Testing new RGA7

• Thread starter Deathstate
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I find that picking style so weird. So uncomfortable looking.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
turn down the gain
work on your technique before you start trying to go fast, the way you twist your left hand when doing that soloing stuff makes me hurt!
Try and incorporate your pinky too.
sweep picking doesn't mean just raking across the strings :)

behemoth91

Reaction score
ok man not horrible, but your picking needs to be quite a bit cleaner. get the basics down before you speed up with your picking man. oh and please turn down the gain. ibby stock pickups are pretty bad as it is without you chuggin in a buttload of gain into the amp.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Man everything about your technique looks painful. Definitely try and relax the picking wrist, and incorporate your pinky, I think you used it once in that entire video. Work on some slow chromatic exercises to get your coordination together.

Thanks for posting.

EDIT: Also, turn the gain down. Even if you drop some good pickups in there like Seymour Duncan Blackouts, trying to play anything other than power chords with that amount of gain is doomed to fuzzy failure.

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
Don't be discouraged about everyone's comments, take them as if they are your guitar teacher who's advising on how you can be a better player.

But I agree with them.
-Start incorporating your pinky
-Work on your tone, some of the best metal tones out there don't use that much gain. It's all on the hands.
-You have a banana picking hand lol. There isn't a right or wrong way to pick a guitar. If that's what your comfortable, let it be.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't be discouraged about everyone's comments, take them as if they are your guitar teacher who's advising on how you can be a better player.

But I agree with them.
-Start incorporating your pinky
-Work on your tone, some of the best metal tones out there don't use that much gain. It's all on the hands.
-You have a banana picking hand lol. There isn't a right or wrong way to pick a guitar. If that's what your comfortable, let it be.

Yes, sorry if I sounded harsh! I'm only trying to help too. I think his left hand technique is far worse than his right hand though, it looks like it's going to lead to some damage if he continues like that.

apexiwildchild

sevenstringer
Reaction score
1 other think i notice,too much of a down stroke picking..alternate man..u will feel it is so much easier when using alternate picking..

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score
cool dude, but i've gotta say this:

relax (seriously, you might get tendonitis), work on your technique, play notes that work together, and most of all (this hasn't been said yet): listen to yourself.

Do you listen to yourself while playing? or do you just kind of fade in and out and fall into routine?

Deathstate

PARAPRAXIS
Reaction score
Firstly, my right hand is kind of weird ever since I broke my wrist two years ago. I like picking like that though, it feels natural to me.

I do use my pinky, but for some reason I tend not to when I play certain riffs...
I DO listen to myself and what may seem out of tune is most certainly not. I'm not a soloer really and I was just fucking around up there. Almost all of this is improvised.
When was I even doing sweeps?

Murmel

Reaction score
Firstly, my right hand is kind of weird ever since I broke my wrist two years ago. I like picking like that though, it feels natural to me.

I do use my pinky, but for some reason I tend not to when I play certain riffs...
I DO listen to myself and what may seem out of tune is most certainly not. I'm not a soloer really and I was just fucking around up there. Almost all of this is improvised.
When was I even doing sweeps?
You might not have been sweeping but it certainly looked like you were tring to.

Sweetnothing

Reaction score
To add something that hasnt been said here...relax your left hand, seriously, you seem nervous too. Try to find a posture that is comfy, you will see a lot of benefits imo.

Don't take it as being picky, they're just suggestions ;)

Great axe!

avenger

Reaction score
Yeah man dont get discouraged by peoples comments if they seem harsh. Just try to take something that can improve you as a guitarist from it. This is one thing I have really been learning lately and it has already helped alot.

Keep at it you will get there.

PirateMetalTroy

The Tooth Fairy
Reaction score
I don't know about everyone else here, But I love getting bad comments about my playing. it kinda sucks at first, then you kinda reflect on it and go "yeah, i really do suck at _________... I guess I'd better work on that." So you spend the next fucking week straight trying and it gets a little better. Good feeling when you realize you've improved, even slightly.

That said...

MOAR FUCKING PINKY!!!! Keep your fingers pointed the same direction as the frets, and use 1 finger per fret. Find yourself a good chromatic exercise and work on alternate picking and using all 4 fingers.

less gain, too. This setting:

Bass: 10
Mids: 0
Treble: 10
Gain: 10

BAD!!!! Never, EVER, EEEEVVVEEERRRR do this. Never.

Keep shreddin'

behemoth91

Reaction score
I don't know about everyone else here, But I love getting bad comments about my playing. it kinda sucks at first, then you kinda reflect on it and go "yeah, i really do suck at _________... I guess I'd better work on that." So you spend the next fucking week straight trying and it gets a little better. Good feeling when you realize you've improved, even slightly.

That said...

MOAR FUCKING PINKY!!!! Keep your fingers pointed the same direction as the frets, and use 1 finger per fret. Find yourself a good chromatic exercise and work on alternate picking and using all 4 fingers.

less gain, too. This setting:

Bass: 10
Mids: 0
Treble: 10
Gain: 10

BAD!!!! Never, EVER, EEEEVVVEEERRRR do this. Never.

Keep shreddin'
yea, i like this setting myself

Bass:6
Treble: 6
Mids:2
Gain:6

Latest posts

')