Tech 21 Paul Landers (Rammstein) Fly Rig

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
pl1_pedal_main.jpg

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/pl1_flyrig.html

Dude used Sansamp a lot back in the day, so I'm not surprised. Also apparently started using Sansamp again recently after his Axe FX died. Or so they claim.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

buriedoutback

Reaction score
looks pretty cool. doesn't mention IR specifically, but says it can go direct to foh. very interesting.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
Seems interesting that a guitar player in a very successful band with many many live crew members would want to endorse something so small and portable. But, then again I'd like to see my name on gear too :agreed:

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
He's like- "The animation is a few steps up from my Marshall MG"

It would be cool if it was truly br00tal like some kind of ISP Theta in there.

Turgon

Reaction score
Well, if his main sound was/is coming from a sansamp, then I get that he could just go with the flyrig.
But I'm not sure if he only needs this few sounds and let's kruspe does all the modulated stuff.

Then again. If I were in in a band as big as rammstein, I would totally go with more equipment on stage, just because I could. He for sure doesn't need to keep it small and lightweight.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
looks pretty cool. doesn't mention IR specifically, but says it can go direct to foh. very interesting.

Historically, that's been Tech21's bread & butter, pedals that can be plugged directly into a mixer or power amp and sound just like a 'real amp', ergo the name "Sansamp". (fyi, the word "sans" means "without" in French. So technically, Sansamp means "without amp")

But yeah, every "Sansamp" pedal has a built in 'cab sim' in the output, so I doubt you'll ever see any kind of 'ir loading' in any of their pedals.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Dude used Sansamp a lot back in the day, so I'm not surprised. Also apparently started using Sansamp again recently after his Axe FX died. Or so they claim.

Not for nothin' but with a decent eq after it and/or a boost in front, the GT2 can sounds pretty gnarly. I picked one up a couple of years ago when a used one showed up at a local store and with an MXR 10 band eq, I've gotten some really decent results.

buriedoutback

Reaction score
Historically, that's been Tech21's bread & butter, pedals that can be plugged directly into a mixer or power amp and sound just like a 'real amp', ergo the name "Sansamp". (fyi, the word "sans" means "without" in French. So technically, Sansamp means "without amp")

But yeah, every "Sansamp" pedal has a built in 'cab sim' in the output, so I doubt you'll ever see any kind of 'ir loading' in any of their pedals.
:yesway:
Thanks for the info.

wakjob

Reaction score
I have the original rackmout and GT2, and I'll never part with them. I don't used them all the time, but when I need to scratch a certain itch, I've found that nothing can do what these do.

Spinedriver

Reaction score

I was wondering when a demo would finally pop up. Sadly, it's running close to $450 here in Canada. :\

Even weirder, is that it costs $100 more than the RK5.... Go figure..

I think I might just stick with my GT2 and see if the MXR 10 band eq can help it along a bit.

Last edited:

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Then again. If I were in in a band as big as rammstein, I would totally go with more equipment on stage, just because I could. He for sure doesn't need to keep it small and lightweight.

With the progress of digital gear, a lot of bands tour without amps, not because they can't afford it (Metallica certainly can) but because they solve lots of issues caused by amps, such as reliability, waves interference, maintenance etc. They make setups simpler and easier, one tech can handle all of it, you get a consistent sound whatever the venue, etc.

Also, these guys can afford and already have the gear. You would totally go with more equipment, I get that, but they can't really have more equipment at that stage given the level they're at, it just becomes a matter of simplifying the logistics.
And three less crates of amps and cabs mean three more crates of pyrotechnics. :D

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
They have nooo problems with having too much gear. Check out Richard's live rig.

20130930-live-stage.jpg

4256443342_773d36e1c4.jpg

In interviews, Richard kinda makes himself out to be a tone/gear freak and perfectionist.

I think Paul's just got the opposite mentality. He likes to have less gear. Fewer guitars, fewer cabs, no amps, no mics, all direct.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I once worked on building the main stage for a festival, one of the largest mobile stages in Europe. When we were done building it, it could support something crazy like 30 tons. When we got back the next day, they'd taken the ceiling down again and we were asked to replace a bunch of aluminum beams with stronger steel ones. I asked my boss why, and he just rolled his eyes and said: "Because... Rammstein." :lol: It's the only time I've ever had to rebuild a stage because a band was literally too heavy for it. Only Rammstein.

Moral of the story: Paul Landers could tour with 8 4x12's and it would still be peanuts in the grand scheme of their production.

Last edited:

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
They have nooo problems with having too much gear. Check out Richard's live rig.

20130930-live-stage.jpg

4256443342_773d36e1c4.jpg

In interviews, Richard kinda makes himself out to be a tone/gear freak and perfectionist.

I think Paul's just got the opposite mentality. He likes to have less gear. Fewer guitars, fewer cabs, no amps, no mics, all direct.
I've been an enormous Rammstein fan since the early days, but that's pretty fuckin stupid. Didn't know he needed the same amount of amps as Angus Young.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I've been an enormous Rammstein fan since the early days, but that's pretty fuckin stupid. Didn't know he needed the same amount of amps as Angus Young.

I can kinda understand it. :lol: They started doing heavy multitracking during the Mutter days, which is when Richard started doing the wall of Rectos.

Richard_Kruspe_Amp_Front.jpg

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

There's a pretty good chance that a lot of that gear is meant to be redundant for backup purposes.

Latest posts

')