The Bad Cat Hot Cat sounds HUGE!

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
I recently came across this high-quality video when I was looking into the new Hot Cat, which is the highest-gain amp from Bad Cat. God damn, this thing sounds immense! I've been on the fence about retiring from the stage to focus on school, but if I do make that decision and don't need my rig anymore, I think I may replace it with a Hot Cat 30 2x12 :agreed: Check out this tone :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
Not to be the Negative Nancy, but I did not like that tone at all. It sounded like a Boss Metal Zone run through a Solid State amp. I'm hoping that it was just an EQing and Recording issue, because that sounded like a lifeless Buzzsaw.

It's strange, b/c I've been in the room with a Bad Cat amp (the one that sounds like kinda like an AC30) and it was heaven. The dynamic range was amazing, and the tube feel was pillow-like. The crunch was to die for and I could tell that it was a very versatile amp. I have no experience with this Hot Cat model, so I'll save judgment until I hear one firsthand, but by the sound of that video, this amp wasn't built for someone like me. My two cents.

Thanks for sharing though,
Phi

Corwin

Reaction score
I've heard this amp twice, live. It sounds amazing.
It's been a long time that i'm gasing for one, but they are DAMN expensive.

Reaction score
No djent? :squint: ;)

I think that's pretty damned good for Class A. I remember when I had a VHT 2:50:2 and would switch to Class A it sounded more tubby, muddy, messy. But that Black Cat seems to be tight. I imagine an EQ and/or OD in front would smooth it out a bit.

Nights_Blood

Fire and Brimstone
Reaction score
Not to be the Negative Nancy, but I did not like that tone at all. It sounded like a Boss Metal Zone run through a Solid State amp. I'm hoping that it was just an EQing and Recording issue, because that sounded like a lifeless Buzzsaw.

You're not the only one. I though the clip was terrible as well.

guitar4tw

Reaction score

It's strange, b/c I've been in the room with a Bad Cat amp (the one that sounds like kinda like an AC30) and it was heaven. The dynamic range was amazing, and the tube feel was pillow-like. The crunch was to die for and I could tell that it was a very versatile amp. I have no experience with this Hot Cat model, so I'll save judgment until I hear one firsthand, but by the sound of that video, this amp wasn't built for someone like me. My two cents.

Phi
Actually, I agree with you. To my ears, it sounds too dry and lifeless, and as you say, almost like a solid state.

I have never tried a bad cat in real life, though, so I won't judge based on youtube clips. Thanks for sharing anyways :)

Corwin

Reaction score
You should really hear it by person. It sounds amazing, and has a really tube-like sound to it.
This sample actually sounds way less than the amp should sound.
Steven Wilson Uses them live, and if you can hear the sound-check, its amazing.

Indigo

Reaction score
sounds like it needs to be a bit more wet. but definetly has potential to be huge. (in that video) steven's tone has never been great live in my opinion.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
sounds like it needs to be a bit more wet. but definetly has potential to be huge. (in that video) steven's tone has never been great live in my opinion.

I like the tone beacause it's not too wet. I'm not big on saturation, and that's why I play a VHT Pittbull UL and dig the tone of the Hot Cat in this clip. It's just so thick and chunky, and would be perfect for some dirty-ass sludge metal IMO.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
I was really into Bad Cats for a long time till I heard a Budda. However, I've played a Hot Cat 30R. It's a beast. You could get some pretty modern saturated tones out of it, or not compressed at all. Depends on how you set it. The cleans are godly, and both channels are VERY touch sensitive. Almost got one... I just liked the Budda better. Suits what I do better I think.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score

Phi

listened to the clip: lots of mids, not a lot of drive, single tracking. Double that up, put it in a band mix, and you'd be leveling buildings I think. I don't mind it, I'd tweak it but it's not bad.

Doesn't sound MT-2 into SS to me at all, and I heard that setup last week ;)

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
listened to the clip: lots of mids, not a lot of drive, single tracking. Double that up, put it in a band mix, and you'd be leveling buildings I think. I don't mind it, I'd tweak it but it's not bad.

Doesn't sound MT-2 into SS to me at all, and I heard that setup last week ;)

Well, to tell ya the truth, I sold my Metal Zone a couple of years ago and have been rocking the Axe-FX Ultra for quite a while now, so I honestly don't remember how crappy the MT-2 sounds anymore. :lol::lol::lol: It has become the symbol for crappy tone ever since. Is there such thing as an "Axe-FX Snob"? :lol::lol::lol: LOL.

cradleofflames

Reaction score
It sounds like a class a amp. In my own experience of playing the amp I would say it isn't tight enough for what he's using it for.

Get the Axe FX. You could have something that sounds just like your VHT, the Hot Cat, or a shit ton of other amps at any volume you want to hear it at but you don't actually have to play louder than bedroom level.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Phi, yes there is :lol:

')