Tech 21 Paul Landers (Rammstein) Fly Rig

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Turgon

Reaction score
I just recently read an Interview with Paul in Gitarre&Bass (German magazine).
He stated that he indeed uses the GT-2 exclusively live and just wanted something small to have for practicing and/or in the hotel room. As asked if he would use the fly rig live one day he wasn't sure, but might do so.

Soooo... I was right... He doesn't use it live. But I was wrong... the GT-2 isn't what you call a big rig :D

And as Richard was brought up. In the same magazine a couple years earlier he stated that, in his home studio, he has installed some robotic micstands, which he can precisely move via Remote control. :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
He stated that he indeed uses the GT-2 exclusively live and just wanted something small to have for practicing and/or in the hotel room. As asked if he would use the fly rig live one day he wasn't sure, but might do so.

Soooo... I was right... He doesn't use it live. But I was wrong... the GT-2 isn't what you call a big rig :D

And as Richard was brought up. In the same magazine a couple years earlier he stated that, in his home studio, he has installed some robotic micstands, which he can precisely move via Remote control. :D

Watch Richard's interview with Native Instruments. Dudes surprisingly picky and craZy with his gear and tone. He also shows off the robot.

ElNitro

Reaction score

You can also see those robotic micstands in one of the documentaries, that they released some years ago. He seems so be a massive nerd and really into details.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
Heh of all the gear for Pete to demo. I'll have to check that out when I get off work.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good.

are the cab sims typically not bypassable on the flyrig pedals? I know they’re not on the GT2.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
pl1_pedal_main.jpg

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/pl1_flyrig.html

Dude used Sansamp a lot back in the day, so I'm not surprised. Also apparently started using Sansamp again recently after his Axe FX died. Or so they claim.

Since the thread got bumped... Did he ever mention what models he was using? Never was into Rammstein, so I only recently found out he was heavy into the Tech21 stuff and this got me curious - what amp sims did an Solid State/DI guy use? Rectos like his bandmate or something else?

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Since the thread got bumped... Did he ever mention what models he was using? Never was into Rammstein, so I only recently found out he was heavy into the Tech21 stuff and this got me curious - what amp sims did an Solid State/DI guy use? Rectos like his bandmate or something else?

PSA-1 and GT-2

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
PSA-1 and GT-2
Oh, I wasn't clear - my bad. I meant on the AxeFX, unless it has emulations of these too.

BTW: watched your video. The really cheap Behringer Sansamp clones are starting to look attractive... ;)
(Might just play around with a combo of distortion pedal + EQ in software, tho. Should get at least a bit of that vibe)

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Oh, I wasn't clear - my bad. I meant on the AxeFX, unless it has emulations of these too.

BTW: watched your video. The really cheap Behringer Sansamp clones are starting to look attractive... ;)
(Might just play around with a combo of distortion pedal + EQ in software, tho. Should get at least a bit of that vibe)
The Uberschall I imagine. He really liked the Uberschall model in Guitar Rig and used the real one briefly.

Or even Engl. He used Engl during the Reise Reise and Rosenrot era.

Spinedriver

Reaction score

That's the thing about the Tech 21 pedals, they aren't "models" of anything really. The GT-2 has 3 modes "Tweed", "British" and "California" which most people tend to define as settings that resemble Fender, Marshall and Mesa Mark series respectively. I don't know if Tech 21 has ever put out a pedal that was supposed to emulate any specific amp. Theirs have always been pedals that have a 'Marshall Flavor' or 'Mesa-like qualities' that sort of thing.
My guess is that when Landers used the GT-2, he was probably using the California setting on either the "hi gain" or "hot wired" settings.

Gmork

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance.. But.. Umm.. Why does someone need to use NINE amp heads on stage?!? What am i missing? Lol

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance.. But.. Umm.. Why does someone need to use NINE amp heads on stage?!? What am i missing? Lol

backups, live multi tracking.

Yep. The Rammstein sound is simple riffs backed by tons of overdubs. You especially notice that on Mutter.

Also Richard's an absolute gearwhore. I'm sure he doesn't mind any reason to bring a shit-ton of gear onstage. He's such a stickler for gear and tone that he has an iso-closet and rack setup that emulates his home studio setup.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
It was some time ago but I do seem to recall trying Guitar Rig because Richard has his own sig setup in it called the "Rammfire".

img-ce-intro_paragraph_facelift_rammfire-69551af8d8af1d9b8a2d181af8db7c82-d.jpg

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
That's the thing about the Tech 21 pedals, they aren't "models" of anything really. The GT-2 has 3 modes "Tweed", "British" and "California" which most people tend to define as settings that resemble Fender, Marshall and Mesa Mark series respectively. I don't know if Tech 21 has ever put out a pedal that was supposed to emulate any specific amp. Theirs have always been pedals that have a 'Marshall Flavor' or 'Mesa-like qualities' that sort of thing.
My guess is that when Landers used the GT-2, he was probably using the California setting on either the "hi gain" or "hot wired" settings.
The Tech 21 British was the closest I've gotten to a Marshall.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It was some time ago but I do seem to recall trying Guitar Rig because Richard has his own sig setup in it called the "Rammfire".

img-ce-intro_paragraph_facelift_rammfire-69551af8d8af1d9b8a2d181af8db7c82-d.jpg

Yeah that's basically his very early 1992 - 1993 Recto I think? So pretty much anything from a Rev C - Rev F. I think the cab is a matching Recto cab he got around the same time.

')