Testing Helix Native in a full band mix.. Wall of sound achieved!

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I installed Helix Native and I am very impressed!

I had to make a metal video to see how well this plugin performs in a full band mix and I am VERY impressed.
You just can't beat the functionality of this plugin.
The fact that you can keep tweaking your Helix settings right until the very end without re-amping is a huge benefit.
Not that it needs a lot of tweaking because it already sounds very good with minor tweaking.

I'm using an Emperor 4x12 IR for the upcoming Heavy Hitters Collection by OwnHammer.
The release of this amazing pack is coming very soon so stay tuned for that.
I love this Emperor cab for huge rock and metal tones, it just sounds great.
I'm using the C65 speaker option.
I believe that's the stock speaker that came in this cab.

Hope you enjoy:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mikah912

Reaction score
Sounds great, Jon. I know the preset is dependent on the Emperor IR, and I'm definitely buying the HHC2 on day one, but for now....what drive and amp model and settings did you use?

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Sounds great, Jon. I know the preset is dependent on the Emperor IR, and I'm definitely buying the HHC2 on day one, but for now....what drive and amp model and settings did you use?

Thanks Mikah!
No drive model, just some 10 band eq in front of the amp to cut some tubby low mids.
The Badonk amp model was used for the rhythm tones as I love that amp model a lot.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Can you share these patches used in here, please :yum: So others can learn how to dial in Helix like this.

Oh heck, I'll just explain the preset here briefly.
First I'm using a 10 band graphic eq to cut some low mids around the 250 hz and 500 hz areas because this guitar has big low mids.
Then I'm going into the badonk amp where I lowered the bass and depth controls and added treble and presence until the brightness was good.
After that I'm running a simple room reverb at about 30% in the mix.
From there I'm going into the IR loader NadiR.
This because of the higher IR resolution.
Keep in mind that OwnHammer IRs have very nice resolution and length but your IR loader has to take advantage of that.
Helix Native doesn't have high resolution IRs (yet).

Of course I added some eq like a HPF and some low/mid cuts in during the mixing process too.
Hope this helps!

Metropolis

Reaction score
Thanks Jon! But no boost? I got to test that out too. I've got Ownhammer Mesa pack with V70 speakers, so it will be almost in the same ballpark, only guitar is quite different from 27" baritone scale sevenstring with active pickups.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Thanks Jon! But no boost? I got to test that out too. I've got Ownhammer Mesa pack with V70 speakers, so it will be almost in the same ballpark, only guitar is quite different from 27" baritone scale sevenstring with active pickups.

No boost!

I made a new video.
The last Native video I made was a hardcore metal tune.
This time I thought I'd do something a bit more traditional to see how Helix Native sounds with my strat.
I used the Archetype Lead amp with a drive pedal and an OwnHammer IR from the Heavy Hitters Collection Volume 2 (the HHC2 will be out on tuesday the 29th btw...).
It's a Zilla 2x12 IR with a greenback Celestion speaker.

I love how this sounds!
The automation features came in handy for the Vibe speed in the solo + the reverb level in the solo.

Enjoy: