Tele Tinkerer

• Thread starter rikomaru
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rikomaru

Reaction score
so straight to the beans. i need a tele bridge pickup that retains tele character but volume balances with a split SD Jazz in the neck. my other idea is to find a neck HB similar to the Jazz in tone and dynamics that would volume match the Dimarzio Pre B1 in the same situation. I've been considering an EJ Custom, especially for the split sound, but i want a more HB-like sound in full humbucking mode.

all help shall be truly appreciated. i want to make this tele build one of my ultimates and a go-to like The Wife.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wakjob

Reaction score
Tele bridge PU?... single, stacked, or reg. humbucker sized?

rikomaru

Reaction score
so far the ones i'm interested in are singles, but a stacked one may catch my interest at some point. I only need the volume to match when the neck HB is split, although most manufacturers try to reduce the volume difference now anyway :/

rikomaru

Reaction score
does that still have the "tele" sound though? the track on the SD site sounded pretty much like a humbucker with only slightly boosted high end.

what i'm after is more of the vintage lead or jerry donahue model with a tad more beef to it. it seems that the problem is the volume matching though. the jazz is a surpisingly loud pickup, even split, and i couldn't get an answer on the SD forum. :(

Off_The_Heezay

Reaction score
DiMarzio Area Ts are meant to be very tele-ish noiseless singles. The hot one should have the output to compete with the Jazz.

wakjob

Reaction score
I had the Dimarzio Hot-T in a Thinline Tele. It was pretty bright/harsh and icepicky.

I had to dump a lot of highs at the amp to make it kinda work for me. I ended up ditching it and putting the stock PU back in that guitar.

A lot of Tele players like the Chopper for some reason. I never tried that one... yet.

rikomaru

Reaction score
DiMarzio Area Ts are meant to be very tele-ish noiseless singles. The hot one should have the output to compete with the Jazz.

I had the Dimarzio Hot-T in a Thinline Tele. It was pretty bright/harsh and icepicky.

I had to dump a lot of highs at the amp to make it kinda work for me. I ended up ditching it and putting the stock PU back in that guitar.

A lot of Tele players like the Chopper for some reason. I never tried that one... yet.

i was looking at the Hot T on the site and :scratch:ing a bit about it. I ws actually worried about it being too bright for my taste, but hoping the fact that my tele will be thinline would help. Thanks for crushing that dream lol I have a Chopper in my Warmoth strat and i dig it, but for some reason didn't think of using it in the tele. If i go with Dimarzio for the bridge pu, i'll want to find a neck pu of the same brand. I've grown tired of needing to think about reversing polarity and the possible tonal effects of it.

I kinda wish they had better sound clips on the site to make these choices a tad easier :(

Heezay do you have the Hot T in any of your guitars? If so, would you link a demo? I found some of my notes from about 6 years ago and apparently i was lening toward that Pre B1 then too......unfortunately, i was also apparently having a tough time picking a HB for the neck haha Thanks for giving input chaps. I really do appreciate it and keep it coming. XD

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
apprently this a tough question >.>

Man! It is a tough one! I would love to help you but can't really think of, or don't have any experience with hot tele pups.

Have you posted same question over at TDPRI? Lot of experience over there.

Good luck!!

Whammy

Reaction score
How about this one?

Lundgren Telecaster Hot Bridge 11Kohm
A pickup wound with the same thinner copper wire as the Broadcastermodel. This model have 20% more turns of copperwire than our Broadcaster model. The mids are more pronounced compared to the vintage model with less treble.

rikomaru

Reaction score
Man! It is a tough one! I would love to help you but can't really think of, or don't have any experience with hot tele pups.

Have you posted same question over at TDPRI? Lot of experience over there.

Good luck!!

no i hadn't posted there. wasn't even really aware of it actually lol thanks. I'll look into it.

How about this one?

Lundgren Telecaster Hot Bridge 11Kohm
A pickup wound with the same thinner copper wire as the Broadcastermodel. This model have 20% more turns of copperwire than our Broadcaster model. The mids are more pronounced compared to the vintage model with less treble.

heading to the site now. not sure if i've ever seen Lundgren in person, but i've definitely heard of it.

repost upcoming after some browsing :)

Whammy

Reaction score
heading to the site now. not sure if i've ever seen Lundgren in person, but i've definitely heard of it.

repost upcoming after some browsing :)

Most people around here only think of the M7 when they hear Lundgren. But makes awesome vintage pickups.

I'm very interested in his late 60's strat pickups :)

rikomaru

Reaction score
ok so i do dig the sound of that tele bridge, both clean and dirty. do you happen to know how they translate in high gain situations? and why are their pickup names so damn epic? The One? Vertigo? I almost want to work on a different guitar just to have those in it lol

and now off the tdpri :)

Latest posts

')