Terrible quality with recording

• Thread starter Kryaxysa
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kryaxysa

Reaction score
Hey guys.
I've recently tried my hand at recording, and I'm getting awful results. I don't think it has anything to do with me, I think it might be a hardware problem somewhere down the line. everything I record sounds like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23873874/test1 - 01 - Audio - Audio 01.mp3

I'm using an Agile 7 string into a presonus USB audiobox, into cubase.

In cubase i'm using:
Lecto amp plugin
Voxengo boogex impulse loader with catharsis impulses
A tube screamer plugin

What could be causing everything to sound like this? don't mind the playing, I just did it as a quick demo to show what it sounds like.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
:rofl:

I'm sorry for laughing, but that does sound hilariously bad. I'd take away the effects and such one at a time, and see if that helps any, but to be honest, all direct recording I've tried to do has sounded utter balls too.

I'm wondering if your impulses either aren't working, or are working... terrible. :lol:

dertillo

DareTillo
Reaction score
Could you update a sample of your dry guitar sound without any impulses and stuff so that we can hear what you have to handle with?

Kryaxysa

Reaction score
:rofl:

I'm sorry for laughing, but that does sound hilariously bad. I'd take away the effects and such one at a time, and see if that helps any, but to be honest, all direct recording I've tried to do has sounded utter balls too.

I'm wondering if your impulses either aren't working, or are working... terrible. :lol:

Oh you can laugh, it sucks.

Could you update a sample of your dry guitar sound without any impulses and stuff so that we can hear what you have to handle with?

Yea, here's just the guitar recorded into the presonus audiobox into cubase without anything else added. I also had to turn my input volume almost all the way down so that I didn't get any clipping, and I had to turn down the volume on my guitar a little bit too. Is this normal? I've got EMGs so I was wondering if the preamp affected that.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score

Yea, here's just the guitar recorded into the presonus audiobox into cubase without anything else added. I also had to turn my input volume almost all the way down so that I didn't get any clipping, and I had to turn down the volume on my guitar a little bit too. Is this normal? I've got EMGs so I was wondering if the preamp affected that.
Buy a mic and a mic cable, keep your input volumes/gains low enough to keep it from clipping.
:)

Pedrojoca

Gear Whore
Reaction score
ok, seems like the direct sound is bad right away (it sounds almost the same as with the effects...). Does you guitar sound normal in your amp? Check the cables and also try to record anything else with the interface like a microphone.

Are you sure that last clip is effect free?

Kryaxysa

Reaction score
Buy a mic and a mic cable, keep your input volumes/gains low enough to keep it from clipping.
:)

My only problem is, my 6505+ and mesa 4x12 is at my practice spot. and i don't want to have to bring it back and forth to record...

Kryaxysa

Reaction score
ok, seems like the direct sound is bad right away (it sounds almost the same as with the effects...). Does you guitar sound normal in your amp? Check the cables and also try to record anything else with the interface like a microphone.

Are you sure that last clip is effect free?

Sorry to double post but yea, the last clip is effect free. It's what it sounds like straight out. The guitar is fine, I use it every day at practice with my amp. It could be the cable, although i've already tried two. but i'll try another. Could it be my computer?

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
My only problem is, my 6505+ and mesa 4x12 is at my practice spot. and i don't want to have to bring it back and forth to record...
Not much else I can suggest, I've never had good experiences recording direct, and the only way you will is with nice gear made specifically for that and impulses.

Reaction score
Maybe its just me but I can't hear a difference between effects on or off?

It sounds like its just picking up your dry signal and nothing is being processed,
can you try loading the guitar track then only add your amp sim? see if that alters the sound I haven't used the exact sims and impulses your using but some of them you have to turn on or set whether they are affecting your tone

It seems like maybe you have the effects loaded but possibly on bypass

Pedrojoca

Gear Whore
Reaction score
yes, i agree with maybe having the efects bypassed, or you're only monitoring them.

Still, the dry sound is not supposed to sound like that...

if it's not the guitar... and probably not the cables.... i'm thinking interface, which isn't good at all.

')