Systematic Chaos

• Thread starter hmmm_de_hum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
The cd is great. Their best in years. Jp's tone is outstanding. the playing is great and the se dvd is fuckign cool as hell too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
The cd is great. Their best in years. Jp's tone is outstanding. the playing is great and the se dvd is fuckign cool as hell too.

I agree, though I didn't get the DVD. Everything about this album sounds crisper and more vital than their other recent work, to my ears...less "thick", somehow.

Somehow I think Portnoy's been listening to a little more jazz lately, because he seems to be taking more of his aggression out on the hi-hat and less on the toms, which definitely opens up the sound a little bit.

I even detected a bit of a groove in one of the songs. :)

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
Jp's tone is much improved as well. I read he relied heavily on the mark 4 as opposed to his usual rectos and lonestar.

Thomas

Stranger
Reaction score
I'll probably get flamed for this, but I honestly thought all of Petrucci's solos this time out were just incredibly boring. His lead lines (and those insane unisons) were as great as ever, but when everyone else backed off and I'm thinking, hey, here comes a solo from one of the greatest guitarists on Earth, all I was hearing was him screwing around on a Phrygian Dominant scale.

As much as I adore Phrygian Dominant, I'll have to agree here. He's used it so much throughout the last several albums (and solo album) that even a different approach to phrasing it won't make the lead work using the scale come off as interesting and unpredictable. :shrug:

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah - it's a song about him basically getting ready to leave the band. Initially Portnoy wasn't really comfortable with including it because it's so different from the rest of Awake, and he's said since that had he known Moore would have left before the Awake tour, they'd have cut it. It's a good thing they didn't, it's easily my favorite Dream Theater composition.

Now, go buy "Dead Air..." If you want, you can stream the whole album (as well as all of Moore's catalogue he has exclusive rights to) from his website, chroma key

EDIT - it seems "Dead Air..." is out of print. :/

I agree 25,000% with this, though Moore's stuff of late has gotten too experimental/quirky, DAFR is perhaps one of the most brilliant "texture & feeling" albums ever. :bowdown: Go but some Tribe After Tribe while you're at it people. :)

D

Desecrated

DT has always sounded best without the singer. Portnoy's vocals are just embarrassing. I found very much of the synth to be annoying.

I actually liked the little more simple guitar solos, petrucci has a nice tone. The mix is very good but there is still more to be wanted.

Best album is still "An Evening With John Petrucci and Jordan Rudens."

ctr88x

Reaction score
So I have seriously been in tears from laughing while watching the Bonus DVD. It's like Spinal Tap 2 or something. The bits where Petrucci tries to explain his lyrics are amazingly (and accidentally?) funny, and there's one bit where they really really piss off Labrie that was great too. Another highlight is Labrie singing Prophets of War in an Indian accent.

jaredowty

Reaction score
Thought I'd give a fuller review...

Definitely not as bad as Octavarium, but still not up to par with ToT and other previous releases. The drumming, vocals, and bass all sound pretty recycled, but Petrucci has definitely stepped up his phrasing and versatility, which is saying something since he's been playing for so damn long. The guitar tone is his best yet and every solo is amazing. The musicianship is spot on, as usual. Most of the lyrics are very laughable to say the least...about vampires, pharoahs, demons....I can't even count how many times "into the night" is said on this album. It's just really stale and repetitive, and is trying to be too dark. ToT, on the other hand, was really dark, heavy and modern without sounding cheesy for the most part.

My thoughts on each track so far....

In the Presence of Enemies Pt. 1 - Really cool, proggy song. Sounds like something off SDOIT a lot of the time. Cool vocal melodies. It's 9:00 but sounds more like 4:00, which is always a positive note. 9/10

Forsaken - Pretty much "These Walls" Part Deaux. Pretty catchy, though. Great guitar solo. 8/10

Constant Motion - The first single from the album. Really fast and intense, yet cheesy as hell. Labrie and Portnoy's vocals are both terribly annoying. I really can't listen to this song all that much. 5/10

The Dark Eternal Night - Now THIS is heavy DT! Cheesy lyrics, but awesome grooves and an amazing mid-section. If you're like me and you're into the "Dance of Eternity" type DT-wankage, then this song is for you. 9/10

Repentance - Part four of Mike Portnoy's AA saga. It revolves around the clean version of the main This Dying Soul riff, and is really laid back the whole time. The guitar solo is the best on the album, really emotional with great phrasing. However, the rest is a bit boring. There are some spoken lines at the end from Mikael Akerfeldt, Steve Wilson, Corey Taylor, Dave Ellefson, and a few other well known rock/metal musicians that are friends of the band. 7/10

Prophets of War - Yay, another Muse ripoff! Borrriiinngggg, though the chorus is quite catchy. 6/10

The Ministry of Lost Souls - Sounds waaayyy too much like the title track from Octavarium, which gets on my nerves. It's also way too long. 5/10

In the Presence of Enemies Pt. 2 - Haven't given this one a fair listen, so no opinion so far.

Lankles

Fuelled by Chicken alone.
Reaction score
DT's lyrics have been horribly cheesy since Scenes from a Memory.

"The witnesss ran to caaalforassistance"

god9

Contributor
Reaction score
How come in the docu I only heard Myung talk like once?... Is he a mute?..seriously.

..and I don't think I've ever seen him in an interview either.

Good album too

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I fucking love this album, it's great. I like the singing, the tone, it's all great.

The only problems I have are:

1. The solo in The Dark Eternal Night. It kinda sucks in the beginning, but it gets better.

2. I know Repentance is the continuation of Portnoy's AA thing. It's an awesome song, but I just wanted it to be heavy like the other ones. I wanted it to have the sweet riff that was in The Glass Prison and This Dying Soul.

That's really it.

Someone said it earlier that Forsaken made them think of Evanescence, I totally fucking agree. It really feels like an Evanescence song.

Prophets of War has this really cool beat that feels like a Techno or Dance song too, it's fucking awesome.

There's really not any songs I don't like.

leatherface2

Reaction score
o.k im realy into mike portnoys alcoholics anonymous suite...............glass prison,this dying soul,the root of all evil,and repentance.and im waiting patiently for the other ones steps 10 11 and 12 anyone else following this shit.very cool lyric writing. the new album is as usual gona be another dt classic.like rush and a few other bands they have a very strong fan base

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
The reason Repentance isn't as heavy as the previous tracks in the 'suite' is because when they finally complete all 12 steps, and go on to play the whole thing live they need a 'breather' from the more or less consistently heavy and intense (by DT standards anyway) songs leading up to it. It's purely a contrast thing and to give to suite some peaks and valleys.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
DT's lyrics have been horribly cheesy since Scenes from a Memory.

"The witnesss ran to caaalforassistance"

That's kind of the necessary evil of a rock opera - LaBrie was basically singing a news story there. It's when they're NOT trying to tell a story over an entire allbum (in the strict sense of the phrase) that it's kind of unforgiveable.

Krunch

Krunch SMASH
Reaction score
Mine came in a few days ago. I've been enjoying it. It's entertaining but it doesn't hold a candle to old DT. I'd say it's worth the money but I wouldn't expect anything groundbreaking.

I really like Prophets of War, Constant Motion, and parts of In the Presence of Enemies.

One thing I don't care for is how so much (not all but much) of the vocals sound so slow, dragged out and deliberate. That's something that I started hearing more with Six Degrees, and everything after.

I think The Dark Eternal Night would have been better if they'd just made it an instrumental. The verse/chorus vocals just don't feel like they fit the rest of the instruments. :scratch: If it had been The Dance of Eternity part 2 I would have been happier.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, I still like the album.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
* Please note, I based my opinion on after just 5 listens *

My initial thought after just 5 listens is, IMHO, TOT sounds better...

I have been a DT fan since 1992, and compared to their last 4 or so albums, I think the overall quality of the songs in this album have dropped off a little. Sure, they still sound better than average, but they don't get me as excited as other DT album upon just 5 listens. Also, I thought the album as a whole lack passion as well. Sure, the band is trying a darker tone and all, but for the first time ever, I thought they are trying something new and somehow failed this time...

My biggest disappointment is in ITPoE Pt.1 & 2. Simply put, it has nice moments here and there, this song is just NOT as grand nor as epic as it should've been! Hell, the beginning of Pt.1 sounds almost exactly like OSI... :noplease: oh, ain't that very fast shredding part sounds almost exactly like Steve Vai's Wipe Out 2000? :lol:

MoLS so far seems to be the best song in the album, but I thought the build up on the song is not executed as well as Sacrified Sons, and somehow the first 7:30 or so sounds predictable...

TDEN (aka the monster song) has very good potential to be a great tune, BUT, what is up with the solo portion? Maybe it is just me, but didn't it turn into a Simpsons like feel in the first part?

All in all, maaaaaybe I will grow to like it later on, but after just 5 listens I am dying for some Octavarium the song, and TOT...

JKO

Reaction score
Azyiu, very good summary.

"In the Prescence of Enemies Part 1" is very good in parts, but the "do you still wait for your Goooood..."-section is just plain. "Forsaken" is also decent with a pretty good solo, but again, the chorus just drags on and on, culminating in a big nothing really - with Labrie sounding very tired.

"Constant Motion" could have been a classic if the verses had been a little more creative. I do think Troochi's solo is awesome though, easily the best on the album for me. The intro riff is interesting too and something that, at the very least, sounds fresh. "The Dark Eternal Night" is damn cool, IMO. Just brutal riffing throughout. I will admit at this point I don't listen too much to lyrics, but they've been covered comprehensively and so no need to do that again.

I can't make up my mind about "Repentance". The change of pace is nice, but the song lacks direction and I feel that some of the chord changes simply don't work. Also, the song is at least three minutes too long for its own good. "Prophets of War" is yet another love/hate deal. The main riff is decent enough, but the start and the almost disco-flavor in some places is just awful. It ends up sounding like a cheap attempt at getting the crowds to sing and shout at concerts. Sort of like Megadeth's "Crush 'Em". Meh...

"The Ministry of Lost Souls" is just waaay too slow. The first part drags on forever and it ain't nearly good enough to be doing that. The middle section is good, but not great and this turns out to be yet another song that is simply too long with respect to the quality contained. Furthermore, Labrie sounds like he's about to fall asleep at any moment.

"Part 2", much like "Part 1", has some very cool parts sprinkled, but isn't solid enough as a whole. It starts off in fine fashion, with that mellow part leading into the "Dark Master" parade... Those "heys" by the "crowd" at about the six minute mark just seem so unnecessary and cheap, though. The following mid-section is very good and cutting, but at around the elven minute mark the band cuts to a solo by Petrucci that just doesn't fit where it is placed. When they finally cut that out at after about thirteen minutes comes perhaps my favourite section. I would have loved some solos on top of the section at about 13:50. It would have been a perfect place to fade out. Instead, they go back, needlessly, to the "dark master" part, extending the song beyond its capabilities.

All in all, plenty of good ideas throughout, just not very good songs. I think my main gripe about this album may just be the lack of Rudess throughout. He's so under-used it's almost criminal. Some of his solos sound like they were put in just for the hell of it, and his chord-work underwhelms. The other thing is obviously the length of the album. It seems like they tried squeezing nearly 80 minutes out of maybe 50 minutes worth of material and the record suffered for it.

I'm starting to think that Dream Theater may be in need of some sort of a break to get their act together again.

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
i kinda see it like this: progressive bands are only good as long as they are progressive. now that they have "found their style" its not interresting anymore.

up to scenes from a memory they mixed and tried out all kinds of styles and sounds, cuminating in sfam, wich was kinda.. well, a summary of dream theater.

after that they started with these household rock albums.

its like they squeeze in some complicated chromatic parts here and there in non-4/4 in between simlpe riffs just to.. make sure they dont "sell out".

but totally nothing is progressive about the past 4 or so albums, infact, its predictable as hell. and predictable music, they dont do better than ok.

i kinda listen to systematic chaos and i think "i wonder wich one /who of these guys who still wanna play crazy awake music and wich one / who is holding him/them back?" i just end up with various alternatives.

i try to listen to the drums to hear if mike is gettin tired and want to go predictable, sometimes i do, sometimes i feel that he is still playful.
i try to listen to labrie (wich i never really liked), he seems the same.
i try to listen to the fifth or whatever synth/piano dude they have, i dont really care. hes doin an ok job for what i know.
i try to listen to the base to hear if mutedude is cranky, he doesnt seem like it.
i try to listen to almighty john, he seem to be teasing me, sometimes playful, at times he just seems fast, nothing to it. then once in a while comes these 4/4 E, E, F, E ,E ,E F, E, E, 10yearoldwritesthese riffs. not heavy. the mirror is heavy. tden isnt.

again, in my opinion. and i still enjoy systematic chaos for many reasons, -this wasnt my complete personal review, only the whine part- :)

')