T.V. shows you've been watching

• Thread starter pushpull7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
thinks its too early to start a thread but watched ep 1 of west world

thought it was an interesting start . looking forward to more

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Watched the first 3 episodes of Atlanta. Damn good. A simple show, but very well written so far.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Watched the first 3 episodes of Atlanta. Damn good. A simple show, but very well written so far.

I'm a big fan of Gambino's albums, and really loved him on Community, so naturally I jumped on this one from the get-go.

Like you said, it's a real simple/subtle humor, dark at times, but damn if it isn't hilarious.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Regular Show- Welcome To Space

Getting caught up on the recent deluge of new episodes. I think they've tightened up/ changed for the better. Writing/ animation is really streamlined... more fun and interesting than some past seasons. Good stuff.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I caught the premier of SyFy's "Channel Zero" tonight. It's apparently going to be an anthology series based on short stories (sigh, yes- "creepypasta") and this season is inspired by one called "Candle Cove".

The acting is pretty atrocious and the way some flashbacks are woven-in is somewhat confusing but it might be promising. Some parts were satisfyingly creepy.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Finally finished Luke Cage. Good stuff on its own right and very entertaining through and through, but I felt a bit disappointed coming from Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Normally I'd take the show at face value, but given its direct connection with the other two and the fact that it makes so many explicit references to them, it begs for a direct comparison. I'd recommend it to anyone as well, but I'd also add that they should lower their expectations a bit; DD and JJ were quite different.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Ash Vs. Evil Dead. Second series is here, can't get enough of it.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
The new American Horror Story season (I believe the full title is AHS: Knockout Game or at least I'll be calling it that) premiered last night. I suppose I'm again starting a cycle consisting of "Hmmm... this might be neat", followed by "Holy crap, that's nuts", followed by "Ugh, I'm too far along to stop", ending in "Welp, that happened".

My guess is that the producers of the show read Head Full of Ghosts and decided, "Let's try that!" The faux reality/documentary show as framing device with a clear unreliable narrator element with a-little-too-on-the-nose-even-for-AHS borrowings from other horror properties is interesting, but I read that book at the beach this summer, too.

The show is so bad. They have no idea how horror works. I try with every series, and wait, and wait... and then nothing. The second series was compelling, everything else, just terrible.

Demiurge

Reaction score
The show is so bad. They have no idea how horror works. I try with every series, and wait, and wait... and then nothing. The second series was compelling, everything else, just terrible.

Yup, and we're at episode 5 and coherence-Defcon 2. Kathy Bates with a hilariously-inscrutable accent, random "J-Horror"-style ghost, Cuba Gooding Jr. givin' it to Lady Gaga from behind, and a very precise "die here and become an instant ghost" metaphysics.

Why do I keep coming back? It seems like there's nothing legitimately scary (in a thrilling sense) any more on TV, as every show that attempts the genre tries to cut it with a certain amount of camp. Here, there's just no cap on the camp, and a premise of plumbing a diversity of horror tropes, urban legends, etc. gets drowned in cheese. Then, the spectacle becomes seeing how it happens... which makes the viewing experience event trashier that may even be the intent in the first place :lol::wallbash::lol:

Rosal76

Reaction score
Why do I keep coming back?

Same reason I keep coming back to Z Nation.

Corny, cheesy, straight up ridiculous, etc, etc, etc, but I keep watching it. Since day one and they're on their 3rd season now. I call the show, "the poor man's Walking Dead" and "The Return of the Living Dead t.v. show". My best defense against t.v. shows/movies is not to have real high expectations. If the show/movie turns out well, then that's cool, if not, well, it is what it is.

Going off topic... I saw that you mentioned the show in a earlier post but I also watched the first episode of Channel Zero because SyFy were running the trailers for it when I was watching Z Nation, which they (SyFy) also own. It's too early for me to form a opinion about it but I think its safe for us to all agree that the show is weird. As for the creature made of teeth. They should throw some sugar at it and that should kill it. :D
2Q==

MrBouleDeBowling

Reaction score
Finished Bojack Horseman. I don't praise it as much as the internet does, but it is indeed, very well done. A lot of moments are just heartwrenching. Plus, the theme song is awesome.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Yup, and we're at episode 5 and coherence-Defcon 2. Kathy Bates with a hilariously-inscrutable accent, random "J-Horror"-style ghost, Cuba Gooding Jr. givin' it to Lady Gaga from behind, and a very precise "die here and become an instant ghost" metaphysics.

Why do I keep coming back? It seems like there's nothing legitimately scary (in a thrilling sense) any more on TV, as every show that attempts the genre tries to cut it with a certain amount of camp. Here, there's just no cap on the camp, and a premise of plumbing a diversity of horror tropes, urban legends, etc. gets drowned in cheese. Then, the spectacle becomes seeing how it happens... which makes the viewing experience event trashier that may even be the intent in the first place :lol::wallbash::lol:

I've never been sure if Bates is producing some obscure, never-before-seen-on-TV, accent, or total gibberish. I'm nearly at my final verdict though...

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Finally finished Luke Cage. Good stuff on its own right and very entertaining through and through, but I felt a bit disappointed coming from Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Normally I'd take the show at face value, but given its direct connection with the other two and the fact that it makes so many explicit references to them, it begs for a direct comparison. I'd recommend it to anyone as well, but I'd also add that they should lower their expectations a bit; DD and JJ were quite different.

Granted that this stuff is entirely subjective, and that you're totally entitled to your disappointment..

Though I readily agree that DD, JJ, and LC are each different from each other, I wouldn't say any are inherently better than the others. I'd argue that all three have been equally well-written/casted/directed/acted/edited. What separates each (to me) isn't quality, but style/tone.

LC is in Harlem. In or out of canon, that's an entirely different history than Hell's Kitchen, so it makes total sense that LC would have a different feel even though DD and JJ feel a little more similar.

I don't know enough about the character to know what part of the city Iron Fist will be in, but I'm guessing it'll have a slightly different feel, too.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I've never been sure if Bates is producing some obscure, never-before-seen-on-TV, accent, or total gibberish. I'm nearly at my final verdict though...

This season, it sounds like an Amish person parodying an Irish brogue.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Granted that this stuff is entirely subjective, and that you're totally entitled to your disappointment..

Though I readily agree that DD, JJ, and LC are each different from each other, I wouldn't say any are inherently better than the others. I'd argue that all three have been equally well-written/casted/directed/acted/edited. What separates each (to me) isn't quality, but style/tone.

LC is in Harlem. In or out of canon, that's an entirely different history than Hell's Kitchen, so it makes total sense that LC would have a different feel even though DD and JJ feel a little more similar.

I don't know enough about the character to know what part of the city Iron Fist will be in, but I'm guessing it'll have a slightly different feel, too.

Yeah, I read a few reviews after watching it and after writing this one, and I think my problem is that I'm just not well acquainted with New York's incredibly varied and localized cultures and their history, which includes Harlem, so I suppose I didn't entirely relate to it. They made Harlem feel almost like a character, and since I know next to nothing about its past, it just didn't vibe with me. It sure got me interested in the culture after that, but it changed the series to a tone that I never quite got into.

I still somehow feel that DD tops everything else in the franchise atm though. Something about the protagonist that I really like, and Wilson Fisk is one of the best villains I've ever seen. He's scary as all hell. The villains were one of my biggest disappointments about LC. Cottonmouth did not feel threatening at all. Diamondback was a lot better and felt much more menacing and intelligent, but he still felt quite cartoonish to me. (Mind you, I have never read the comics, so I don't know whether or not they're purposely trying to make these villains feel "cartoonish" now.)

The dialogue also felt really cheesy somewhat often, but that might have been just me nitpicking the whole thing after finding myself unhappy with the villains.

Don't get me wrong though, I thoroughly enjoyed the show. I thought it was great. I know I make it sound negative, but I'm really just drawing comparisons with Daredevil and partially with Jessica Jones, particularly the former. The show had awesome action, fantastic shots, a cool plot, and the music was beyond great. In fact, I didn't know Raphael Saadiq before I started the show, and now it's on my playlist. :lol:

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Regarding the MCU TV series:

I'm only 4 episodes in Luke Cage, but yes I agree it's purposely different in style and tone to Daredevil and Jessica Jones. DD is dark action, JJ is noir suspense etc. In Luke Cage's case, it's harkening back to the character's Blaxspoitation origins and embracing them. The Harlem setting, the hip hop based soundtrack, there's a reason it feels like New Jack City than Batman. And there's actually something charming about that. It's very cultural and personal and even more of a neighborhood feel than DD and JJ, thus feeling like the most grounded of all the series, even with an ostensibly indestructible protagonist anyway.

I still like Daredevil best of the series so far (namely due to my fascination with Catholic guilt), it's many flaws and all, but I love all the MCU stuff all the same.

Iron Fist is one I'm definitely looking forward to. What Luke Cage is to Blaxploitation, Iron Fist is to Kung Fu movies of the 70s (Shaw Bros, Lo Wei era Jackie Chan etc). Then add all the extra mysticism lore into the mix and it'll be the most unique of the 4 solitary series in terms of tone.

wankerness

Reaction score
I've primarily seen really negative reviews about Luke Cage after the initial wave of "it's good [cause he's black]" articles (of which there were many). I guess it's really boring, Luke Cage himself is far less interesting than he was on JJ, and the villain is about as threatening as your average gangster? I dunno. I haven't watched a single one of those Marvel shows. I started Daredevil once and lost interest after less than one episode. I sorta want to see the Punisher cause everyone says he's great, but that's a whole season in!!

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Finally watching season 2 of Better Call Saul. Don't know what took me so long, since I put the first season up there with some of the best of Breaking Bad. Definitely still enjoying BCS.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Been watching This Is Us - a new series in the vein of Parenthood-ish. Really enjoying it so far.

As a side, it's been a while since I've watched anything that required me to wait a week between episodes! :lol:

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I've primarily seen really negative reviews about Luke Cage after the initial wave of "it's good [cause he's black]" articles (of which there were many). I guess it's really boring, Luke Cage himself is far less interesting than he was on JJ, and the villain is about as threatening as your average gangster? I dunno. I haven't watched a single one of those Marvel shows. I started Daredevil once and lost interest after less than one episode. I sorta want to see the Punisher cause everyone says he's great, but that's a whole season in!!

First episode of DD Season 1 is slow but picks up as it goes on. Up to you to slug it through or not.

The MCU TV series get a lot of praise but often overlook the flaws. Daredevil in particular. Charlie Cox is fine but is often stiff and doesn't seem to interact with chemistry with the rest of the cast who often overshadows him, and the fact that the whole middle episodes is Foggy and Karen trying the solve the mystery Matt Murdoch has already done, making the pace drag it's feet. And yeah, the full costume only shows up in the final episode... Jessica Jones in essence is the same arc but replace the angst driven violence with mature trauma/abuse based themes, yet keeps a lot of the slowdown of the middle episodes. It does fairly better as a series overall, thanks to a great main character.

But then both show their winning hand when they their reveal their villains. Among the best in the MCU canon, Vincent D'Onofrio is amazing as Wilson Fisk, and David Tenant does a great job as Kilgrave, both overshadowing their movie villain counterparts and up there with Loki. Both series have great dialog, and while DD has some great filmed action sequences, JJ is more the thinker's viewing making the viewer feel the same pain and trauma as the character.

Season 2 of Daredevil is also awesome, but also brings it's fair share of baggage. Everybody's praised Jon Berenthal's Punisher, and rightfully so. Not only is he the most note perfect (and straight up terrifying) rendition since Frank Grillo's character in The Purge Anarchy (which in itself is unintentionally hilarious), but he's given a human and believable dimension that resonates more than any of the previous Punisher films. Unfortunately he gets sidetracked by the show's weakest link: Electra. Yeah she's hot and all, but not only does her costume go in the same category as Age Of Ultron's Quicksilver level of bland, but the character herself but...
her entire arc is based on the whole destiny tired old trope that gives her no real substantial or sentient character.
And that sucks whenever the Punisher is shoved aside to give her screen time. I don't know much about Electra as a whole, but I'm thinking there's not much else to Frank Miller's character other than his hang ups. Lastly, Daredevil suffers from the Batman pandemic when he's not much else without more interesting antagonists to beat up. Yeah he's still got the Irish Catholic act of penance but he needs more than that to grow as a character.

Having said that, DD Season 2 is still awesome. If not worth for The Punisher alone, while still exhausting, the action scenes are better this time around (in particular the Tom Yum Goon/Protector inspired scene), and it's cool to see the DD suit in full action if you can get through all the under lit scenery.

')