T.R.A.M. - Tosin Abasi side project

etcetera

Reaction score
Yeah, definitely good stuff but a (fretless!) bass player would do a lot for their sound imo. Glad to finally hear something!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
me-gusta-5117_preview.gif

I'm so glad they finally put something out...

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
the quality was kind of a letdown for sure. I do not dig the saxophone part where its just squeaking. I hear that enough in the music building. I do not like flute a lot either.

Less pumped about this album now, but Just gotta wait and see how this turns out. A few more listens maybe. Also...it's a possibility that they could have been tearing this track apart and just threw it together to get something out...I would expect better from abasi and sumerian...but it could be a marketing strategy.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
It's alright.

It's just that none of it feels thought out.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keep in mind it's not mastered either...

Given it hasn't been mastered I'd say it sounds pretty damn good, still looking forward to the album. Also agree with others, a bassist would be a nice addition.

Skyblue

Reaction score
I like it, but I still don't why don't they use a bassist... I think it'll help their sound a lot

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
I think the solo goes too far out of the box for the confines of what the main riff produces.

As far as the full song goes, it doesn't sound too bad, but there is some definite slop in the playing, and I don't understand the mix at all.

As far as jazz 'cycling' of solos goes, I find Ever Forthright have it better than this displayed to a degree, and kept the guitar/sax/drum/piano cycling of solos much better than this did, really only showcasing guitar and flute, where's my drum solo!? :lol:
Also, the overuse of a lo-fi effect on Tosin's soloing really distracts from what it could be.

I feel the riffing is a bit too 'metal - distortion' to allow for the jazziness of the other instrumentation.

Honestly, it was good, but it's a confusing mixture of elements, and not quite the way some fusion intentionally causes.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
It's interesting but I'm not as blown away as I thought I would be.

But I'm looking forward to the whole album and I think I could get into it a lot more.

But I defenitely agree that a bassist would be give a better mix and I'm quite surprised they don't have a bassist for a jazz fusion setting?

The Beard

Suttbex
Reaction score
As far as the full song goes, it doesn't sound too bad, but there is some definite slop in the playing, and I don't understand the mix at all.

Like someone said earlier, we gotta keep in mind that this is only an unmixed version :yesway:
I can't wait to hear the mixed version as well as the rest of the album! I also think that a bassist would round out the sound very well, and you'd think a bassist would be a bit of a necessity for this style of music. :shrug:
Other than that I like it so far, but I'm still increasingly confused in the fact that they haven't been promoting this all that much :nuts:

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
I actually like how they didn't emphasize the soloing too much, allowing the other members to shine just as equally, if not more, than Tosin. Because let's face it, if Tosin wasn't in this project then there would not be as much hype (although I have to say I'd still be interested regardless, the back catalog of all these musicians is fucking sex to my ears :lol:). So in that respect, I kinda dig the lo-fi effect on his solo parts and how the sax almost melts into the guitar in the latter parts of the song.

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
I think a fretless bass could really round this project out. Robin Zielhorst or Sean Malone could take it to the clouds.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Robin Zielhorst

That's exactly what my brother said!(he's a bassist too)

As far as the song goes..I really think some sax improv parts don't sound that good and they ruin it temporally.That's not mars volta damnit :lol:

Tosin's sound isn't at all bad..i like the weirdness of it,because it can be supported since the mix isn't THAT dense (well..also missing a bassist :lol: )

etcetera

Reaction score
I think a fretless bass could really round this project out. Robin Zielhorst or Sean Malone could take it to the clouds.

Yep, these are the two bass players who sprung to mind for me too!

Did anyone manage to record that gig they had today, or know if it's been uploaded somewhere?

')