Tech 21 Power Engine: Yea or Nay?

• Thread starter Devyn Eclipse Nav
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
I recently picked up a POD HD500X, and I'm loving the thing. At the moment, I'm using it in the 4 cable method with my 6505+ combo, and it sounds pretty dang good.

However, today I was screwing around with just using the power section of the amp, and I discovered that I had a patch that sounded identical to (if not slightly better than) the 6505+ Lead channel, and had far less noise. This, along with the fact that I don't want to really haul this heavy-ass combo around, got me thinking - why don't I just go with a power amp->cab setup?

And then the Power Engine popped into my head. So I gotta ask - anybody tried one? How do you like it for metal, sorta djenty, thrashy stuff? I'm very tempted to trade my 6505+ for one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cereal_guy

Reaction score
you could always go into the return of the FX loop on any other combo that has a decent power section, you might be able to save a bit of $$$

WarMachine

Reaction score
I can't give you any input on the tech 21, but one thing i can say is no matter what amp you plug that into the return of, you're going to get a bit of the same flavor as the amp its going in to, that's why it sounds close to your 6505+.

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
I had one for a brief period way back... ran my ADA MP-1 through it. Wasn't bad at all... I wanted a tad more low end and a stereo set up for the chorus, so I opted for something else (since I couldn't find another one at the time).

I didn't much care for the speaker it came with, but flip it out for one you like and it might be a great little set up. It has some EQ controls to fine tune which was really great.

It's a solid product. Loud as hell if I remember correctly.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Reaction score
you could always go into the return of the FX loop on any other combo that has a decent power section, you might be able to save a bit of $$$

I know I could, but I don't really want to be hauling around a heavy-ass tube amp with me only to use the power section.

I can't give you any input on the tech 21, but one thing i can say is no matter what amp you plug that into the return of, you're going to get a bit of the same flavor as the amp its going in to, that's why it sounds close to your 6505+.

Well yes, but the Treadplate model still sounds like a recto, the F-ball model still sounds like a Fireball, the Bassman sounds like a Bassman, etc. So the fact that I got a tone that, to my brother, was nigh indistinguishable from the real deal, is what has me thinking.

I'm talking to the guy from the local GC, he's gonna see what he can do about a straight swap, my 6505+ for a used Power Engine. What I'm going to try and work out is buying it, trying it out for a bit, and if I like it, returning it and then trading in my 6505+ for it.

inhuman666

Reaction score
The Tech 21 Powerengine is a good buy
It was designed for use with modelers
I own the 2x12 version, it's 60W, and use it to gig with my Boss GT6
It does the brootal fine!
Don't fancy the speakers though

GizmoJunior

Reaction score
I tried one a few months back at GC with my HD500x. It was okay but I wasn't overly impressed, mostly because of the speaker. I'd suggest getting a Crate Powerblock if you can find one. I really enjoy using mine with my pod and it's super portable.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Reaction score
Honestly if the speaker is the only gripe, I'm just gonna go for it - I still have the stock Sheffield in my 6505+, and I got a fantastic tone with that, so screw it, may as well right?

clintsal

Humbub
Reaction score
I've not owned the Powerengine, but I have an Atomic Reactor 18W, which is a 112 ported EL-84 tube powered cab. I have used it with great success in combination with an AmpTweaker Tight Metal, Engl E530, and Axe FX (Std and Ultra). Without having substantial experience with the Tech21, the advantages I see between the two are:

Power section:
+1 Atomic:
18W of EL84 power is damned loud, and more dynamic than SS power.

Speaker:
+1 Atomic:
150watt, more power and headroom, and less breakup than the 80W Tech21 Celestion

Construction:
+1 Atomic:
Ported construction is punchier and deeper than an open-backed cab. I played with a PE-60 in the guitar shop, and it felt relatively flimsy in terms of construction

Tweakability:
+1 Tech21:
They have a 3 knobs to tweak hi/mid/lo, and a volume control. The Atomic has NO knobs or controls, everything is ran by your input source.

Durability:
Not sure.
I have only had to replace the tubes in the Atomic twice in 5 yrs, and EL84s aren't expensive or tough to swap. No experience with the Tech21 here.

Price:
+1 Atomic:
The two can easily be found for around $200 used on ebay and craigslist, but when you compare the other features I outline above, $200 seems a better value for the Atomic.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Reaction score
Well, I talked to my GC guy, and I'm going to start out with the power engine, because the solid state aspect of it does really appeal to me (no tubes to blow up or replace), as does the tweakability, because I do tweak a lot to get my exact tone.

However, if I don't like it, there's also an Atomic Reactor for the same price, so it's worth a shot. The lack of even a volume control is a bit off putting, however.

clintsal

Humbub
Reaction score
I'm interested to hear how you like it! I always considered getting a PE to put in stereo with the Atomic, seems like it'd be a sweet setup!

Reaction score
Here is what I have learned:

Cons:
- Open back cab
- Mono input, no stereo effects (single speaker)
- Stock speaker isn't anything special
- Price costs as much as a closed back 1x12 with decent speaker, and a mono power amp.

Pros:
- It's in one piece.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
^That reminds me of that mono power amp (450W) Matrix makes. Only needs to be attatched to the cab. It's pricey, though.

WarMachine

Reaction score
Well yes, but the Treadplate model still sounds like a recto, the F-ball model still sounds like a Fireball, the Bassman sounds like a Bassman, etc. So the fact that I got a tone that, to my brother, was nigh indistinguishable from the real deal, is what has me thinking.

I'm talking to the guy from the local GC, he's gonna see what he can do about a straight swap, my 6505+ for a used Power Engine. What I'm going to try and work out is buying it, trying it out for a bit, and if I like it, returning it and then trading in my 6505+ for it.
Oh i dont doubt it dude, i've got a preamp that doesnt have any actual amp models, just low gain and high gain and i've got it sounding damn near spot on even in room to my 5150, but there's always that slight x factor you can't wrap your head around that sets them apart. I think its more of a feel thing than a sound, you can feel the peavey through the floor, and pushing the speakers, but with my pre and SS power amp you hear it more than physically feel it. Either way man do what's good with you, you'll have no problem selling your 1x12 :agreed:

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Reaction score
Well I'm out of town at the moment, so I'm nowhere near my guitar gear, but either sunday afternoon or monday I'm going to try both the regular amp and the model with fresh ears, as it were, see if it's still so good sounding, and go from there.

I have it lined up with the local GC to trade in my 6505+ combo with like $30 on my end for a used Power Engine, if I end up wanting up, so that's nice.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I'm a Tech 21 supporter and I'm stepping in to say this is not a good deal. :nono: Tech 21 amplifiers, including the Power Engine 60, are remarkably cheap on the used market. I would save up and buy a used Power Engine 60; keep your 6505+ out of it, or sell it in a separate deal.

I have 2 Trademark 10's and nearly bought a Trademark 30 last week. I have thought about buying 2 Power Engine 60's for a wet/dry/wet stereo setup. I like Tech 21! Trading a Peavey 6505+ for a used Power Engine 60 (plus $30 from you on top!?) is not a good deal.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Reaction score
Then perhaps I'll just hang onto the Peavey until I get a dedicated small power amp/cab setup.

Opinions on the EHX .44 Magnum?

edsped

Reaction score
44 Magnum is fine but I found it to be just barely loud enough for practicing with my loud-ass band with an AxeFX II into a G-Flex 2x12. I've still got one for sale if you're interested.

Latest posts

')