[Tech] How to Program Drums

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mickytee

Reaction score
hey, im having two small little problems. im a complete n00b to all of this so sorry for my idiocy!

1. how do i zoom out on the drum editor. i zoomed too far in and i dont know how to zoom out. i would be far more productive if i didnt have to keep scrolling right for each new beat!

2. how do i set the left and right locators? when i try to export the beat as an audio mixdown, i get an error saying that i must set the left and right locators!

i would be extremely greatful if someone could help me out
thanks alot
User01

lurker

Reaction score
hey, im having two small little problems. im a complete n00b to all of this so sorry for my idiocy!

1. how do i zoom out on the drum editor. i zoomed too far in and i dont know how to zoom out. i would be far more productive if i didnt have to keep scrolling right for each new beat!

2. how do i set the left and right locators? when i try to export the beat as an audio mixdown, i get an error saying that i must set the left and right locators!

i would be extremely greatful if someone could help me out
thanks alot
User01
1. Click on the triangle slider thingy in the bottom right hand corner of the drum editor screen or, easier way: Left click anywhere on the top band where it has your measures (1234,2234,3234,etc) and while your left click is held down move your cursor up on the screen.

2. Select the pencil tool and click on the area mentioned above (1234,etc). Then drag the little triangles left and right. Make sure it colors in light blue and not in red. If its in red youll get an error if you try to mixdown!

ultranoob

Reaction score
So I tried using the Cubase drum maps for DFHS in nuendo and got some crazy errors, best bet make your own maps for DFHS in nuendo?

Oneiros

Reaction score
i use ADDICTIVE DRUMS, i got them soon, way easier and better and faster to do than anything, and Ii think they got the best samples, dont eat too much RAM like DKFH, try them!!!

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
i'v never messed with anything but fruity loops and i gotta say, this shit is ridiculusly complicated, i dont know how any of you guys understand it. what the hell is a drum map?
so drum kit from hell is just an expansion pack for ez drummer, and ez drummer isnt even a program? its just a plug in for all of these recording programs basically? so in essence, if you really wanted to do this legit, this is like hundreds and hundreds of dollars in software right? i mean, you get the recording program which i assume cubase is like 200+ bucks, and ez drummer with drum kit from hell is like 300 together or something? so you guys spent like a fucking shit load on this, or did you all rip it off?

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
It's not that bad, really. It's just MIDI. The drum map just shows you which MIDI notes apply to which drums.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
i have no clue what the hell midi is, i mean, i'v been told before, but i still have no clue what it is, from what i surmize, basically its like in fruity loops when you say, put a snare sound up, your just replacing it with the spiffy version of a snare from the ezd, right?

D

Desecrated

i'v never messed with anything but fruity loops and i gotta say, this shit is ridiculusly complicated, i dont know how any of you guys understand it. what the hell is a drum map?
so drum kit from hell is just an expansion pack for ez drummer, and ez drummer isnt even a program? its just a plug in for all of these recording programs basically? so in essence, if you really wanted to do this legit, this is like hundreds and hundreds of dollars in software right? i mean, you get the recording program which i assume cubase is like 200+ bucks, and ez drummer with drum kit from hell is like 300 together or something? so you guys spent like a fucking shit load on this, or did you all rip it off?

I'm not trying to be rude here,. but if you open fruityloops and press F1 the manual will open. After reading it through You will most likely feel that FL studio is a very easy program to work with.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm getting REALLY bad latency with dkfh, but I have a pretty nice computer so I'm sure it's not that. Is there any setting you can enable/disable to improve this? Also, any way to get the drums to go through my toneport and into the headphones I'm using to monitor with?

exafro

Reaction score
I'm getting REALLY bad latency with dkfh, but I have a pretty nice computer so I'm sure it's not that. Is there any setting you can enable/disable to improve this? Also, any way to get the drums to go through my toneport and into the headphones I'm using to monitor with?
Set your Toneport as the primary playback device.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I figured that part out. Still getting horrible latency on the drums though :( It's so bad that I actually can't play along to them and record.

Oneiros

Reaction score
check the asio drivers and latency?

i have no clue what the hell midi is, i mean, i'v been told before, but i still have no clue what it is, from what i surmize, basically its like in fruity loops when you say, put a snare sound up, your just replacing it with the spiffy version of a snare from the ezd, right?

Musical Instrument Digital Interface ;):eek:

I figured that part out. Still getting horrible latency on the drums though :( It's so bad that I actually can't play along to them and record.

try mixdown them in audio, should work. I do that whenever my ram get full.
every track of drums separate in audio mixdown than u can add some plugins and colour ;) and no latency!!!

so I do this:

record the drums in general midi, than do MIDI SPLIT into separate channels, than mix them one by one after selecting the best samples.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
help!! i'm getting caught up on step 8, the drum editor isnt an option for me, what the heck do i do?

Ryan

Reaction score
help!! i'm getting caught up on step 8, the drum editor isnt an option for me, what the heck do i do?

Right click on the track you made, and go to MIDI then see if drum editor is in there. If not, make sure you made you track as a MIDI track and not an audio track (wav).

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
ah!, yea, i just for got to actually open the little grey midi box in the track, got it working now, thanks,

and also, killer tutorial ryan, i would have taken a while to figure all that shit out for myself:)

')