That Boy Ain't Right Thread.

• Thread starter tbar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tbar

8 String shredder
Reaction score
IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

i got this bass off a friend, its a fun instrument but i know nothing about it. any one got any info on it?

here is a video of it in action.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Those pop up on eBay every now and then. I believe they're built by one of the large Korean OEM makers.

I've seen them branded as "Tennessee" and "Galveston", and even once as "Island". I haven't seen any pop up for awhile now, but it'd be worth monitoring eBay, or perhaps e-mailing some of the Power Sellers who are dealing in "Tennessee" branded instruments.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Yeah these mostly crop up on ebay, they do a lot of weird stuff.

How does it play? Is it a good instrument?

tbar

8 String shredder
Reaction score
it plays wicked, nice and fast, the string spacing is closer then a regular bass. id like to replace the bridge on it, but i cant find any thing that will fit it. it plays like a guitar, but its huge. its longer then most basses too so it was such a pain in the ass finding an 8 string set that was the proper gauges for it. I must add though, the low F# string is soooo low the note is quiet, but man, it shakes the floor. you feel it but you dont hear it.

I used it on my band's soon to be released EP and it cuts through really nice in the mix. i think i has cheap hardware and electronics though, and was poorly put together ( ie. the ground wire was grounded to the ball at the end of the lowest string) id love to aquire another instrument like this one. its so unique and doesnt really play, feel or sound like any other bass ive ever played.

Id love to track down some higher quality parts for it, if any one knows a good online parts resource for extended range
instruments hook me up!

http://www.myspace.com/tbarmetal

l_ee37b799098e4e8cae021e439775e4fb.jpg

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
you should get individual bridge saddles, and get a luthier to mount them on a plate of some kind, so it´ll attach and cover up the mounting space of the old bridge.

tbar

8 String shredder
Reaction score
i bet the tone would greatly improve and have better action with a better bridge.

knuckle_head

Reaction score
You could get a tune-o-matic type dealio made for you cheap enough that might actually drop right on to the posts that are there I bet - it would solve your grounding problem at the same time.

tbar

8 String shredder
Reaction score
any one know of any where id be able to order a new bridge for this thing?

angus

Reaction score
No manufacturer makes a bridge with string spacing anywhere near small enough to fit this. You could get one made for it, but it'll cost more than the cost of the instrument.

And the proper bridge will probably expose fret problems, which will anger you.

I'd say enjoy it as is, despite that the fact that the intonation is probably way out in left field.

tbar

8 String shredder
Reaction score
actually all things considered ( i do realize this is a cheaply made instrument) it plays and sounds great!

angus

Reaction score
Which is great!

But there is no way the intonation is any good at all, which is probably the most important reason to swap bridges (if you were going to). But there simply isn't anyone making a bridge with spacing that narrow. Hipshot maybe could make it that narrow, but they'd have to redesign the saddles (min 15mm), and it would cost an arm and a leg. Have you measured it to see exactly what the spacing is? I'm betting it's in the 12-13 mm range.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i think you could get a bridge made for it without paying too much, actually. ABM single string bridges mounted on a wooden baseplate. tadaah!

you need to have the bass delivered to a guitar builder to make that work properly i would guess though. you could probably ship it to the builder if there are no one close to you.

angus

Reaction score
Won't work- ABM single bridges placed side-to-side will only go down to a minimum of 15mm spacing. His spacing is narrower than that, so single string bridges won't work.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Won't work- ABM single bridges placed side-to-side will only go down to a minimum of 15mm spacing. His spacing is narrower than that, so single string bridges won't work.

not even if he gets guitar singles? i don´t know if they work for strings that large, but hey... worth a thought :lol:

there are other options too of course, but they´ll cost more...

')