SYL in Total Guitar mag...

• Thread starter Chris D
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris D

Fiddich or Morangie???
Reaction score
Yep, there's a "guest lesson" thing with a bunch of 7string stuff in there.

It's in the January issue with Zakk on the front.
Unusual & cool to see anything for 7string in a guitar mag... :yesway:

Mostly sweeping stuff.
They're open G tuned (GCGCGCE), but use "standard" shapes (!)
To quote Devin, our bipolar buddy & ambassador for male-pattern-baldness:
"with this tuning it sounds different. Our philosophy is, 'If a note sounds wrong, we'll play it louder.' That way, it's a loud wrong thing." :hbang:

BTW, what SYL track do you rate most?
My current fave is "Shitstorm"... I like the mix of blastbeat DM shred, BM synth bliss-out, metaaaal vocals, sub-bass breakdown & children-school-choir chorus! :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Read that in the shops, but didn't buy it due to monetary constrictions (I get kicked out of newsagents a lot for doing that :rolleyes: ). Looked pretty cool. The 'sweeping in an open tuning' idea is something I'm going to experiment with... Really need a tremel-no on my seven to play with all my open tuning on that (ARE YOU LISTENING KEVAN?).

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
I have that issue, I might have to copy the tabs out for you... I better be careful incase I get sued though. :lol:

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Beelzebloke said:
Yep, there's a "guest lesson" thing with a bunch of 7string stuff in there.

It's in the January issue with Zakk on the front.
Unusual & cool to see anything for 7string in a guitar mag... :yesway:

Mostly sweeping stuff.
They're open G tuned (GCGCGCE), but use "standard" shapes (!)
To quote Devin, our bipolar buddy & ambassador for male-pattern-baldness:
"with this tuning it sounds different. Our philosophy is, 'If a note sounds wrong, we'll play it louder.' That way, it's a loud wrong thing." :hbang:

BTW, what SYL track do you rate most?
My current fave is "Shitstorm"... I like the mix of blastbeat DM shred, BM synth bliss-out, metaaaal vocals, sub-bass breakdown & children-school-choir chorus! :shred:
Yep, that feature is nuttier that a squirrels sandwich. I like the way they refer to Devin as "Captain Wank". :lol:

Favourite SYL track is a toss-up between "Detox" and "Love?".

I did e-mail them a while ago asking for a feature on 7-stringers to show the diversity of the instrument. Maybe if we all had a go we'd get it!

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
Since I'm on holiday and have nothing to do I'll be a nice person and tab them and rip the soundfiles as well so you can hear Devin play them. I'll try and PT them, but I REALLY have no idea how to use it other than pressing the play button and writing the numbers down :confused:

Guess I better figure it out lol.

bizkit666

She's A Waterfall
Reaction score
saw them last night, support arch enemy, id never really given them the time of day before but they put on one hell of a show, the guitarist/vox is hillarious blowwin greenies thru his nose and eatin em, jus all round hillarious stage show :D

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
Lol check this quote out:

"I'm really a bass player at heart, so I'm getting ESP to build me an eight-string, and then I can add an extra low C string."

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Devin absolutely rocks - I'd never read an interview with him, and would be VERY curious to.

')