Taylor Swift On the Music Business...

• Thread starter ArtDecade
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Taylor swift makes music ? Wow. I had no idea... that it qualified as music.
personally, I w o uld never buy her album. Hell lets be honest, about 99% of major record rel eases I wouldn't buy. Why? Because in general, they are releasing one or two good songs and calling it an album. I would be happy to spend money on music if an album was solid, but that seems to be going the way of the dodo.
I do go to concerts and buy merchandise for bands I like, which I feel ends up being more supportive than buying a record the artist get a slim slice of.
It isn't just Napster s fault that music sales are in the toilet; quite a bit of it is people like Taylor swift and her record execs.

Preacher

Lord of Beer
Reaction score
simple economics in a free market economy really:

supply and demand dictate price. Demand outstrips supply and the price goes up. Supply outstrips demand and it stays the same or goes down. In musical terms...

Kiss do 1 show in the UK and the tickets sell for £75 a throw. They sell out in a day. they then appear on ebay and ticket trade sites. they will be selling for what someone is prepared to pay, in this case upwards of £300 in some cases because demand outstripped supply.

Bloodstock 2014 has not sold out yet, and is £140 a ticket for camping. People with excess tickets are having to sell them off at a loss, around £80 that I have seen, because supply outstrips demand.

these aren't the best cases to use for most musicians because they have the weight of years of advertising and a built up fan base already.

these days to get that you need to whore out on social media, do free gigs, you name it, but once you get there, then I would imagine its a sweeter feeling knowing that what you earn, you keep instead of loosing a lot to labels etc.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
having rich parents only got a foot in the door, if she couldn't write really good songs no one would give a shit.

Some would argue that she doesn't write good songs and they really don't give a shit. She's not famous because she's a good singer or songwriter, she's famous because she's attractive and marketable.

Edika

Reaction score
Well she is safe from me because I won't waste any bandwidth to even listen to her songs on legal platforms. So no many from me and no stealing either.

The few things I heard from her made me put a permanent bypass in my brain whenever anything of her comes up and it's not limited to Taylor Swift only. I like me some good pop music I just haven't found anything I find interesting.

On that note I found this hilarious (but irrelevant to the thread) and if it's a repost I apologize:

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
To those saying that she worked hard to get where she is, if she has been recording since she was 11, she has had opportunities many of us have not. I doubt she had to work 50 hours a week at a gas station at 16 years old to afford her first guitar.

She is a working musician, but she had a great deal set up for her to be able to be a working musician. She also has more money than I can imagine having despite my work history and education.

Does she have some talent? Sure. But there are more talented, harder-working musicians out there who never get near the recognition she garners.

To the point of the topic, if I like a band, I'll buy a hard copy of their CD and try to catch them at a show if they play within reasonable distance. I will stream music on Youtube when deciding if I actually like a band though. If a band is worth it, I may spend my hard-earned dollars to support them.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I read this : "...I hope the next generation's artists will continue to think of inventive ways of keeping their audiences on their toes, as challenging as that might be."

And instantly thought that's why i play heavy music :lol: to literally make people be on their toes.

blaaargh

Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked
Reaction score
Some would argue that she doesn't write good songs and they really don't give a shit. She's not famous because she's a good singer or songwriter, she's famous because she's attractive and marketable.

Yeah, but what is it that makes her marketable? It's more than just a pretty face. Kim Kardashian has been releasing albums for years and getting nowhere. Like Kuller said, Tay Tay is really ....ing good at writing songs that a lot of people can relate to. Do you know how many attractive (and talented!) young girls move to Nashville trying to make it big, only to fail miserably? It's in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions. There are a ton of factors that go into someone making it that big, and while some of them are superficial, a lot of it is based on the content. Taylor Swift was hired by Sony's publishing house before she was fifteen... if she couldn't write why would they do that?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Yeah, but what is it that makes her marketable? It's more than just a pretty face. Kim Kardashian has been releasing albums for years and getting nowhere. Like Kuller said, Tay Tay is really ....ing good at writing songs that a lot of people can relate to. Do you know how many attractive (and talented!) young girls move to Nashville trying to make it big, only to fail miserably? It's in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions. There are a ton of factors that go into someone making it that big, and while some of them are superficial, a lot of it is based on the content. Taylor Swift was hired by Sony's publishing house before she was fifteen... if she couldn't write why would they do that?

She's marketable because of her looks, combined with some amount of talent maybe, but I have no doubt it's her looks, and some luck. I'll bet half the members of this board have more talent than her in just their big toes- and you can't deny that women in bands often (not always) become successful not for their talent but for their... other assets. Kardashian has more than likely sold more albums than either of us, and the fact that you know she's put out music is a point in itself. I've put out albums, but you don't know that because I'm not famous. I can think of tons of reasons why an entertainment industry would hire a 15 year old girl who shows even a vague amount of sales potential. All the young people moving large distances in hopes of being famous are just buying a lottery ticket, and this lady just happens to have won this time.

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
Didn't the city pay the artist for most of them, using taxpayer money, meaning you did in fact "send a check" for them? Or are you referring to like, graffiti?

i'm sure they did, but i wasn't asking how said art gets paid for, i was poking fun at her ridiculous blanket statement that art is always valuable and must be paid for by those who are entertained by it. and since i personally like the art installations placed all around Houston then by her logic, i owe the artist some money for that. EDIT: also, going by your logic, she's already been paid for creating those albums, so why should she get any of the money from the listens? does she know how many artists out there get ZERO revenue from their actual album sales, and have to rely solely on merch sales while on tour, lessons, tab books, and *gasp* part time jobs?

if we're going to really REALLY get down to serious thoughts on this whole thing, my stance would eventually boil down to my belief that capitalism and actually art/artistry are incompatible. period. i'm not going to waste hours and hours discussing my position and arguing with people on here about it though.

in the meantime i'll grab a tomato and have some fun at taylor's expense. (i'll then promptly request payment for my services as i consider my exquisite criticisms of famous people to be art- thus valuable monetarily.)

Duosphere

(oYo) Lover
Reaction score
But isn't 12 year old and under (OK, maybe 17 and under) girls her target market? Does anyone else actually listen to her?

Yep :yesway:

For every product there's a target, Swift doesn't make music for metal heads, jazz players etc, she makes music for kids or probably for dumb kids who expect nothing better than lyrics about shallow relationships.She's right, she chose a target and became rich, nothing wrong with that.There are so many ultra crap metal bands even with good musicians still Swift is the biggest shit ever :scratch:

I don't like her music, her singing and expecially her dancing but of course she's not interested having me as her crowd cause I'm not her target ;)

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Certain radio stations with demographics of 18-49 year old females do play her music a lot. Those are contemporary hits type stations.

However, since she is "crossover" she also gets airplay on country stations.

She gets rotation between two demographics.

blaaargh

Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked
Reaction score
Let’s Talk About “Real Music” | STUFF YOU WILL HATE

ofc she has a target demographic. every band does whether you acknowledge it or not. just because she is aiming for a wider demographic than say a prog metal band doesn't make her music any less valid. it takes just as much talent to write a catchy song that appeals to a wide audience as it does to write a super technical shredfest, just a different kind of talent. so many of the responses in this thread can basically be boiled down to "I don't like it, therefore it's not music." keep patting yourselves on the back for your superior patrician tastes, no one in the real world gives a shit.

Murmel

Reaction score
I don't believe what Taylor Swift does is art, its just more pop for the mass to listen to while they slave away at their meaningless lives.

EDIT: That seems dark in hindsight, what I mean is the music doesn't make people think about themselves in anay meaningful way, I guess?

Man, if people can relate to any lyrics it would be those of Taylor Swift. They're straight to the point, and most deal with love, which is a huge part of most peoples lives. Especially kids and teens.
Not everyone wants lyrics that need to be deciphered. The simpler the better, most of the time.

Among circles that despise pop music, especially blues, jazz and metalheads, they are deemed less intellectual, which I think is absolute bullturd.
I know you didn't call them inferior or anything, just throwing it out there.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
There is so much music flooding the internet that music is basically worthless as far as money goes. There is too much supply.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
...They're straight to the point, and most deal with love ... Among circles that despise pop music...they are deemed less intellectual, which I think is absolute bullturd.

I'm gonna disagree with you on this one. Everyone at one point or another who writes music goes after "love" as a theme, because as you said, it's something that can be applied to everyone- and I mean that in the sense that it's a "lowest common denominator" kind of songwriting. Low hanging fruit. Appeal to the most people possible at once.

Does that make those lyrics objectively bad? No, of course not, but relatable =/= intelectual.

tedtan

Reaction score
There is so much music flooding the internet that music is basically worthless as far as money goes. There is too much supply.

I agree that there is an oversupply of music, but much of it is crap that we must wade through in order to find the occasional gem. I would pay someone just to sort the wheat from the chaff for me if it were a small fee added to the purchase of a song or album. But even then, you'd still have a lot of good material overlooked and a lot of crap that gets through because no two people have exactly the same taste.

Murmel

Reaction score
I'm gonna disagree with you on this one. Everyone at one point or another who writes music goes after "love" as a theme, because as you said, it's something that can be applied to everyone- and I mean that in the sense that it's a "lowest common denominator" kind of songwriting. Low hanging fruit. Appeal to the most people possible at once.

Does that make those lyrics objectively bad? No, of course not, but relatable =/= intelectual.

I realise now that intellectual was the wrong term to use. You don't reason at your best when writing posts very late :lol:

I do think I got my point across, though. To me, relatable lyrics are what I enjoy the most, and I strongly believe that most people feel this way. Otherwise you wouldn't be told by successful songwriters to write relatable lyrics. Writing about love might seem like taking the easy road, but love is one of the strongest things we ever feel. If not the strongest.

As long as you're happy with what you're singing, then it's all good. Whether it be about terraforming or poppin' caps or whatever.

Nats

Reaction score

She's marketable because of her lyrical content, like you said. She will milk high school relationship drama until she dies because her target audience is in middle school/high school and dealing with their loves of their lives breaking up with them after a week. I always compare her to Mathew Mcconahey (i have no idea how to spell his name and don't give a shit either) from Dazed and Confused; Taylor Swift gets older and high school kids still stay the same age. She could be ugly, but kids in school are still going to have break ups with their significant others, so they will listen to her songs and "relate" to them. I'm 32 and I know some girls are "trouble when they walk in". She SPEAKS to me, man.

Latest posts

')