[Tech] Pimp your Ibanez TS5 Tubescreamer!

• Thread starter LordOVchaoS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Long ago I posted a thread about how to do the TS808 mod on a TS7 and it went over REALLY well! Well I thought I'd share some more love. An Ibanez TS5, as all tubescreamers except the 808, is a TS9 circuit on a cheaper board, in a cheaper box... and tanks are metal so this one is kind of special! Not to mention you can score them for $20 or so usually.

Here's the culprit!

2244b1bfe0e3ee93.jpg

Start by removing the three knobs. Just pull really hard and they come out. Then take the four screws out of the bottom cover and the one screw holding down the PCB and ground strap. The board should come right out now:

2244b1bfe0f086c3.jpg

First step... remove that HORRIBLE sounding opamp!!! Use desoldering braid on all parts mentioned in this thread. Press the braid against the solder pads and heat until all solder is absorbed. If the part doesn't fall out or pull out with no effort, desolder some more. NEVER force the part out! These boards are cheap and easy to damage.

2244b1bfe0f627e4.jpg

2244b1bfe0fb2cc3.jpg

If you have little experience at this I HIGHLY recommend soldering in an IC socket as opposed to just soldering in the new opamp. Heat can destroy them very easily. Note the notch on the top of the opamp drawing on the PCB, you want the notch of the socket and the dot on the opamp pointing in the same direction.

2244b1bfe10106cf.jpg

2244b1bfe1062ed6.jpg

For old school tubescreamer tone use a JRC4558D. I personally prefer RC4559P but you can use TL072, TL082, NE5532, OPA2134PA, etc... lots of opamps work and you can find differing opinions all over the net.

Next... Desolder R34 and R35:

2244b1bfe10d94f0.jpg

Change R34 to 100 ohm and R35 to 10k ohm. I use 1/4 watt metal film resistors but anything you can fit in there will work. It doesn't matter which direction you put resistors in.

Now desolder D2 and D3:

2244b1bfe114c2c8.jpg

If you are aiming for early tubescreamer tone try to find some 1s1588 diodes and put them here. I buy them on ebay or effectsconnection.com Note the arrow on the board, this points to the negative side of the diode. The diode will have a stripe on this end. I recommend using two different diodes for asymmetrical clipping. A 1N4002 and a red LED is my personal favorite. The short leg of an LED is the negative leg and goes in the direction of the arrow on the board. 1N4148 diodes sound pretty close to 1s1588's and can be bought at Radio Shack. Try different combos and also try soldering two diodes in series in place of one diode!

If all you want is an 808, now you have it! You can stop and reassemble the pedal... but that's boring!

Next I recommend desoldering C11 and C12:

2244b1bfe11a8ae1.jpg

2244b1bfea8bc4aa.jpg

These little orange tantalum fellers sound like shit lol. They are .22uf caps. Just removing them and replacing them with .22uf metal film caps make the pedal sound quite a bit better. It cleans up unwanted distortion and adds overall clarity. I replace them with .15uf metal film caps. This reduces mid hump and shifts the frequency of the tone control. Another popular combination is .22uf metal film in C12 and .1uf in C11. Experiment!

Desolder R18 and R19:

2244b1bfea938329.jpg

These change the gain! R18 is 4.7k ohms stock and R19 is 51K ohms. The lower value you use in R18 the more gain and clarity you get but it also reduces bass. The lower you use in R19 the more your pedal cleans up when you have the gain all the way down. 10k is good and the most popular for R19 but experiment. Anything lower than the original is an improvement. People use between 3.3k and 1k in R18, again experiment.

Desolder C10:

2244b1bfea98ca3f.jpg

Original is .047uf. The bigger cap you use here the more bass you get. I recommend anything in between .1uf and .22 uf. Try a few and see what works for you!

Now remove C8 and C13:

2244b1bfea9e4833.jpg

These are 1uf electrolytic caps. Replace them with 1uf metal film! This takes some mud and distortion out from the low end and again improves overall clarity.

Last but not least... What would any good pedal be without a bright ass LED? :lol:

Desolder it first then remove the screw:

2244b1bfeaac5b41.jpg

The negative side will be marked with a line or arrow just like the diodes, short leg goes here. (LED = light emitting diode)

3mm LEDs will fit right in. I like 5mm :D drill the hole out to 3/16" to fit one.

The finished product:

2244b1bfeaa73b0d.jpg

2244b1bfeab26c2f.jpg

That's it!!! Just put the pedal back together the same way you took it apart and RAWK! Feel free to ask any questions!

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
that's one bright-ass LED :eek:

also very cool mod-guide, joe :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
EDIT: Just noticed the chip I took out of this one is a JRC4558D... other TS5's I've worked on were not! So check before you go ripping it out :lol: might not have to.

Scarpie

Reaction score
this is awesome. i am curious as to what a tubescreamer 808 can do for me, but am broke ass broke. but i am handy so this is a great alternative. thanks for posting

zeal0us

InstruMentalHead
Reaction score
Extremely kickass tutorial, didn't miss a beat. Thanks a lot for this, LordOVchaoS!!

TomParenteau

Tube & Analog Snob
Reaction score
I have an old metal TS-9. It's actually my second one; some jerk swiped my first one off the stage one night. Now I screw them down solid to a big fiberglass pedalboard!

Isn't the '80s TS-9 already a "good" one? I have always liked them just fine.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I have an old metal TS-9. It's actually my second one; some jerk swiped my first one off the stage one night. Now I screw them down solid to a big fiberglass pedalboard!

Isn't the '80s TS-9 already a "good" one? I have always liked them just fine.

They were a favorite of Stevie Ray Vaughn and they work really well for that sort of thing but... boosting high gain amps for metal is different! TS808 works much better... fully modded works even better than that. Here's the TS9 to TS808 mod:

TS-9‰ü‘¢¨TS-808

TomParenteau

Tube & Analog Snob
Reaction score
Well, boosting high-gain amps is all I have ever done with it. But the mod looks easy and I have lots of circuit board experience, so I better hop mine up.

I'm not hurtin' for gain, but I like the idea of a better-sounding op amp and some better caps.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well, boosting high-gain amps is all I have ever done with it. But the mod looks easy and I have lots of circuit board experience, so I better hop mine up.

I'm not hurtin' for gain, but I like the idea of a better-sounding op amp and some better caps.

If I get motivated soon I'll post a full TS9 mod page :lol: I'm working 70something hours a week though so motivation is scarce!

Piro

Reaction score
In the middle of the tutorial you say that if I increase R18 is get more gain and clarity but loose bass. Then 2 steps later with C10 if I increase the capacitence (sp?) I gain bass. If I put a 1k resistor in R18 and a .22uf cap in C10 would the bass even itself back out but I get all the gain and clarity?

Besides that this tutorial is amazing!

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
In the middle of the tutorial you say that if I increase R18 is get more gain and clarity but loose bass. Then 2 steps later with C10 if I increase the capacitence (sp?) I gain bass. If I put a 1k resistor in R18 and a .22uf cap in C10 would the bass even itself back out but I get all the gain and clarity?

Besides that this tutorial is amazing!

The combined components are called an negative feedback loop and they work in conjunction. They don't necessarily ADD or DECREASE bass but they change what frequency the pedal starts rolling lows off at. Go here: Guitar Pedals: R-C Filter Calculator to find out which frequency the pedal starts rolling them off at.

If I put a 1k resistor in R18 and a .22uf cap in C10 would the bass even itself back out but I get all the gain and clarity?

Do that and use 5mm red LEDs for D2 and D3 and you essentially have a $400 Landgraff DO... Use an OPA2134PA opamp with that and you essentially have a $1500+ Clay Jones overdrive :lol:

In all fairness both of them use a 1M ohm pot for the drive as opposed to 500k ohm...

A|| uR bAsS r belong to swirl paint jobs.

Cool name btw

lurgar

Reaction score
This looks awesome and I really want to do if for nothing else just to check it out. Question though, how close to the real thing does this sound get? Is it exactly the same after being modded, or is it a really close approximation?

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you do all the mods it will sound a lot better than a ts808. If you do only the 808 mod it will sound nearly identical to a stock ts808. The circuit will be 100% the same but there will be some variance in parts brand and quality. I doubt anybody could tell tue difference in a blind test, sounds the same to me!

This looks awesome and I really want to do if for nothing else just to check it out. Question though, how close to the real thing does this sound get? Is it exactly the same after being modded, or is it a really close approximation?

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
I've played with a few TS-like pedals (read: more of those stupid 9->808 conversions than I can count, op amp switches, diode swaps, and so on) and I still have one question - you're spending far more time on this than I care to, so here goes...

Precisely why the fuck does anyone care about 4558s anymore? They were picked because they were cheap and readily available, and we have far better op amps available for even less money (like the 5532 and 2134 you mentioned), so what am I missing apart from 'traditional' nonsense?

Jeff