Reaction score
i was just wondering what scales the following bands use

-veil of maya
-death
-born of osiris
-within the ruins
-the faceless

help would be greatly appreciated

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Well... Probably a few.

Dominant Phrygian/Spanish Phrygian is very often used as a tonal scale in this sort of music.
Melodic and harmonic minor as well.

There is also a lot of usage of symmetrical scales like the whole tone scale and the whole-half diminished scale.

Hope I could help!

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
Whatever works. Natural minor, harmonic minor, phrygian, phrygian dominant, diminished octatonic, some whole tone (to a lesser degree than the others), and a lot of things are chromatically derived. Sometimes, you'll only hear a diminished chord as a pitch source. Occasionally, the notes will be derived from the chords in a jazzier manner, particularly, when there are chords outside of the key.

sarkophagus

Reaction score
any chance of finding out what scale the riff at 3:40 is in this song

because i would like to mess around with it, it has a kinda of medievil or something sound wich i find pretty interesting

sarkophagus

Reaction score
thanks shecterwhore
i need you skills once again

what scales are used in this song at like 0:38-0:56 and 2:47-3:06

sarkophagus

Reaction score
thanks for the help but just before i get a bad name i dont just listen to these sumeriancore bands my biggest influence are death wich where the godfathers of deathmetal but i cant just listen to death all day everyday so i find that these new band are putting alot of chucks old techniques into practice and its kinda like a revival of good guitar playing!

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
what scales are used in this song at like 0:38-0:56 and 2:47-3:06

0:38 is in Eb major. It stays on the I chord for a while, then that change is to the vi chord.

2:47 is G minor (I think). It's mostly natural minor, but there's some harmonic minor thrown in every now and then.

I havent heard the term octatonic used before, Is this just a fancy way of saying a diminished scale?

Yeah. "Diminished scale" is understood to be made of two interlocking diminished seventh chords (like Cdim7, C Eb Gb Bbb, and C#dim7, C# E G Bb; C h/w diminished scale - C C# D# E F# G A Bb). It so happens that this scale has eight tones. Well, 'eight' = 'octa', 'tones' = 'tonic', so people refer to it as the octatonic scale. However, there are more scales that are octatonic that are not the octatonic scale, such as the bebop scales, so I like to refer to it as the 'diminished octatonic scale' to remove all doubt. Interestingly, I've heard the w/h version identified as the diminished scale, and the h/w version as the dominant scale.

Reaction score
thanks for the help but just before i get a bad name i dont just listen to these sumeriancore bands my biggest influence are death wich where the godfathers of deathmetal but i cant just listen to death all day everyday so i find that these new band are putting alot of chucks old techniques into practice and its kinda like a revival of good guitar playing!

Why would that give you a bad name? 80% of the forum loves those guys :lol:

sarkophagus

Reaction score
oh right cool!! im just so used to ignorant comments about that new style and am kinda sick of them

i saw that born of osiris where hated a good bit on this forum though
i personally think they are geniuses

getaway_fromme

Reaction score
0:38 is in Eb major. It stays on the I chord for a while, then that change is to the vi chord.

2:47 is G minor (I think). It's mostly natural minor, but there's some harmonic minor thrown in every now and then.

2:47 is in F harmonic minor and
3:40 is in C harmonic minor

Necky379

Reaction score
any chance of finding out what scale the riff at 3:40 is in this song

because i would like to mess around with it, it has a kinda of medievil or something sound wich i find pretty interesting

thats a cool riff dude, never heard of them before but i like it.

Caveman

Caveman
Reaction score
where do you learn music theory such as this? im self taught. and honestly you'd probably all think i was guitar downsyndrome. at least when it comes to music theory.

and who doesnt like born of osiris? when i saw them live i was quite impressed.

SerratedSkies

Reaction score
Diminished scales and Harmonic Minor scales have always givin death metal that evil sound it's looking for, specifically because of that half step leading tone.

How does one learn stuff like this? Well, lucky for us guitar players, most of this stuff is positional.

Assuming you're in standard tuning;

(Do not read these scales as triads. Read them as sets of triplets stacked upon each other. I'm at work, so I can't tab all that well. Again, they are NOT chords. They're poorly tabbed scales.)

e
B
G 8 9
D 7 9 10
A 7 9 10
E

That would be E Harmonic Minor. Shift it up a half step, you have F Harmonic Minor. Shift it down a step, you have D Harmonic Minor. Phrygian Dominant is just starting this scale from it's 5th position.

e
B
G 6 8 9
D 7 8 10
A 7 9 10
E

A diminished scale with E as your root note.

It's very important to know the difference between a natural Minor and a harmonic Minor, because together those two create the Melodic Minor scale, which incorporates both styles of leading tones (Half step and whole step).

Also, I'd like to add that a lot of bands are less theorectical then you would think. The Faceless, for one, has a lot of riffs constructed around minor thirds and whole tones. Yes, you can fit that within certain scales and diminished runs, but everyone knows how it is to create a riff out of nothing but minor thirds. Ghost of a Stranger and Hypocrisy come to mind as far as Faceless songs (Shit.. they practically have the same riff in them!)

Psychobuddy

edxgxsrfrz
Reaction score
@Caveman, I learned a lot just from personal study. An excellent place to start is Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar books, the first one in particular. I'm self taught and I'm competent in music theory not as beastly as Mike [SchcterWhore] but I think he is in music school.

The best advice is to just jump into theory it takes a while to get a firm grasp on it but it is worth in the end.

Sorry to go off topic but he asked the question so I answered it...I think.

')