Tell us 5 bands you can't stand AT ALL !

• Thread starter 8Fingers
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMasterplan

Creator//Destroyer
Reaction score
never understood the in before the lock thing, I know what it means I just don't get why people do it :scratch:

Heh. It's just like if you see something that you think is going to completely derail the thread; such as going really off topic or finding two members going toe to toe amidst the sea of other posts - it's only a matter of time before a mod wakes up and does something about it before it gets out of hand. More of an "I told you so" if anything. :p

I talk from experience seeing as how no matter how good my intentions are about 80% of my topics get locked in the end. :lol:

In this particular case it was going off of the topic of music and on topics political/international/whatever. Depends on how far people take it though because sometimes it lives and dies in the same breath as seems to be the case here. :fever:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
If Cobain were still alive to see just how corporate his very name has become he'd, well, blow his brains out with a shotgun I imagine...

:yesway: Kurt was a smart guy but surely he must have realized that his suicide would have led to him becoming an action figure and an endless array of products which have fuck all to do with what made him great in the first place that is part of why I'm not totally convinced his death was a suicide.
Kurt had a lot of pressure on him he went from being part of an average punk band that was releasing a record (which their own label admit they didn't have much hope for) to knocking Michael Jackson off the no 1 spot and suddenly being viewed as the "voice of a generation"
To me just thinking about that level of success is mind blowing and it fucks me off that people forget that and don't see things in perspective anymore.

If anything this thread has been a great read but the one thing that disappoints me is the use of the word "overrated" especially when it comes to dead artists, it's not their fault that the press have made them into something they never were in the wake of their death.
I just wish people would have some fucking sense and see past the media bullshit because those who believe band X are overrated due to media hype are just as stupid and ultimately no better than those who are conned by the media into believing that the same band are the saviours of music.

8Fingers

Banned
Reaction score
If anything this thread has been a great read

Thread is cool but what is really cool here is MEMBERS.
In any other guitar forum people would start argueing and fighting about the others tastes and soon a mod would lock it.
Here we can see the most different opnions and not even 1 rude post in almost 400 posts !!!!!!!!!!! :shred:
AWESOME :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thread is cool but what is really cool here is MEMBERS.
In any other guitar forum people would start argueing and fighting about the others tastes and soon a mod would lock it.
Here we can see the most different opnions and not even 1 rude post in almost 400 posts !!!!!!!!!!! :shred:
AWESOME :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Exactly. I'm not a hardcore 7-stringer, I mostly hang here for the people. I used to be at ultimate-guitar, which is kind of the Jerry Springer of guitar forums. I'm glad I found this place.

lnname

ss.org awesome
Reaction score
SLAYER- how did a band who innovated thrash so little be praised so much higher than annihilator, testament and exodus put together?

OPETH- what happened? why is there a section in "the lotus eaters" that sound like super mario? why does their song "grand conjuration" exist? why don't they play all that cool folk/death like they used to?

PERIPHERY and their clones. why do so many people write sequences of unrelated and interchangable riffs rather than songs?

TRIVIUM when they decided to sing clean they were dubbed as sell outs. when they decided to bow to the pressure from their label and fans to start growling again they were described as un-selling out. I don't really mind their music or fans, I think its nice to get kids into metal, but i hate the way that they did something original and to avoid being called sell outs they went back to being another boring commercial metalcore act.

All bands that play really fast and then have a half speed melodic chorus and then power back to a dissonant shouted verse. So that's probably Trivium and the Periphery clones again.

can i add NIRVANA and other grundge derivatives too that list too?

kellestyne

The Dude
Reaction score
SLAYER- how did a band who innovated thrash so little be praised so much higher than annihilator, testament and exodus put together?

OPETH- what happened? why is there a section in "the lotus eaters" that sound like super mario? why does their song "grand conjuration" exist? why don't they play all that cool folk/death like they used to?

PERIPHERY and their clones. why do so many people write sequences of unrelated and interchangable riffs rather than songs?

TRIVIUM when they decided to sing clean they were dubbed as sell outs. when they decided to bow to the pressure from their label and fans to start growling again they were described as un-selling out. I don't really mind their music or fans, I think its nice to get kids into metal, but i hate the way that they did something original and to avoid being called sell outs they went back to being another boring commercial metalcore act.

All bands that play really fast and then have a half speed melodic chorus and then power back to a dissonant shouted verse. So that's probably Trivium and the Periphery clones again.

can i add NIRVANA and other grundge derivatives too that list too?

Say what you will about Opeth, but they still create much better music than most new so called "death metal" bands, really they just switched to a progressive sound. I agree about the Lotus eater, most of 'Watershed" isn't that great

Bumskull

Reaction score
Say what you will about Opeth, but they still create much better music than most new so called "death metal" bands, really they just switched to a progressive sound. I agree about the Lotus eater, most of 'Watershed" isn't that great

Interesting. I just thought it was a little bit unfocused, even for Opeth. I'm not sure their new sound is bad because I like Blackwater as much as Ghost Reveries.

cycloptopus

Reaction score
Because Slayer started brutal music. Exodus was around at the same time but have never been as brutal. Testament and Annihilator didn't even exist until years after Hell Awaits.

I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinions. But I don't understand the hate people have for Slayer on this forum. It confuses me to no end how people pay no attention to history. Even if you don't really like Slayer, I would think you would have to respect their impact on metal. There is no-one who was more brutal before them, and in my opinion they still have some of the heaviest riffs of all time. (Post Mortem, for example) Your statement that they "innovated thrash so little" is way off.

Thin_Ice_77

You'll never make it
Reaction score
I don't want to derail the thread, but do you really believe they've done nothing for metal and music in general?
I didn't say that. I just hate their music. There's absolutely no variety in what they play, the guitarists solos are fucking terrible and I honestly think that the only member of the band with any measurable amount of talent is the drummer. They may have influenced x amount of metal bands around today and I respect that even if I don't really understand why.

Jogeta

Reaction score
yeah! as much as i love Reign In Blood and God Hates Us all, almost all Slayer solos are;
1/ start with big bends
2/ fast alt picked scale run
3/ end with whammy bar masturbation

gets a bit old after a while!

Last edited:

cycloptopus

Reaction score
I didn't say that. I just hate their music. There's absolutely no variety in what they play, the guitarists solos are fucking terrible and I honestly think that the only member of the band with any measurable amount of talent is the drummer. They may have influenced x amount of metal bands around today and I respect that even if I don't really understand why.
And that's fair enough. I think it's a respect thing for me. I have a hard time hating any artist who changes the face of music. Just like John Ice was saying about Hendrix earlier in the thread, you can't deny how he changed guitar/music even if you think there are 8 million players that can play faster more difficult stuff. It's about innovation for me.

I have very little respect for followers and/or copy cats. That's why I don't like Sepultura. Basically in the early years they were a total Slayer rip off. Then when Korn came out, they started sounding like them (Roots) and I don't respect that.

Reaction score
Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman are the greatest worst guitar players of all time. Sure there are plenty of more technically sound and skilled players, but IMO structured, thought out solos just wouldn't fit their music. When they first started, there were no bands as aggressive as they were. Cycloptopus is right, they changed the face of music. They took a punk background, mixed it with thrash, threw some Satanist spices on top, and the world was never the same again.

Reaction score
SLIPKNOT :hungus:
Seriously: what the fuck?! I hate everything about them!

And because I hate them so much I cant name any other bands because Slipknot take all five positions in this one.
I d like to slap each of em and rename em Slapknot.

kellestyne

The Dude
Reaction score
Interesting. I just thought it was a little bit unfocused, even for Opeth. I'm not sure their new sound is bad because I like Blackwater as much as Ghost Reveries.

Yeah I'd agree on unfocused, but I do enjoy Ghost reveries, and all their other cd's. Opeth are great musicians and song writers, but Watershed didn't live up to their other cds

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score
I don't want to derail the thread, but do you really believe they've done nothing for metal and music in general?

it doesn't matter what they've done for music

The beatles pioneered rock and roll. I can't stand them!

cycloptopus

Reaction score
it doesn't matter what they've done for music

The beatles pioneered rock and roll. I can't stand them!
True, it's all just opinion, isn't it? My bad...carry on hating on Slayer and the Beatles.

5 bands I hate are:

The Jonas Brothers
The Jonas Brothers
The Jonas Brothers
The Jonas Brothers

and

The Jonas Brothers

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
1. The Jonas Brothers - self explanatory
2. The Beatles - At first I just didn't care for them, but after years of having them forced down my throat, it got old FAST.
3. Ozzy outside of black sabbath - Outside of maybe one or two songs, again, I didn't care for him, but still had respect. But every time the subject came up I was immediately flamed because "OMG BUT IT'S RANDY RHOADS!!!!" and I grew tired of everyone saying I HAD to like him because of Randy Rhoads... Eventually it grew annoying.
4. Earth, Wind and fire (I don't actually hate them, but after being forced to listen to a live album 7 or 8 times in a row... I think I went a little insane)
5. And Slayer, but only when there is a guitar solo going on. I can sometimes deal with them because the songs are so bad-ass... But come on... I can deal with chaotic solo's, but for the love of god do it in key!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')