Temporary guitar loan... (Thorn Carbon Fiber content \m/)

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Well my buddy from the Thorn Forum let me borrow the Thorn Singlecut Florentine Carbon Fiber Prototype and this thing is ridiculous! Extremely resonant, extrememly clear and the tone is badass considering the makeup of the guitar. Semi-hollow mahogany body (chambered), black limba neck and the top is made out of carbon fiber and arched/carved to Ron's standard SCF form. :yum: Fretboard is ebony too. Killer, killer, killer guitar! :cool: Here are some pics I took:

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_1.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_2.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_3.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_4.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_5.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_6.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_7.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_8.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_9.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_10.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_11.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_12.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_13.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_14.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_15.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_16.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_17.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_18.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_19.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_20.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_21.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_22.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_23.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_24.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_25.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_26.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_27.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_28.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_29.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_30.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_31.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_32.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_33.jpg

Thorn_SCF_Carbon_New_34.jpg

If Misha has a chance to swing by (I know he's been crazy busy lately so no promises) we're going to try to put together an A/B video demo of the Blackmachine and the Thorn SCF Carbon. :D Should be interesting to say the least if we get a chance to do it! :metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Neat! I've always been curious to try a guitar with carbon fiber in/on it.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
another reason i love sperzel, those custom tuners with longer shafts to allow for straight string pull=win.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
another reason i love sperzel, those custom tuners with longer shafts to allow for straight string pull=win.

:agreed: Ron's design is set up for absolute straight string pull and the Sperzels allow him to achieve that. :yesway: Cheers to Sperzel on that one, very nice design indeed. :)

Joel

Reaction score
Are you gonna do the A/B thing with the Gutierrez Juggernaut as well, because i love that guitar.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd be willing to do as many vids as Misha has time for... looking like it COULD happen Tuesday so we'll see how that goes! :D

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Should have been a super strat shape, but thumbs up on using carbon fibre, it's the future of guitars. Bassists caught onto this idea years ago, but guitarsts, being the old stuck in the muds that we are, are taking time to catch onto the idea.

Wood simply cannot compare to carbon fibre.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Wood simply cannot compare to carbon fibre.

I can't say I agree with you there man. I find based on a few different guitars I've played that had more CF than wood to be a little sterile. A few guys on TGP had the guitars made of solid CF (think they were called Slipstream?) and found that to be the case as well, so I don't think as a tone material that Carbon Fiber is totally superior to wood. :shrug: I like what it does for stability, clarity and overall strength of the instrument but I can't say it's the best subsitute for wood out there. :2c: I think a good hybrid of CF and wood works much better to keep it from sounding too sterile.

Dude that is intense!
What are the inlays made from?

I can't remember offhand but I remember Ron saying it was similar looking to marble but not as brittle so it worked great for that faux marble effect on inlay work. :D Looks badass in person too! :wub:

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
:agreed: Ron's design is set up for absolute straight string pull and the Sperzels allow him to achieve that. :yesway: Cheers to Sperzel on that one, very nice design indeed. :)

:agreed: their tuners being totally modular is probably the greatest innovation of tunerdom ever, its a shame not everyone does it.

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Looks wicked, definitely look forward to hearing the comparisons! :yesway:

Latest posts

')