Systematic Chaos

• Thread starter hmmm_de_hum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hmmm_de_hum

Reaction score
Wow my copy arrived this morning, 1 day before release date :metal:

Just whoa...i am blown away, it is utterly fantastic, a true rebirth into 7 string riffage on a couple of tracks.

The track Repetance being a 10 minute continuation to Mike Portnoy's 12 step rehabilitation program, starting with the verse riff from this dying soul it enters some synth laden heaven, trippy stuff.

This album has continued the great legacy DT have left so far with amazing albums, all in their own way a little different from the predecessor. I must say this is ultimately a little darker and more guitar based than other installments but its a nice contrast to the usual weird time sig stuff, a direct reflection on their new label.

Buy it now, trust me :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Brett89

Reaction score
Well I heard a few minutes from it somewhere, I like their music very much, but to be honest I don't realy like this "darker, heavier" side of the band, I don't like Train of Thought much at all too...

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not really a DT fan at all so I'm sure my opinion will mean eve less than it usually does, but the lyrics on the new stuff seem beyond trite. Every line seemed as if they'd randomly shoved in some "metal" words, I swear I heard "into the NIGHTTTTT" at least eighteen times. Plus, is someone else helping out on the tough-guy vocals? Either that or Labrie is trying way too hard...

hmmm_de_hum

Reaction score
Yeah it's Portnoy doing the he-man vocals, i do see your point about them losing ideas for lyrics...the dark eternal night is entirely based upon the things than get you in your sleep and monsters in general.

shaneroo

Oh, herrrrro......
Forum MVP
Reaction score
well, feel free to hate on me, but i think since scenes from a memory, dream theater may have lost a little magic. might be since images and words and awake were in my high school years or something.
the playing is of course, beyond technically proficient. but, i think as some of you have mentioned, the songs and lyrics are losing something (my opinion).
on top of that, i feel that the vox get worse on each album. i don't like the portnoy "he-man" vox at all, but i honestly feel he could probably sing better than lebrie right now.
and what ever happened to petrucci's stage performance? once again, they nail it live, no doubt, but come on!
i still have tons of respect for dream theater. i just wish they would look back on their albums "images and words" "awake" and "scenes from a memory" for more inspiration.

Hawksmoor

Wannabe Shredder
Reaction score
I like it, like it a lot better than Octavarium. The tones are top notch and all the guys play like MF's. I like this album enough to have it in my discman two days allready ( Which says something as the usual span a disc stays in my discman rarelty exceeds its length).
Is it me or has JP become more ... well lyrical on some of the songs, I hear a lot of Glassgow Kiss in there.

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
I think I'm part of the minority that likes Train of Thought. The two songs I've heard from Systematic Chaos are definitely in a similar vein, and I dig 'em.

Reaction score
I agree that since Senes from a memory (with falling into infinity as an exception) the quality of their albums has kinda dropped a bit. I do think Systematic chaos is an improvement from Octavarium though!

The stuff that they do best is their epics and in the presence of enemies is an awesome epic! Great work on this latest piece!

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
Oh, crap! I totally forgot about it being relase date. :wallbash: *leaves to check mailbox*

I didn't get my copy today. :noway:

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
well, feel free to hate on me, but i think since scenes from a memory, dream theater may have lost a little magic. might be since images and words and awake were in my high school years or something.
the playing is of course, beyond technically proficient. but, i think as some of you have mentioned, the songs and lyrics are losing something (my opinion).
on top of that, i feel that the vox get worse on each album. i don't like the portnoy "he-man" vox at all, but i honestly feel he could probably sing better than lebrie right now.
and what ever happened to petrucci's stage performance? once again, they nail it live, no doubt, but come on!
i still have tons of respect for dream theater. i just wish they would look back on their albums "images and words" "awake" and "scenes from a memory" for more inspiration.

like.. every single word in this is so right. i was thinking about posting my 2cents til i read this, wich -exactly- explained all i wanted to write.
+1 on every sentence. :yesway:

Reaction score
Scenes from a memory is probably the best album to have ever been released... So solid from start to end, I worship that album!.. Its so amazing, and it has such feeling. I really like 6DOIT too, but after that album they lost what I love the most about DT, that feeling... They still make AMAZING music, don't get me wrong... but today the songs don't feel as solid and colorful as they used to. :( I wish they'd make another concept-story-album, Those just cant go wrong!

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
I think I'm part of the minority that likes Train of Thought. The two songs I've heard from Systematic Chaos are definitely in a similar vein, and I dig 'em.

T.O.T. is a godly album, my fav. after Awake and Metropolis Pt. 2. IMHO, Ocatavarium was weaker than T.O.T. as well as most of Six Degrees. :shrug: ...and I'm a D.T. fan from all the back to Images And Words.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
I've had this album for a month now & I looooooove it!

SFAM is a goddamn masterpiece! Recognize, suckas! Although 6DoIT & ToT were pretty good too, OctaVALIUM left something to be desired. Systematic Chaos is right up there with SFAM & Awake! :yesway:

huber

Contributor
Reaction score
I like ToT so I'll probably dig this one. I'll try and pick it up tomorrow.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
[action=desertdweller]will not be commenting on this thread.[/action]

[action=desertdweller]pops in Awake & cries himself to sleep.[/action]

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
[action=desertdweller]will not be commenting on this thread.[/action]

[action=desertdweller]pops in Awake & cries himself to sleep.[/action]

But you did. :scratch:

Awake was great, but I like all of the DT albums I have.
(Awake, SFaM, ToT, SDoIT, and soon to be, SC)

Roundhouse_Kick

Reaction score
I got it on saturday and I love it! Lyrics about vampires and monsters and such a bit on the cheesy side but I don't mind that. My favourite songs are TDEN and in the presence of enemies pt.1 . To me these guys can't put a foot wrong! :wub:

I know a lot of people just want them to keep making Images and words and awake, but I love the way they have modernised their sound over the years...As much as I love those albums if they were brought out today they would sound cheesy and out of date.

hmmm_de_hum

Reaction score
I think this album does show a different side to them with their more metal orientated label, upon listening to it more i think that it'll prove a lot more effective live than most album tours. The songs are that little bit heavier, will help in the long run to get the crowd looking more of a metal crowd if ya know what i mean (not just standing and watching like at regular DT concerts)

')