Telling the audience to get up on stage

dbuk01

Reaction score
What do you guys think about the bands that tell/force the audience to get up on stage/mosh/do something.

I think its kinda annoying but you guys think it really helps the band's stage presence?

It's a performance and crowd interaction is cool...its about having fun and keeping it entertaining not standing still etc

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
A week or two ago I played a prom with a couple of hundred drunk 18-year olds in tuxes and gowns... about 40 of them got up on stage first song, hijacked the mics and tripped over our monitor cables, mic stands, lyrics, everything... and after getting them down 3-4 times but them still coming back every time, they stayed up there the rest of the gig. Given that nothing got broken, and the sheer enthusiasm they showed towards us (we were called gods...) and the absolutely epic response on the dance floor (which we couldn't see, most of the time) it was kinda fun. A memory for sure, I was scared to death half the gig but it was fun. However, I will NEVER EVER deal with that a second time. If the place has such poor security that drunk idiots can come up on stage and potentially damage thousands of dollars worth of gear then I will unplug my guitar, take my rig and fucking leave. AND demand to still get paid.

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
fucking no.
My gear isn't the best BUT its worth something that can't be replaced if some fucking asshole knocks it over and breaks it.

Goatchrist

Reaction score
Disavowed makes this alot, they really connect with the audience, so I really dig it!
Playing at the same festival myself this year and I have to say that I'm little bit scared about that.

Nevertheless best OpenAir in the world.

Murmel

Reaction score
@JohnIce: You played a high school prom and everyone was drunk? There was no administration on hand? That's bizarre.

If it's a graduation prom everyone is 18+ anyway, so they can drink freely. You're allowed to drink in Sweden from the age of 18, but you can't buy any hard liquor until you're 21.

samincolour

Sweaty fox.
Reaction score
Greg from Dillinger Escape Plan wins at this... Telling everyone to get on the stage, and then tells everyone to stage dive at the same time haha

Jontain

Reaction score
Awesome when it goes well, but so much can go wrong, for the artists its going to be less fun having all the drunk guys thrashing about next to your stack and guitar......

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
@JohnIce: You played a high school prom and everyone was drunk? There was no administration on hand? That's bizarre.

As Murmel said, the legal age is 18 in Sweden (20 to actually buy alcohol in a store though). But yeah, the lack of security/teachers/whatever was appalling. Should've grabbed a hold of someone in charge afterwards and told them that if they plan on arranging this next year again (which they probably will) they should know that I'd have demanded €2000 from them if a student had thrashed my Axe-Fx. If nothing to help the band playing next year to keep their shit intact.

danieluber1337

☻☺☻☼☺☻☺
Reaction score
Just in case you didn't know, it's a part of their stage show, it's not a fan, it's a part of the crew, they do it at every show :)

That makes sense. I think that they would be held liable for any injury caused by intentional flame-thrower ownage. Unless they had waivers to be signed! OR -- "THE FIRST 15 FEET IS THE DANGER ZONE" .. you know, like splash zone.. :D lol

zappafile

Reaction score
Getting people out of the audience is stupid and should be avoided at all costs. You risk your gear and the gear of others all for a cheap trick to hype the audience. It takes one idiot to spill a drink and that's it. End of gig. Theft, fights, damage etc etc. I am completely against it. I am a sound guy though.

rotebass

Reaction score
Getting people out of the audience is stupid and should be avoided at all costs. You risk your gear and the gear of others all for a cheap trick to hype the audience. It takes one idiot to spill a drink and that's it. End of gig. Theft, fights, damage etc etc. I am completely against it. I am a sound guy though.

I agree completely, coincidently I'm also a sound guy and I have to sit and watch this go on more often than I would like, I think it looks tacky as hell and puts not only the bands equipment, but my equipment at risk.

caskettheclown

Sexytime!
Reaction score
If the show is going great and people are really into it then i'm sure someone would love to get on the stage. I'd love to get on stage with a band I like. It makes for a hell of a story and when the word gets around more people might get interested.

Though its always good to have security lol.

Audience participation can be fun as hell for audience and the band if you can pull it off

Tobi

Reaction score
I personally wouldnt let anyone get up on stage unless they are friends or something. However I definantly think that at small gigs anyway it's for some sort of music necessaryto motivate the audience to get into it or buy more beer XD
If they want to do that sort of stuff at that location again you need the crowd to spend money XD

')