Tech/prog deathmetal scales

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
When I'm figuring this stuff out, I listen to whether it's modal or has a 'leading tone' sound to it, and if it's neither, then I either recall the sound of the scale, or if it's unfamiliar, then I get my guitar and pick out tones from the scale one by one until I know the intervallic composition of the scale. As for knowing the key, I find the tonic chord on my guitar and I'm pretty much set. It's all ear training and theory, and not even a whole lot of it. And, yeah, I'm enrolled in a music program at a community college (that just so happens to have really kickass faculty).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SerratedSkies

Reaction score
When I'm figuring this stuff out, I listen to whether it's modal or has a 'leading tone' sound to it, and if it's neither, then I either recall the sound of the scale, or if it's unfamiliar, then I get my guitar and pick out tones from the scale one by one until I know the intervallic composition of the scale. As for knowing the key, I find the tonic chord on my guitar and I'm pretty much set. It's all ear training and theory, and not even a whole lot of it. And, yeah, I'm enrolled in a music program at a community college (that just so happens to have really kickass faculty).

This being said, don't you find it extremely easy to pick out harmonic minor, no matter what the mode? I just seem to always know who's abusing harmonic minor.

Caveman

Caveman
Reaction score
Woa thanks everyone. its suprising to most people ive been playing seven years and can play things like the faceless and pantera solos n whatnot when i dont know anything past string tunings.

thanks for the advice later tonight im sure ill bury myself in learning all this.

i only have one last question since it seems i can get answers from highly competent players.

the dimebag solo from domination does a run with these notes

E12 15 18
A12 15 18 19
D12 15 18
G12 15 18
B12 14 15 18
E12 14 15 18

what scale/mode or what not is that?
thanks again though you guys are seriously awesome

TXDeathMetal

Lemme smang it girl!
Contributor
Reaction score
thanks for the help but just before i get a bad name i dont just listen to these sumeriancore bands my biggest influence are death wich where the godfathers of deathmetal but i cant just listen to death all day everyday so i find that these new band are putting alot of chucks old techniques into practice and its kinda like a revival of good guitar playing!

Well if you listen to a lot of Death and Chuck Schuldiner's work then you should already be familiar with a few of these different types of scales. I will also admit that I'm not that strong when it comes to theory but I do believe that Chuck liked to use a lot of Phrygian scales in his work (listen to the intro to "Zombie Ritual"... I believe it is used there) and probably a a good deal of harmonic minor scales. If you are into bands like Necrophagist and The Black Dahlia Murder then I know those guys use the hell out of the harmonic minor scale in their leads/solos.

As I said above I'm not that strong when it comes to theory but I do believe that the examples I listed are correct.

avenger

Reaction score
0:38 is in Eb major. It stays on the I chord for a while, then that change is to the vi chord.

2:47 is G minor (I think). It's mostly natural minor, but there's some harmonic minor thrown in every now and then.

Yeah. "Diminished scale" is understood to be made of two interlocking diminished seventh chords (like Cdim7, C Eb Gb Bbb, and C#dim7, C# E G Bb; C h/w diminished scale - C C# D# E F# G A Bb). It so happens that this scale has eight tones. Well, 'eight' = 'octa', 'tones' = 'tonic', so people refer to it as the octatonic scale. However, there are more scales that are octatonic that are not the octatonic scale, such as the bebop scales, so I like to refer to it as the 'diminished octatonic scale' to remove all doubt. Interestingly, I've heard the w/h version identified as the diminished scale, and the h/w version as the dominant scale.
This has actually been quite helpful but there is jsut one thing I want to clear up with the diminished scale.

I see diminished w/h or diminished h/w am I right to beleive this just means starting from the root note you alternate whole step/half step or half step/whole step depending on the version (w/h, h/w). Or does the w/h denote something completely different?

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Could be several things - 12 - 15 - 18 is a diminished triad (12th fret root) 12-15-19 is a minor triad (12th fret root again) 12-14-15-18 could be viewed as part of a harmonic minor scale (E and then B I think)....Dime played a lot of shapes without referrence to theory simply because he liked the way they sound.

That lick from cowboys from hell where he takes the 11-12-15 shape across the strings - you could break it down and analyse each string in terms of a scale but sometimes it's better just to stick with the old adage "If it sounds right, it is right" :)

Johnboy_Ice

Reaction score
am I right to beleive this just means starting from the root note you alternate whole step/half step or half step/whole step depending on the version (w/h, h/w).

:yesway:

(If I am wrong please plaese correct me for my own sake as well as for the sake of those who listen to me)

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
This has actually been quite helpful but there is jsut one thing I want to clear up with the diminished scale.

I see diminished w/h or diminished h/w am I right to beleive this just means starting from the root note you alternate whole step/half step or half step/whole step depending on the version (w/h, h/w). Or does the w/h denote something completely different?

Yes, you're right.

MLI

Reaction score
The Faceless use mostly natural minor scales, but the key to their sound is that they rapidly shift between keys chromatically.

Like: little lick in C minor, then the exact same lick a minor third up (Eb minor).

Try it.

')