[Tech] Pimp your Ibanez TS5 Tubescreamer!

• Thread starter LordOVchaoS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Precisely why the fuck does anyone care about 4558s anymore? They were picked because they were cheap and readily available, and we have far better op amps available for even less money (like the 5532 and 2134 you mentioned), so what am I missing apart from 'traditional' nonsense?

Jeff

I was using 2134's for a while and decided I didn't like them. They gave pedals a honky midrange character and "quackiness" that I didn't like. They sound good IMO if you're going to use the overdrive into a clean channel for some bluesy breakup but NOT as a boost for a dirty channel. I tried NE5532's for a while and had a HUGE failure rate! I originally bought them to quiet down Boss GE7's and the first time I installed them they were ALL bad! Replaced them all and one was still bad. Finally got them all good and one of them died 2 days later. I threw away the rest of them. I ended up using 2134's in that pedal and they ARE perfect for that! Yes, 4558's were used because they were cheap and readily available but... they also gave tubescreamers the sound that they're known for. They just work. I prefer RC4559P :) Clearer, quieter, and a little more hi-fi sounding than 4558 with a tad less mid hump.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
Unlucky bastard... I have never had a 5532 fail, and didn't wind up with that 2134 honkiness bothering me - was that mid nonsense on a pedal that was otherwise stock?

Jeff

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Unlucky bastard... I have never had a 5532 fail, and didn't wind up with that 2134 honkiness bothering me - was that mid nonsense on a pedal that was otherwise stock?

Jeff

No it was in Bloody Murders. I only shipped two of them with that chip, I think Crucified and Noodles own them. Compared to 4559's they just sounded quacky and honkey :( I can DEFINITELY see where somebody who plays a different style could like it, just not for me. I try to make my pedals as transparent as possible.

:EDIT: and are you just now figuring out that my luck sucks? :lol: I'm thoroughly convinced I was Hitler in my previous life!

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
Bloody Murders have the usual TS mid hump reduced significantly, don't they? That may be the issue - the stuff I usually think of as 'quacky' is a bit above the cutoff in the usual pedals.

Jeff

Chris Migdalski

Reaction score
its alive!!!!! Plugged my Ibanez 8 string (with 18 volt mod) into it... then output into a line 6 tiny 15 watt practice amp on the clean channel....sounds like crap....so I going to work on getting the right op amp like possibly pulling one out of my 92' Crate stealth (it has a couple of TLO72cp and NE5532 in it or i might try to acquire one from work...I actually found an 8 pin socket to install in the board to switch out op amps......looking for metal tone

Chris Migdalski

Reaction score
Wow follow the lord ov chaos instructions about halfway through installing resistors I realized my pedal doesnt match his....damn its an sp5.....LOL should have looked at the board 1st..

Chris Migdalski

Reaction score
I swapped out a diode for a red LED (cool idea from lordOVchaos) and it worked but Im getting this hummmmm from something I will get back to this hopefully when I get home from practice tomorrow night...Got to clean it too very nasty

Chris Migdalski

Reaction score
After not realizing what i got into then realizing I had a completely different pedal than the tube screamer (I just compared the schematics and made adjustments as I went) I think Im getting a hang of it...I know it looks messy but i really made a difference with its original distortion tone...I'm at a point where Im tryng to adjust the gain to be more acceptable...

Chris Migdalski

Reaction score
side note: could not use the Line 6 15 watt amp for testing this thing...it couldn't handle it, so i switched to an old crate G60 practice amp on the clean channel...huge difference in being able to monitor ditortion tone etc...when time permits I will continue to tweek

plexi17

Reaction score
does anyone know where i can find the yellow boxed metal film capacitors used. Ive seen them on monotone but not in the correct values.

LordoVChao5 could you tell me where you order your parts from?

Thanks

asilayamazing

Reaction score

shreddykreuger

Reaction score
THANK YOU LordOVchaoS!

I just did this mod last night. It was my first attempt at something like this and I think I might be hooked. It took a while but the instructions were great.

I did my own research of course too and took it slow. Getting a parts list together took as long as the mod itself, though I screwed up and didn't order the right parts to replace R18, C10 and C13 so those were skipped for now. I did buy several different Op Amps from Mouser Electronics so I intend to go back into the pedal and experiment. I ended up with a lot less bass but one of the things I liked about this pedal before the mods was how the mids and highs cut through.

After the mods, the settings had to be messed with to find the right tone but I like it - I recorded samples of before and after and it's definitely a clearer sound and less unwanted noise. Before it was like a mild distortion, now it sounds like a good quality overdrive.

I'll be trying to add more gain and bass in the next pass.

By the way, this is my first post to Sevenstring.

H34rtster

Reaction score
I had a beat up TS5 and followed your instructions. The results were a huge improvement. Thanks for this!

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
How many of those TS5's did you make, LordOvChaos? I got given one by a friend (TheSixthWheel) and it's a Chaos modded TS5. Do I have the pedal in the OP's pictures? :lol:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Bumping this because I got a TS5 on the way.

Any clue if the footswitch is SPST or DPST? I wanna see if I can replace the stock switch with a soft-touch momentary switch. I did this with my Bad Monkey and it worked perfectly, and I believe the TS5 uses the same FET switching.