TC Elecronics G Major in Front End of Amp? Installing an Effects Loop in My Amp?

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
SOOO

I want a TC Electronics G Major. Bad.

Problem. I know it's supposed to be in the loop of an amp. That's all fine and dandy, one problem.... My amp doesn't HAVE a loop. So, if I can run it into the front end of my amp with no HUGE difference, then I'm a happy man.

BUT, if the almighty sevenstring.org advises against this, then on to my next question. I have a Fender Vibro Champ XD. I found a couple kits online that say you can put an effects loop in your amp. Is this recommended? Upon looking in the back of the amp briefly, there's only a 12AX7 preamp and one 6l6 power tube, doesn't seem like something that requires an engineering degree from MIT.

For what it's worth, I DON'T use my amp's distortion. I run a TubeScreamer for my main overdrive, and a boosta grande for big boosts for leads.

Thanks

Scotty

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarkMythras

Reaction score
My little brother's guitar teacher runs his G major in front of his TriAxis. I've talked to him a bit about his rig and he says the the G major is completely transparent. I haven't personally heard the rig, but I trust this guy (30+ year studio/gigging jazz guitarist). I imagine it also depends on the effects that you want to use.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful :(

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If all of your drive is coming from pedals which will be in front of the G-Major, then you should be fine. Though, even a little bit of drive behind the G-Major is going to cause "artifacts" in the delay, reverb, and similar effects. Depending on the complexity of the "Loop Mod" I'd consider doing it regardless of the G-Major, as having a loop is a feature on an amp that I simply can't live without. You may want to speak to a local tech and see what they think, as far as adding a loop goes. While it may seem easy at first, one small slip, or jolt of heat from a soldering iron and you're amp (or possibly you) will be toast.

For what it's worth I've seen players use effects similar to the G-Major up front, as well as a host of "home brew" loop installs which function beautifully.

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
I guess I could always buy the G Major, then decide from there if I need a loop or not.

I haven't been able to find any good sources for modifying a Vibro Champ XD for a loop, and my local tech charges at the minimum $290. I got my Vibro Champ for $150 :lol:

bronz79

Reaction score
First thing i advice you buying a GM2 if you can,better fx algorithms.

then:

-Almost all TC guitar oriented stuff, gmajor,gsystem,nova system works
better in a true serial loop to avoid phasing issues.
-you can use it preamp but for reverb and delay is not the better placement.
-even in front or in the loop a there is a bit of tone sucking,tone coloring
and without a swithable loop you'll get it all the time because you can't
bypass the GM without other hardware.

littlephil

Reaction score
-even in front or in the loop a there is a bit of tone sucking,tone coloring
and without a swithable loop you'll get it all the time because you can't
bypass the GM without other hardware.

I've heard this, but I've never experienced any tone sucking with my G-Major. I have a switchable loop on my Mark IV, and I set up the G-Major for one patch with no effects at all, as a default patch. I was running that patch, on all 3 channels, switching the loop in and out and I heard no difference at all.

Either way, it will still run fine in front of the amp, just it would sound better in the loop (IMO, I know plenty of people prefer to run delays and reverbs in front of the amp, its personal preference really)

')