Tear this mix apart, please.

• Thread starter CorkyMcDoogle
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been messing around with this for awhile, just trying to get a better grasp on mixing. I've mostly just been experimenting with things on my own and watching YouTube videos when necessary. I've restarted from scratch a few times. Part of me feels like I'm getting a handle on things but the larger part of me still feels clueless. It's frustrating trying to get what I'm hearing to in my head to translate into reality.

But, I think I'm long past the point of any objective listening ability. I'm not sure if I can tell if something was blatantly out of place at this point since I've heard it so many times over. I've heard everyone reaches this place at some point so I'm not sweating it too much. It's time to let others hear it and critique it.

Just some feedback on what's going in the right direction and what's going in the wrong direction would be appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/corkymcdoogle/song-1-test-mix-1

Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
Can you send me the file I would like to take out harshness and remaster it a little bit, I think I can pull out alot of this one!

Reaction score
Can you send me the file I would like to take out harshness and remaster it a little bit, I think I can pull out alot of this one!

Hey man, thanks for the offer but I'm trying to get better at mixing and it's not going to help me learn anything if I let others fix my problems for me.

What things are sticking out to you? Harshness in the rhythm or lead guitars? I'm looking for any critiques. Like I said, I'm so used to it that I can't listen to it with any objective perspective anymore.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
I just moved and haven't treated my listening room yet, so headphone balance is what you're getting.

Just first listen notes.

• Your low mids on your guitar in the intro and making it muddy
  • The shimmer sound is quite harsh and could use some saturation to make it easier to listen to.
  • Your rhythm guitars seem to be doing too much of the low end, and not letting the bass growl and rattle. It's there, but if you want it to slam, look at your bass (I suggest the Systematic Mixing guide).
  • Lead guitar is a touch too loud and needs the effects clearer. Try some low end and high end management on your FX to decorrelate them.
  • Rhythm guitars are muddy in the low mids generally (the whole mix is generally muddy). Generally also a 'nasal' mix.
  • Drums are too consistent and sound fake. Need more variation.
  • Drum EQ could use quite a bit of work to make it punchier and sit better with other things, especially the kick.
  • The stop needs work with the FX to make it feel more impactful.
Generally it feels like EQ and FX are you main problems.

RobertVII

Reaction score
I agree with what the previous comment has stated. I would try to cut some low end on the rhythm guitars to help the bass sit better in the mix. It's usually a lowcut from around 80-120hz. Try also making a cut around 200-350hz, there's usually some low mid build up there and the frequencies can sound "cardboardy." Also, plus 1 on checking out the Systematic Mixing Guide mentioned in the previous comment. It's a very solid and concise read for mixing this kind of music.

toner

Contributor
Reaction score
Intro/clean transition into the distorted guitars: I feel the guitars are boxy/hollow and the snare is missing that crack/definition. Lead tone is good, rythm too scooped in the mids.

IMO you are close to a good mix after some adjustments.

Latest posts

')