Talking a bit about gear...

• Thread starter maloteslos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maloteslos

Reaction score
Hi people, I have a problem, I want buy a head, but I not like the Soldano SLO sound, for nothing! This isn't definite, very compressed, this isn't articulate and is very fizz! I heard that unfortunately the Peavey 6505 series is based in the Soldano SLO and your sound is very similar. For this reason, The Soldano SLO and the Peavey 6505 series not is for me.

What sound I want? Well, I want much the sound of a Peavey 6505 with a OD in front, but I want a amp that naturally (with out OD) can give me that type of sound.

What amps can give me that?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TauSigmaNova

Guitarist Wannabe.
Reaction score
So you hate the sound of the SLO and the 6505 yet you're asking for the sound of a 6505? I'm confused.

maloteslos

Reaction score
So you hate the sound of the SLO and the 6505 yet you're asking for the sound of a 6505? I'm confused.

You not understand, no the tone of a Peavey 6505, is the form in that this reproduces my form of play, how this feels to play. With out OD a Peavey 6505 sound very bad, althougt, with a OD sound like a mix of a Peavey 6505 in tone and a Rectifier in response to my form of play.

You can understand now?

I want a head that can give that with out need of put a OD in front.

What amp for a low budget (1000$) can give that?

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
The EVH 5150III is a bit more compressed and refined than the 6505 and has great cleans to boot. Lots of people say there's no real need to boost the third channel on them.

The 5153 mini head is $1000 new :yesway:

maloteslos

Reaction score
The EVH 5150III is a bit more compressed and refined than the 6505 and has great cleans to boot. Lots of people say there's no real need to boost the third channel on them.

The 5153 mini head is $1000 new :yesway:

But Eddie always make your amps based in a Soldano SLO. :/ What other amp you can recommend me?

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a Randall Satan would be the way to go for you. It's got more of a Dual Rec type sound, and with the 3 gain controls for Low, High, and Overall gain, you can tweak your tone to have the sort of bite that an overdrive would give you, without having an overdrive. That's always been my issues with the 5150/SLO type amps, they do get close to what I want with the gain at around 6 or 7, but they have the extra bite I want with an OD in front and the gain on 2

Mike

Reaction score
Mesa Dual Rectifier.

edit: Didn't see the budget, but a dual rec can still be had used for around $1000 if you find the right deal.

Last edited:

Manhell

Reaction score
You not understand, no the tone of a Peavey 6505, is the form in that this reproduces my form of play, how this feels to play. With out OD a Peavey 6505 sound very bad, althougt, with a OD sound like a mix of a Peavey 6505 in tone and a Rectifier in response to my form of play.

You can understand now?

I want a head that can give that with out need of put a OD in front.

What amp for a low budget (1000$) can give that?

My friend, tell us which 6505 version are you talking about, it might not be what you like but it doesn't sound bad alone, not even close.

still I think you are looking for the new EVH 5150 III 3rd channel, lots of gain (too much) and good definition.

OR

buy a line6 POD Pro or Axe FX, you can do whatever and shape the sound as you wish.

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
What sound I want? Well, I want much the sound of a Peavey 6505 with a OD in front, but I want a amp that naturally (with out OD) can give me that type of sound.

What amps can give me that?

No amp will give you that. Amps are designed as a bare bones unit that you add your own effects to. If you want a boosted 6505 then you need to buy a 6505 and a boost. Nothing else is going to cut it for that sound, especially without a boost.

GizmoGardens

ECE/MetalHead
Reaction score
Randall Diavlo is tight and heavy, plus it has a built in boost which does what most people use an OD for in front of a high gain amp.

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
Check out the Jet City stuff. Modestly priced, and I find they don't have that weird fizziness 5150's do. But, if you want the sound of an amp when it's boosted, you're gonna need to boost an amp. Or buy that Ibanez amp with a TS9 built into the circuit.

TauSigmaNova

Guitarist Wannabe.
Reaction score
Check out the Jet City stuff. Modestly priced, and I find they don't have that weird fizziness 5150's do. But, if you want the sound of an amp when it's boosted, you're gonna need to boost an amp. Or buy that Ibanez amp with a TS9 built into the circuit.

Jet City Amps are direct copies of SLOs, designed by Soldano himself........

MrPowers

Reaction score
If you can save up a bit more money, grab an Engl Fireball 100 (Not the Fireball 60) or Powerball. They should give you exactly what you want.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I have to agree with the Mark IV recommendations. It may not give you the tone you are describing but the moment you step on the Graphic EQ footswitch you'll forget about the tone you are describing and your life will change. :yesway:

')