TH3 rhythm tone tutorial

• Thread starter shnizzle
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shnizzle

johnny
Reaction score
i hope to make some more tutorials with TH3. don´t hate me if they come slow (^_^)

here´s the next tone. typical djenty.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

isotropy

Reaction score
Awesome as usual.

I'm so impressed with TH3. the speed at which you come up with these tones is fantastic. doesn't seem to require a lot of fiddling.

shnizzle

johnny
Reaction score
Awesome as usual.

I'm so impressed with TH3. the speed at which you come up with these tones is fantastic. doesn't seem to require a lot of fiddling.

well, it requires a lot of fiddling at first to get to know it. once you know it you can work with it quite fast.

oc616

Control Deck Wins
Reaction score
The funniest part about trying your "KSE" tone after watching, I realized even more how tone is a majority % of your hands. Because instead of sounding like yours with the same equipment, it sounded like Fear Factory circa Archetype lol.

Is the djent one pretty much the tone from your first TH3 review? (recognized the 2x12 cab).

shnizzle

johnny
Reaction score
The funniest part about trying your "KSE" tone after watching, I realized even more how tone is a majority % of your hands. Because instead of sounding like yours with the same equipment, it sounded like Fear Factory circa Archetype lol.

Is the djent one pretty much the tone from your first TH3 review? (recognized the 2x12 cab).

well, pickups also play a big part. the guitar i recorded that little riff with has a seymour duncan invader in the bridge, which is quite strong on the low end and mids. a more balanced or brighter pickup could make it sound or feel very different.

the djent tone is not exactly the same. stomp, amp and cab are the same, but the tone i dialed in here is much simpler. in the review i EQ´ed it quite hard, but it´s not necessarily better. at the time i made that review i was still influenced by the Pod´s characteristic which played a part in how i wanted to shape the tone. but now that i´m pretty much immersed in TH3 i tend to leave the tones as raw as possible.

shnizzle

johnny
Reaction score
here´s a kind of Trivium / In Flames tone. i know the bands don´t sound much alike, but the guitar tones aren´t too far apart. in the video description i also explain how you can get closer to the Machine Head tone from the Trivium tone.

Elric

Reaction score
Digging your vids. Got TH3 when they had their Black Friday sale and am loving it, definitely my current favorite guitar plugin.

jvms

Reaction score
thanks. i actually just use the pod to get a good DI quality. but for tones i only use TH3.

Could you tell me how you use the POD for the DIs? I heard about people pluging it into the interface's input with the effects bypassed? Is that what you do? If so, should I use the Line or Instrument input? And what is the advantage of doing so?

shnizzle

johnny
Reaction score
Could you tell me how you use the POD for the DIs? I heard about people pluging it into the interface's input with the effects bypassed? Is that what you do? If so, should I use the Line or Instrument input? And what is the advantage of doing so?

i conect the pod to my interface via spdif and i set the spdif output of the pod to send the DI instead of the fx chain. you can set that in the I/O section. in that way the signal doesn´t go through two AD/DA conversions. it´s converted to digital in the pod and stays digital when it goes to the interface. that gives me the cleanest signal i can get with this setup.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Stock cabs in TH3 are not bad, but in my opinion Modern cab sounds a little bit too boomy, and adjusting mic placement is not effective enough. With my equipment impulses such as Ownhammer gets the best results. Really punchy, rich and detailed sound with high-gain, not too over processed like 3sigma or Rosen Digital wich require tons of post-processing afterwards to sound nearly as good.

Are you planning to do tutorials about lead and clean tones too?

shnizzle

johnny
Reaction score
Stock cabs in TH3 are not bad, but in my opinion Modern cab sounds a little bit too boomy, and adjusting mic placement is not effective enough. With my equipment impulses such as Ownhammer gets the best results. Really punchy, rich and detailed sound with high-gain, not too over processed like 3sigma or Rosen Digital wich require tons of post-processing afterwards to sound nearly as good.

Are you planning to do tutorials about lead and clean tones too?

yes, i´ll also get to lead and clean tones soon.
i think the TH3 cabs just have more of a raw sound/feel to them. i always need to EQ afterwards. OwnHammer is already post processed afaik. but i like that raw sound. it gives you a lot of room to tweak your individual sound. and fiddling with the mic placement is far more fun than clicking through countless impulses and remembering the names of the few you like. at least for me.

')