Taking my Mark V Combo on a flight! Need suggestions!

MJK28

Reaction score
Hello Sevenstringers!

I recently got my hands on a Mesa/Boogie Mark V Combo. The tones you can get from it are mind blowing!

The thing is I have a trip coming up soon, which involves a 2 and 1/2 hour flight in an airplane. I'm thinking of buying an ATA case (actually a Brady case, which I've read are great). I've read it's recommended to remove the tubes before checking the amp in the ATA case at the airport.

What else do you recommend to keep the amp safe during flight? Have you had any experience with this circumstance? I really would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks! :metal::shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MesaBeno

Pilot
Reaction score
Hello Sevenstringers!

I recently got my hands on a Mesa/Boogie Mark V Combo. The tones you can get from it are mind blowing!

The thing is I have a trip coming up soon, which involves a 2 and 1/2 hour flight in an airplane. I'm thinking of buying an ATA case (actually a Brady case, which I've read are great). I've read it's recommended to remove the tubes before checking the amp in the ATA case at the airport.

What else do you recommend to keep the amp safe during flight? Have you had any experience with this circumstance? I really would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks! :metal::shred:

So first and foremost, assume the worse and pretty much go into it knowing the case (and the amp) will get banged around. Sadly, these things happen in aviation and there's not much you can do about it.

Having said that, the ATA case is a brilliant idea, and I would recommend labelling the shit out of it with "FRAGILE" AND "^ THIS SIDE UP" labels. At least this way, if one of the baggage handlers is paying attention, they should be more gentle and not bang it up as much. I would take out all the tubes, personally, and I'd go so far as to bring the footswitch with me in carry on. Anything that you can take on your person, I would recommend you do so.

Anyway, that's just my .02 as a person involved in the aviation industry.

Where are you flying to, and with what airline?

MJK28

Reaction score
So first and foremost, assume the worse and pretty much go into it knowing the case (and the amp) will get banged around. Sadly, these things happen in aviation and there's not much you can do about it.

Having said that, the ATA case is a brilliant idea, and I would recommend labelling the shit out of it with "FRAGILE" AND "^ THIS SIDE UP" labels. At least this way, if one of the baggage handlers is paying attention, they should be more gentle and not bang it up as much. I would take out all the tubes, personally, and I'd go so far as to bring the footswitch with me in carry on. Anything that you can take on your person, I would recommend you do so.

Anyway, that's just my .02 as a person involved in the aviation industry.

Where are you flying to, and with what airline?

Dude I'm flying by COPA which is associated to United, to Panama (Central America, not Fl!). It's a nice company, new airplanes, great service, always on time, nice service until now, I've flown them many times.

The ATA cases Brady offer are 1/4 and 3/4 birch; thinking about going for the thicker one. And yes I'm taking the switchfoot with me as carry-on!

Also I have a MM JP13-7 and an Ibanez RG which I'll be carrying as carry-on on a Mono gig bag.

I guess I'll be paying overweight but it's a big investment all this equipment as you know so it's worth it!

Thanks for your kind suggestions!

MesaBeno

Pilot
Reaction score
COPA is a good airline, but I'm telling you that even when the front-office (ie all the things you listed that are effectively in the public eye and, as a result, under scrutiny) seems perfect, there's always things going on behind the scenes that you don't hear about and wouldn't know about.

Good call on the thicker case. And yea, carry on is a pain, but it's worth the ability to be able to have your stuff on you at all times.

You probably will be paying for overweight, but I really doubt they would refuse to allow it on board. In extreme cases where a plane if fully loaded and a lot of fuel is needed on board for range, it is possible that they may refuse it for maximum weight issues associated with the aircraft. But tonestly, if this happened, I'd be pretty shocked.

Good luck with the flight and let us know how it goes!

xzyryabx

Reaction score
I wouldn't trust any baggage handlers all over the world, except maybe Japan, with anything valuable.
Mentally prepare for the worst, but you can only do so much on your end; Don't know anything about the ATA case you're getting, but I would document the shit out of your packing process and the amps condition before travel in case those pricks damage it and you need to file a claim. If insurance is an option I would go for it if you can afford it.
Once you land, inspect the amp while you are still at the airport, plug it in and turn it on if possible, so if there is any damage you can go straight to the airlines baggage desk and report it right away. Tubes go with you on the plane.
I've never travelled with an amp, but this is what I would do.
Oh, about the guitars, go to the ATA web-site and print the document allowing you to take guitars as carry ons. If anybody gives you any shit, show it them and hope they woke up on the right side of the bed that morning!!
Good luck!