The atomic amplifire for main rig?

• Thread starter BrentSSL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BrentSSL

Reaction score
Ok so I have been down the modeling rabbit hole a bit over the last 4 or 5 days doing research and what I have found is that for the money portability and tone that the Atomic amplifier is the best thing on the market. First off the competition was the 11 rack which seems to be a dying myth. Axe FX Ultra which would be awesome but the Midi board rack and power amp I would want to for that thing would cost more then another entire rig in some cases. The Kemper which is a close second and is my favorite but it is just way to expensive. Finally line 6 anything mainly the Spider valve mk2 I feel like all line 6 products including the 3 I already own lose value and all sound oddly similar and too synthetic. I have been trying to get away from amps for a few reasons one amp does not do it all they are temperamental individually let alone linked together. I would need 4 heads and cabs to start to try to do what these amp modelers can do. I thought about the ADA but I think I am just not into the tone of those or something they sound good but piecing that together with everything in good working order could take months. I am trying to avoid going to the amp doctor its my fault I have bought and sold or traded at least 3 or 4 amps a year since I sold my 3 channel dual rec. So needless to say I have been on a quest to get some sort of usable rig.

In theory I am going to build a rig around the Atomic amplifier let me know what you guys think if there is any Ideas you can give me I am going to get a midi controller and expression pedal and some powered flat response monitors and hopefully have a few pictures in a short while. I am hoping I can get some ideas on how to use it live in a with a vocals only PA because I fear I will run into that at some point. Thoughts and opinions please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Marty

Reaction score
I thought the Amplifire sucked. Couldn't sell it fast enough. Clunky interface, cheap feeling and uninspiring tones. Axe-Fx or Kemper any day over it IMO.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
I've ordered the Positive Grid Bias Amp. It has a 600w poweramp, pre orders are around $1k with free shipping and it also comes with bias desktop and effects ($400 value)

I'd seriously suggest looking into that, especially if you already like Bias Desktop or the Bias iOS.

Matthew

Reaction score
I'm also very interested in the Amplifire. All I know is that the popular reviewers love it and Plini uses it live.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
1. Define your needs.
2. Define your wants.
3. Define your budget.
4. Compile list of products that meet combinations thereof.
4. Research those products (including actually testing them).

You said "I would need 4 amp heads to try and start to do what these modelers can do" - but who's saying you would actually use 2 amps at once? When have you experienced these "temperamental" real amps you've mentioned? It is an honest question with no judgement associated (I need to clarify that since we're on a forum). I ask because in my 16 years of playing guitar, I've had one amp that needed a warranty fix: the rest have been fine. From solid state practice amps to handmade boutique heads, I've had one issue.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
I know you've stated that you're not sold on Line 6's offerings, but purchasing a used HD500 might change your mind. I found that the incremental increase in quality that the Kemper (which I also owned) offered did not correlate with the massive price difference. Yes, the Kemper is better. No doubt about it. A very high quality piece of equipment. But I was happy enough with the HD500 that I didn't miss the Kemper.

In your situation, where it seems like you don't have a power amp or cab either, that Bias head does look really appealing. I did find the modelling to be more realistic than the HD500 and an integrated 600W power amp is a pretty sweet deal at the 1K mark.

BrentSSL

Reaction score
These are really good responses thank you I'll try to answer buddas question after work

Sage I have been thinking quite heavily about line 6 but if I do go with line 6 I'd rather get the spider valve mk2 that my favorite line 6 product

jeremyb

Reaction score
I seriously considered the amplifire but wanted the versatility of the HD500X, I'm a heavy effects user though...

Cheap

.....ite
Reaction score
i haven't personally played the amplifire, but i've seen the austrailian camp using them (plini, helix neb) and frankly if that's good enough for them it's good enough for me. it's all about the feel though. the kemper is definitely an awesome, albeit expensive option

')