[Tech] Pick Scoring

• Thread starter Ancestor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Facebones

Reaction score
I just use V-Picks, they actually work BETTER for people with hot/sweaty hands.

I used them and personally they work for 5 minutes, then my sweat wins. They might work if you only have mild sweat, but for those of us who produce more than most, they aren't what they claim to be. I didn't even find them to be very good picks in general, they wore down quite fast. I bought some real carbon fiber picks from ebay that need no scoring and won't slip out of your hand. Best of all, they are hard as hell and last for months.

Jet9

Petrucci Wannabe
Reaction score
I used them and personally they work for 5 minutes, then my sweat wins. They might work if you only have mild sweat, but for those of us who produce more than most, they aren't what they claim to be. I didn't even find them to be very good picks in general, they wore down quite fast. I bought some real carbon fiber picks from ebay that need no scoring and won't slip out of your hand. Best of all, they are hard as hell and last for months.

I actually sweat a ton, have really hot hands, and have very acidic sweat(if I don't use elixirs, I have to switch strings 7 times a week :lol:) I've had my 4.1mm dimension junior unbuffed since christmas(just one), and it's been the only pick I've used since then on all of my guitars, and my bass when I'm not playing fingerstyle. I've never once dropped it, and it hasnt shown any signs of wear at all. I haven't tried any v-picks thinner than 2.75mm, maybe that's why our experiences are opposite.

I've actually been looking for carbon fiber picks, what company makes them?

Facebones

Reaction score
I actually sweat a ton, have really hot hands, and have very acidic sweat(if I don't use elixirs, I have to switch strings 7 times a week :lol:) I've had my 4.1mm dimension junior unbuffed since christmas(just one), and it's been the only pick I've used since then on all of my guitars, and my bass when I'm not playing fingerstyle. I've never once dropped it, and it hasnt shown any signs of wear at all. I haven't tried any v-picks thinner than 2.75mm, maybe that's why our experiences are opposite.

I've actually been looking for carbon fiber picks, what company makes them?

It was on Ebay, they have crossbones/skull or lighting bolt thing (grateful dead looking thing) on them, I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link here. (They aren't always up, sometimes the listing ends and they seem to wait a little while to post it up again) A little expensive but nice, i got the mediums. I don't use giant picks, mostly between .7 and .9 mm but the mediums are .5 and feel nice. How do big picks work for you??

EDIT: Beware fake carbon fiber picks/ nylon carbon fiber picks, they aren't the same thing, the guy will explicitly say REAL CARBON FIBER

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jet9

Petrucci Wannabe
Reaction score
It was on Ebay, they have crossbones/skull or lighting bolt thing (grateful dead looking thing) on them, I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link here. (They aren't always up, sometimes the listing ends and they seem to wait a little while to post it up again) A little expensive but nice, i got the mediums. I don't use giant picks, mostly between .7 and .9 mm but the mediums are .5 and feel nice. How do big picks work for you??

EDIT: Beware fake carbon fiber picks/ nylon carbon fiber picks, they aren't the same thing, the guy will explicitly say REAL CARBON FIBER

I like to use thicker picks because they allow me to play with a much more loose grip and still hold on well. also, they're good for people with hand cramps for that same reason.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I've no idea as to the purity of the fiber itself, but the jazz3 carbon fiber maxgrips are very easy to hold on to sweat or no sweat. After you get used to them(a couple hours or so) you'll notice yourself relaxing more than ever. The tip does seem to wear out alot quicker than the regular nylon or nylon stiffo's wich are also offered in maxgrip. I've heard a couple guys say the grip is so tacky that they have trouble repositioning the pick for certain techniques or when it does accidently get out of position. I personally found that that problem went away after no time at all once you get used to relaxing a hair more.

saovi

Reaction score
Stone picks are the only thing I use for 8 string. They are fabulous for digging in and adds a nice detail and resonance to your sound. After using this stone picks years, going back to plastic or carbon fiber just doesn't compare in my opinion. The difference is startling.

McHeathen

masterblaster
Reaction score
saw this thread and had to throw in my two cents, i'm partial to clayton 1mm, they're made of something called "acetyl polymer" and have this interesting adhesive to them. if your hands are dry it simply provides friction so the pick don't fly off. but if you start sweating the logo(adhesive) absorbs the sweat and gets slightly stickier, thereby removing the possibility of slippage. it's still manageable enough to move around or reposition, and they also sound pretty good. i used to swear by tortex 1mm, and since i tried these, ain't looked back. they got diff shapes and sizes for em, and the company also does custom logo orders. check em out.

Bloodbath Salt

Title-less
Reaction score
I used to score a "wire fence" pattern on my Ultex Sharps, by heating a Exacto knife with a flame.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I sweat a lot and play hard when I get that high voltage stage energy in my veins, lubricated pick surfaces have always been a problem. I used to play with dunlop tortex 1.0mm and I would use utility knife blades to make cross-hatches on either side of my picks. As long as you are careful, it is not at all difficult to control. I did this for nearly a decade, and never cut myself.

Now, though, I just buy 1.0mm Star Picks, which come with a star shape punched into the middle, and I haven't had any issues with them that couldn't be attributed to unavoidable chance or impairment.

lorguitarist

Legions Of Raum
Reaction score
Here's another way. Done by Willie Adler's and John Campbell's (Lamb Of God) tech. It's at about 26:00 min mark in the video.

Your welcome

ppazin

Reaction score
I do not score my picks, but I sharp them since day one,
I take sharp knife or various nail cutting things, whatever is near,
and cut playing very top of pick from U shape to V shape,
with cutting less material as possible, and preserving original shape as much as possible, just make it sharp and spikey, which makes pick much more precise for picking.

I can do it once, maybe twice on new pick, after they become to round from playing at playing tip, I have to take new and make it sharp again.

Latest posts