T.V. shows you've been watching

• Thread starter pushpull7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Trying to finish up the final season of the Americans and it's unbelievably tedious, like the last few seasons.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
started up star trek discovery and so far i dig it. i like seeing the darker more pragmatic side of starfleet.

wankerness

Reaction score
Many people who are fans of the first four versions of Star Trek seem to dismiss it as "Star Trek by people who hate Star Trek but wanted to use the name to cash in," like the new movies but less fun (well, less fun than 1 and 3). Are you someone that's gone through the original series/TNG/DS9?

I've never seen anything positive about it, but I have only heard reactions from that group. I think maybe some of the negativity is started by the fact that to see it you have to sign up for some service that no one wants to sign up for.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
Many people who are fans of the first four versions of Star Trek seem to dismiss it as "Star Trek by people who hate Star Trek but wanted to use the name to cash in," like the new movies but less fun (well, less fun than 1 and 3). Are you someone that's gone through the original series/TNG/DS9?

I've never seen anything positive about it, but I have only heard reactions from that group. I think maybe some of the negativity is started by the fact that to see it you have to sign up for some service that no one wants to sign up for.
I've watched everything from the original series to TNG and voyager. I never really got into ds9. I've seen all of the movies as well. It's still very much star trek, it just has a darker feel to it a la star trek nemesis/khan/ the more recent films. It starts quite slow in the first episode but overall I've enjoyed the series. I only signed up for the free trial to watch this, after that I'm cancelling the service.

wankerness

Reaction score
I've watched everything from the original series to TNG and voyager. I never really got into ds9. I've seen all of the movies as well. It's still very much star trek, it just has a darker feel to it a la star trek nemesis/khan/ the more recent films. It starts quite slow in the first episode but overall I've enjoyed the series. I only signed up for the free trial to watch this, after that I'm cancelling the service.

Ha, I bet that's where most of their viewers come from. This whole experiment seems destined to fail spectacularly, although probably less spectacularly than Yahoo with Community.

I heard they were putting a ton of emphasis on explosions and grittiness and stuff while totally abandoning any utopian, exploration angles that were the goal of Trek originally, and that they really seem to have borne down on that in season 2. Oh, and then they throw in a beloved character just to make sure you know it's still Star Trek cause that guy's one of the only things anyone who doesn't care about Star Trek knows about Star Trek! You're the one who's watching it, so good to hear that there are different reactions from actual Trek fans. I follow Trek news but can't make it through seasons myself. I've seen episodes here and there of the OG trek and have seen many episodes of TNG but have no desire to watch every episode after all the warnings I've heard about season 1 of TNG :D

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
Ha, I bet that's where most of their viewers come from. This whole experiment seems destined to fail spectacularly, although probably less spectacularly than Yahoo with Community.

I heard they were putting a ton of emphasis on explosions and grittiness and stuff while totally abandoning any utopian, exploration angles that were the goal of Trek originally, and that they really seem to have borne down on that in season 2. Oh, and then they throw in a beloved character just to make sure you know it's still Star Trek cause that guy's one of the only things anyone who doesn't care about Star Trek knows about Star Trek! You're the one who's watching it, so good to hear that there are different reactions from actual Trek fans. I follow Trek news but can't make it through seasons myself. I've seen episodes here and there of the OG trek and have seen many episodes of TNG but have no desire to watch every episode after all the warnings I've heard about season 1 of TNG :D
Oh no, there's not too many explosions throughout the series besides the first few episodes, but they do tone down the utopian science/exploration vessel angle considerably and for good reason in the show, they're literally at war with the klingons. That's a stupid thing to nitpick about considering how much they emphasize that the discovery is the "tip of the spear" and is used for hit and run combat/sabotage missions (due to their specialized warp drive that basically lets them go anywhere instantaneously). It makes sense that they would have to pare back the diplomacy/utopian bullshit and emphasize combat a bit more. There's still plenty of scifi pseudoscience mumbo jumbo though, so if you like hearing about "dilithium processors" "intergalactic mycelial spore networks" and a teleporting nigh invincible giant water bear that can tank batleth attacks from a dozen klingon then you'll like it.

One of my favorite episodes so far is when they get stuck in a localized temporal loop and it's essentially groundhog day but with Rainn Wilson playing a bad guy.
My only real complaint is that none of the characters are very compelling besides Jason Isaacs character. Sonequa Martin Green's character is so damn dry and boring largely because she's "Spock but black and a human woman". Maybe they'll give her some more interesting depth in the next season.

BTW, S2 isn't even out yet, so I don't know why people are talking about it like they've seen it.

TNG is and has always been my personal favorite, largely due to the casting being so good. Patrick Stewart, Brent Spiner, Michael Dorn and LeVar Burton really made that show great.

wankerness

Reaction score
Watched the American version of The Office again. Best 3 season show ever. :p I accidentally starting watching the first episode of season 4 and remembered exactly how far it plummeted as soon as Michael "hilariously" ran over Meredith before the credits started.

Started Barry and got a few episodes in, it's pretty good, so far I'm not getting why Bill Hader is getting so many accolades for it. The Fonz and that super friendly bald gangster are the best characters.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Watched the American version of The Office again. Best 3 season show ever. :p I accidentally starting watching the first episode of season 4 and remembered exactly how far it plummeted as soon as Michael "hilariously" ran over Meredith before the credits started.

Started Barry and got a few episodes in, it's pretty good, so far I'm not getting why Bill Hader is getting so many accolades for it. The Fonz and that super friendly bald gangster are the best characters.

Noho is a fucking gold mine

wankerness

Reaction score
Finished Barry. That got ugly. I think I hated the ending, though. It reminded me of one of the early seasons of Dexter, and seemed WAY too early in the series’ life, though I dunno if they expected to get a second season and it might have worked as an end to a one season series. I’d rather watch a show about Noho and the Bolivians than see what happens next with Dexter and Rita 2.0.

I started watching the Marvelous Mrs Maisel after being told it was not a Mary Poppins/Nanny Mcphee knockoff like the title made me assume. I discovered upon starting it that it’s an ASP joint, aka the characters talk like those on Gilmore Girls minus the slew of cultural references, which I think forces the writing to be less lazy. It’s definitely better written than that show, but unfortunately the only carry over actor is one of my most hated from that show, the bitchy unfunny harp player. And she’s co-lead here!! The actual lead is great and her standup isn’t nearly as bad as I assumed an ASP standup routine would be. I’m several episodes in. The only thing I’m dreading is that it will probably follow the Gilmore Girls template of her having to get back together with her loathsome piece of garbage husband, maybe repeatedly each season, like Lorelei and Rory were always doing. Tony Shalhoub is the best supporting character. I miss Lorelei and Luke and Kirk.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
Finished Season 2 of the Punisher. Overall great season, but now I'm dreading the incoming cancellation.
I hope they keep the show with its cast alive on whatever bullshit streaming service disney offers. They already killed daredevil in its current iteration because of the disney streaming deal ;_;

wankerness

Reaction score
Disney putting that show in its current form on its streaming service directed at kids? Keep on dreaming!

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Just finished another loop of the office.

Blackish is amazing btw. Big fan of this and fresh off the boat.

The good place sounds really solid and it’s on Netflix so I may check that out next.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
Disney putting that show in its current form on its streaming service directed at kids? Keep on dreaming!
no, they're expanding their streaming services to include ALL marvel content, which would include the more adult stuff like punisher.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Disney said outright they aren't picking up any of the Netflix shows that were cancelled, nor were they the ones who cancelled them to move them over, as they were entirely Netflix owned.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
Disney said outright they aren't picking up any of the Netflix shows that were cancelled, nor were they the ones who cancelled them to move them over, as they were entirely Netflix owned.
dammit, i was hoping they'd save punisher and daredevil.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Punisher will get shitcanned just like Daredevil. And after Punisher had a great Assault on Precinct 13 episode, too. What a fucking bunch of shit.