The 80s Thread

• Thread starter Scar Symmetry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Gah! All the YouTube links are getting broken. I won't post a link (lest it doesn't last) but we needs some Triumph in here. Great guitar work, but still very 80s.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Gah! All the YouTube links are getting broken. I won't post a link (lest it doesn't last) but we needs some Triumph in here. Great guitar work, but still very 80s.

Ah yes, the other great Canadian trio. Fight The Good Fight is an awesome song. :shred:

ellengtrgrl

Reaction score

I forgot about those guys! I haven't heard this song in decades!

For Hollowway - I'm dating myself, but I remember when this stuff came out (I was a teenager at the time)

More 80s goodness:

I saw these guys open for Queensryche in the early 90s - Rocky George is fantastic player - he nailed all of his leads (including the 8 fingered tapping!)

I saw Queensryche play the album these songs are off of (Operation Mindcrime is a concept album, which was released in 1987), in its entirety (complete with a video screen playing video tracks relating to the album, and Geoff Cates singing to Sister Mary as she spoke on the screen), on the same tour that the band above opened for them on.

Oops! Before I forget - the second album these guys released, came out in 1989. I heard it for the first time in early 1990, when I was playing in the only pop covers band I've ever been in. I remember being bored before a rehearsal, plugging my guitar at the time (a Gibson Q4000 [I wish I still had it - I found out a couple of years ago, that only about a dozen were made! :wallbash:]), into my amp at the time (a Fender Princeton Reverb II - hey those things could dish out metal dirt if you knew how to set 'em up properly - I had to play mine with wimp toneage for the band :eek:), crankig up the gain and the volume, runing an old Chandler Tube Driver I had at the time for for even more gain, and blasting away on Soundgarden, to play with feedback:

failshredder

hammer every cock
Reaction score
You guys are all fucking Philistines. At least someone mentioned Queensryche.

From Wikipedia: "The band effectively disbanded a few months later with Blackie Lawless embarking on a short lived solo career. Lawless was originally slated to play T-1000 in the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day, but was later replaced by Robert Patrick after Arnold Schwarzenegger deemed Lawless "too tall".[6]"

Stealth7

Reaction score
We can't have an 80's thread without mentioning NITRO!

*highpicthed* AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! :scream:

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
I like a bit of 80s cheese... back when mainstream pop and rock still had bitchin' guitar solos:

And Go West as well... the cheesiest, campest band I've ever heard (apart from Wham obviously) but listen to Alan Murphy's solo at 3:55:

He was awesome, RIP.

ellengtrgrl

Reaction score
I'm not a big Scorpions fan (I saw them play at the Brown County Arena in Green Bay, WI back in the late 80s - it was a boring show to say the least), but I do like a few tunes off of the Blackout album:

')