Talk me down, fellas..

• Thread starter bigswifty
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bigswifty

Reaction score
I don't know what it is, but I get the urge now and then to sell my beloved Suhr Modern 7 that I love (or a combination of other guitars)..

The particular axe of fancy right now is a Guthrie Govan Signature Charvel.

Within the past year, I got an Aristides 8 string, so ERG is still covered. Nonetheless, I have Charvel GG GAS, and I dont know what to do about it.

I should probably just shut up and play my damn guitars..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do you have actual musical projects going on by yourself or with a band?

I find that when I'm busy making music I just have no time worrying about gear and things automatically start being about getting the job done with what I have. And if I actually do "need" something it becomes clear that it's limiting me, like oh shit I can't record because I don't have a guitar.

seekfreed

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anytime I feel the gas creeping up I try to spend more time with my killer guitars and just play them more.
Then I realize that there is absolutely nothing that I "need" and that the new potential guitar would have to be a significant step up to justify the purchase.

Just play your Suhr more and the gas should disappear!

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
Suhr 7's are quite rare to come across so I wouldn't get rid of it. If you were looking for a Guthrie esque 6 I'd go with finding an old Suhr sig of his used, or one of the Guthrie spec'd moderns

Omzig

Reaction score
From what ive read the GG is very much a niche guitar, pretty much like buying and wearing a suit talior made for someone else...which it is basiclly, How about renting one from an online/local service for a few days week to see if you bond with it or maybe find an online retailer with 30-60 days returns so you can check it out. GL

soliloquy

Reaction score
earn your way to that guitar?
its a strategy that worked for me in the past, and it may work for you.
learn a difficult solo/song/piece by any guitarist you look up to. If you struggle with shredding, or sweeping, or tapping, as an example, pick up a song by Paul Gilbert, or (insert random name here). Once you've fully executed it, and you believe you've grown as a musician, then potentially look towards rewarding yourself towards a new guitar?

in the past, this kind of backfired. Once I started progressing, my GAS started diminishing faster, to the point where new guitars didn't really excite me as much as learning a new skill set.

once I stopped learning, GAS started creeping in.

Stiman

Reaction score

I find that when I'm busy making music I just have no time worrying about gear and things automatically start being about getting the job done with what I have. And if I actually do "need" something it becomes clear that it's limiting me, like oh shit I can't record because I don't have a guitar.

I like this. I do something similar. Right now I'm in the process of writing music, and I have a list of gear that I will allow myself to buy if I get to the point where I have 3-4 songs written and I'm ready to record them for real.

This motivates me to finish my songs with the gear I have, to get the gear I want when I'm ready to record them.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
C8C09DFB-84AB-448E-8533-1799B24B8420.jpeg

JSanta

Reaction score
FWIW, I had two GGs and I loved them. I thought the neck was the best shaped and playing neck on any guitar I have ever played. I only sold them because I am strictly playing acoustic instruments at this point. My beautiful PRS JA-15 has just sat in its case for almost a year.

I think trying to justify purchases is a fools errand. If you can afford something, go ahead. But the sentiment being shared that using what you have to get better is good advice, and something I do myself. I have one concert classical guitar and two luthier built Gypsy guitars. I am intimately familiar with them after months and years of playing, and know what it takes to get the sound I want out of them. That is immensely satisfying for me and has steered me away from continually buying guitars.

xzacx

Reaction score
Never had a Suhr 7, but I liked the Charvel GG I had about 1000x more than the Suhr 6s I’ve owned and played (I know I’m in the minority on Suhr, but I’ve been let down by the couple I’ve had). If it had a proper double locking Floyd I’d probably get another. Other than a Tyler, I think it was the best feeling bolt-on neck I’ve ever played. I miss that one, it’s about as versatile of a 6 as you could ask for.

bigswifty

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback! Just one of those times of weakness in the face of serious GAS.. been a while!

Yes, I've got a couple! And you're right. But I think my issue is probably stemming from some degree of dissatisfaction with my ability to improvised, supplemented by an insufficient practice routine, lack of direction and avoidance of the issue! Hence the GAS..

Anytime I feel the gas creeping up I try to spend more time with my killer guitars and just play them more.
Then I realize that there is absolutely nothing that I "need" and that the new potential guitar would have to be a significant step up to justify the purchase.

Just play your Suhr more and the gas should disappear!

This is a great point. I often do this as well. Thanks for the reminder.

Suhr 7's are quite rare to come across so I wouldn't get rid of it. If you were looking for a Guthrie esque 6 I'd go with finding an old Suhr sig of his used, or one of the Guthrie spec'd moderns

Fair point! I'm just really interested in the Charvel is all. TBH my Suhr 7 is basically a 7 string version of his old Suhr signature.

Start saving and start looking for deals.

Tempting..

From what ive read the GG is very much a niche guitar, pretty much like buying and wearing a suit talior made for someone else...which it is basiclly, How about renting one from an online/local service for a few days week to see if you bond with it or maybe find an online retailer with 30-60 days returns so you can check it out. GL

Fair point. Never really done the rental thing before! I doubt any music store near me would carry it, but worth a look around. Cheers!

earn your way to that guitar?
its a strategy that worked for me in the past, and it may work for you.
learn a difficult solo/song/piece by any guitarist you look up to. If you struggle with shredding, or sweeping, or tapping, as an example, pick up a song by Paul Gilbert, or (insert random name here). Once you've fully executed it, and you believe you've grown as a musician, then potentially look towards rewarding yourself towards a new guitar?

in the past, this kind of backfired. Once I started progressing, my GAS started diminishing faster, to the point where new guitars didn't really excite me as much as learning a new skill set.

once I stopped learning, GAS started creeping in.

Awesome take. I have actually done this to some degree before as well. Great way to combat GAS!

I like this. I do something similar. Right now I'm in the process of writing music, and I have a list of gear that I will allow myself to buy if I get to the point where I have 3-4 songs written and I'm ready to record them for real.

This motivates me to finish my songs with the gear I have, to get the gear I want when I'm ready to record them.

Same as above, really! Great strategy.

FWIW, I had two GGs and I loved them. I thought the neck was the best shaped and playing neck on any guitar I have ever played. I only sold them because I am strictly playing acoustic instruments at this point. My beautiful PRS JA-15 has just sat in its case for almost a year.

I think trying to justify purchases is a fools errand. If you can afford something, go ahead. But the sentiment being shared that using what you have to get better is good advice, and something I do myself. I have one concert classical guitar and two luthier built Gypsy guitars. I am intimately familiar with them after months and years of playing, and know what it takes to get the sound I want out of them. That is immensely satisfying for me and has steered me away from continually buying guitars.

Very interesting.. what made you decide to switch to acoustic instruments exclusively?

I agree that justifying purchases is a fools errand. I usually toil over this periodically, but it is honestly my own defense mechanism against spending. Usually once some time has passed, the GAS has passed too :lol:

I swear, guitars and music gear are the only items in life I ever fall into the consumer trap for.

Keep the Suhr and Aeris tiddies and get a cheaper DK24

Great idea. I have a Charvel Tele that I am trying to move, to make way for a DK24, basically!

Buy it all

Don't tempt me with a good time!

What he said! Don’t get rid of that Suhr 7 (unless you’d want to gift it to me? Please?) :lol:

Seems like MIM DK24s are actually a really good deal for the money. Never played one myself but only heard good things.

Sorry to disappoint, good sir!
I'll likely be on the lookout for DK24's from here on out!

Never had a Suhr 7, but I liked the Charvel GG I had about 1000x more than the Suhr 6s I’ve owned and played (I know I’m in the minority on Suhr, but I’ve been let down by the couple I’ve had). If it had a proper double locking Floyd I’d probably get another. Other than a Tyler, I think it was the best feeling bolt-on neck I’ve ever played. I miss that one, it’s about as versatile of a 6 as you could ask for.

Very interesting.. I'd love to get my hands on one to try out!
I know it'd be a gamble, springing sight unseen for what is essentially "someone else's guitar".
But I mean.. it is in line with everything I've ever enjoyed instrument wise, and like you said, is as versatile as they come!

Funny enough, what pops into my news feed today?
A brand new MIJ Charvel GG Signature model :lol:

JSanta

Reaction score
@dbrozz I play Gypsy jazz and classical. Not much of a need for me to have an electric guitar!

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
I always used to want one until I read this:

I should note that he mentions they made the bridge pickup adjustable on his new Japanese one

')