ptb
    1.3 KB · Views: 3

hk_golgatha

has two first names
Reaction score
Hm. Interesting.
My band is doing something in a new song that starts with straight 4 at 110, moves to swung four at 110, then straight at 165. The swung eighths become the regular eighths, basically.

hmmm_de_hum

Reaction score
It sounds like a simple form of metric modulation if that's the term you're looking for, very cool concept once you start getting into subdivisions of 5 and so.

Latest posts

')