[Tech] How to Program Drums

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
how do i stop tracks from bleeding through? when i lay down the midi track, and record an audio track, it will record the drums in the audio track too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sanzen

YEUGH
Reaction score
Great tutorial man! ....waiting on the software right now. I do all the programming for my band, and I'm getting fucking TIRED of fruity loops + shitty drum samples. This helps a LOT.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
how do i do that??
the input says its my sound card or no selection, same with the output, it does this with all the recording prog's i'v had (is always bounced recordings).
I know what you guys are saying, but how do i actually fix it?

Last edited:

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
That's weird. Maybe just mute the drums and play to the click? That's usually what I do when I'm recording my parts anyway. :shrug:

Plankis

Reaction score
how do i do that??
the input says its my sound card or no selection, same with the output, it does this with all the recording prog's i'v had (is always bounced recordings).
I know what you guys are saying, but how do i actually fix it?

You may have to change some settings in your soundcard so that it only records from line in. Maybe check if there's a options meny or similar to the soundcard, and look there for some clues. I can do this with my creative soundcard, choosing between recording only line in or with all sounds in one track.

Check if you've have right soundcard enabled in Devices -> Device setup -> VST audiobay

If none of the above suggestion works then-> :wallbash:

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
yea, i cant find an option to choose line in, it basically only gives me options to choose my sound card, and i cant get any better options looking at the sound card either.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
That's weird. Maybe just mute the drums and play to the click? That's usually what I do when I'm recording my parts anyway. :shrug:

I would, but it will pick up the click, and ANY and ALL noise my computer makes, if i click something with the mouse, and it dings, it will even pick that up.

I'v had to make my drum track, then export a copy of the drums to my external recorder, and lay down the guitar or whatever, then rerecord it back on the computer, then resync the peices, its a huge pain in the ass and kills my creativity when i have to fight my gear like this

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Can you start a new thread in the rec studio/IT forum for this, since it's not really about programming the tracks themselves, and is cluttering up the tutorial?

shredfreak

Reaction score
this might have been answered somewhere in this thread before but can't be bothered looking through every post atm.

How well does midi import work in cubase sx3?
I use guitarpro for writing songs & everything in it so it would be great if i could just import the midi file i export with guitarpro, Assign dfh to the track & voila.

Sanzen

YEUGH
Reaction score
Well i'm up and running using cubase sx3 and exdrummer + dfh, but i'm getting really bad latency while programming. I don't plan on using cubase for anything other than drums, so i haven't messed with any ASIO settings.

would lowering the buffer size help? how do i adjust that in cubase?

edit: just remembered this - is there a way i can adjust the default velocities for inputting hits? I know there's a global one on the toolbar, but what if I want, say, crashes to come in at 110 when i input the hit, but I want the snare at 95?

Shouldn't be my computer, i'm running windows XP on an Athlon 64 3.1 ghz Dual Core with 2 gigs of ram

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
For the latency... decreasing buffer size will decrease latency.

I don't know about default velocities for different voices, but you can shift-click and select all of your snare hits and move them down to 95 at once.

Jeff

Sanzen

YEUGH
Reaction score
For the latency... decreasing buffer size will decrease latency.

I don't know about default velocities for different voices, but you can shift-click and select all of your snare hits and move them down to 95 at once.

Jeff

Thanks jeff - do you know what menu buffer size is under in cubase sx3?

Also, i've already got about 5 of my bands drum tracks programmed in FL Studio using those (terrible) samples - i exported that into a midi file, then imported that into Cubase....problem is, they're all separate tracks. How do I get them to trigger the ezdrummer samples?

thanks!

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
You can control it in your interface menu; I don't recall the menus in Cubase (Reaper convert) but it should be in the preferences where you can access the interface control panel.

I don't understand the second question... you have separate tracks for each instrument and you want to trigger with them? If you want them all in one MIDI file, you can copy-and-paste the actual notes between MIDI files, if I'm not mistaken, so just copy one of them and drag the other instruments over to it.

Jeff

Sanzen

YEUGH
Reaction score
You can control it in your interface menu; I don't recall the menus in Cubase (Reaper convert) but it should be in the preferences where you can access the interface control panel.

I don't understand the second question... you have separate tracks for each instrument and you want to trigger with them? If you want them all in one MIDI file, you can copy-and-paste the actual notes between MIDI files, if I'm not mistaken, so just copy one of them and drag the other instruments over to it.

Jeff

Hey Jeff - yeah, i figured it out man. Got the right drums triggering in the right spot. thanks bro! :yesway:

now, if I can only figure out why my blasts sound like SHIT. :wallbash:

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
Could be the samples, probably is the fact that your velocities aren't being changed and it just sounds robotic because every sample is right on the dot and at the same velocity as the one before it. Learning to make programmed drums sound natural by varying the velocities and deviation from the 'grid' in a way that would seem natural is an art all its own...

Jef

')