That's it, we need one!!! the Modified RGA8 thread

• Thread starter Manhell
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlexThorpe

Reaction score
Started working on sanding down my rga8 I got a week or so ago, and after an hour and a halfs worth of sanding I've decided to go the chemical stripping route. Have some non-toxic soy bean stripper coming this Saturday so ill be able to get some more work done. In still deciding if I want to oil it natural, or paint it white. The pickups are dimarzio da8's.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    740.7 KB · Views: 156

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
If you guys wouldn't mind me asking, about how much did the new bodies run you guys?
I don't think it will help you to know what I paid, really. You should check luthiers known for building Ibanez bodies and ask for their pricing. Also google Perle Guitars, although I don't remember if he makes 8-string bodies or not. As far as I know they are pretty cheap, but unfinished, so they need some love. Try and find out about luthiers in your town, go and hit them up. That's what I did.

:)

benjy

Reaction score
To answer how cheap this can be if you DIY:

The block of alder was $100, DA8 was $100, and some electronics were $20. the rest was salvaged from the rga8. Add about $100 for shipping all that to canada. I had all the tools and I work at a wood finishing company (not nearly as good as a pro guitar finish but its free for me).

I hope to see more modded rga8's. This thread needs to grow

zerofocus

Reaction score
damn there's some nice builds here

I'm after an RGA8 to hack and make an iceman body for it, similar to this

meshuggah_2_by_vinc_photography-d47cfwx.jpg

(I've listened to a lot of meshuggah recently since the new album came out so I'm going to blame that lol)

SPNKr

Reaction score

I'm after an RGA8 to hack and make an iceman body for it, similar to this

(I've listened to a lot of meshuggah recently since the new album came out so I'm going to blame that lol)
Be careful with an Iceman 8 body. The bridge needs to be further back for the guitar balance better, or is it that the neck needs to be further in the body?

4W6BJ50.jpg

kqlYOLS.jpg

Can you see the difference? Opt for the first design and you risk less play area on leads, unless you want 22 frets, but it's best for rhythm and overall comfort. Or the initial design where you can access all the lead frets and you can have 24.

zerofocus

Reaction score
Be careful with an Iceman 8 body. The bridge needs to be further back for the guitar balance better, or is it that the neck needs to be further in the body?

4W6BJ50.jpg

kqlYOLS.jpg

Can you see the difference? Opt for the first design and you risk less play area on leads, unless you want 22 frets, but it's best for rhythm and overall comfort. Or the initial design where you can access all the lead frets and you can have 24.

Yeah I've seen the stuff on avh guitar repair, he does great side by side comparisons of both models

I'll probably base it on the "later" models they had built where the bridge and the neck were moved into the body more, joining at the 15th fret rather than the traditional 17th fret

kigorri

Reaction score

I'm after an RGA8 to hack and make an iceman body for it

Yeah I was thinking along similar lines. Im old enough to remember the Ibby 540p / 540PII and have a spare 540P Mahogany blank just sitting....tempting. Will prob wait to find a spare neck.

')