The bands/musicians that changed the way you thought about or played music

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

btbamthewell

Reaction score
the dillinger escape plan - took me some time, but eventually i fell in love with it, showed me that there shouldn't be rules as how music should sound.
slowing down, clean guitaring and soundscapes

Pretty much exact same for me.

Sikth
ISIS
Botch

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Skyblue

Reaction score
Scale The Summit, for completely changing my perspective about music writing and music in general.
Also, Guthrie Govan for creating a complete world of emotion and color with just a guitar (And his freakin' amazing chops as well)

celticelk

Reaction score
In some approximate order:

Prince
Metallica
Rage Against the Machine
Ani DiFranco
David Torn
Tool
Andy Summers
Sonny Sharrock
Vernon Reid
King Crimson
Pelican
Bill Frisell
Miles Davis
Nik Bartsch
Animals as Leaders

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Here's how musicians/bands influenced me (I tried to go chronologically):

EVH (80's-present) & Hendrix - music should be fun... and F what teachers tell you, play the way you want to play.

Satriani (1987) - Surfing with Alien was the first album I heard that made me want to solo and play instrumentals, and not just play chords.

"Appetite for Destruction" (1987) - 'nuf said! :shred:

Randy Rhoads Tribute album (1987) - This album was just ridiculous. My first experience with neo-classical guitar meets rock. (This and Satch were the gateway drugs to the shredders below)

"And Justice for All" (1988) - first time I heard how brutal a guitar could sound! Before that I thought "Dirty Movies" was heavy lol.

Zakk Wylde/Ozzy ('88-'91) - "No Rest for the Wicked" to "No More Tears" were just kickass, high octane, beat the piss out of your guitar rockers! hard to grow up in this era and not be influenced by Zakk.

Vinnie Moore, Paul Gilbert & Bruce Bouillet, and later on Jason Becker & Marty Friedman (80's and 90's) - first time I heard extreme leads and really discovered prolific shredding (and sweep arpeggios lol). JB and MF forever influenced me to get "out of the box" and into exotic scales like Iwato, Oriental, Phrygian Dom, Hungarian, etc.

Jerry Cantrell & Ty Tabor (90's) - Jerry for being so F'ing catchy (yet dark)and Ty for showing me alt tunings/chording/writing. It's not fast, but Dogman might still be one of the "heaviest" albums I've ever heard.

Megadeth ('90-'94) - The Marty Friedman RIP to Youthanasia era probably influenced my metal songwriting style more than any other band

Now I'm just grooving and trying to learn from all these "new" cats (Loomis, BOO, all of Sweden, etc)... it seems like I hear something new and ridiculous every day. :yesway:

[FWIW this list was the 1st that was a lot of fun to make! Really reminded me of why I play guitar... thanks OP!)

edrowley

Reaction score
Being an 'old guy', I cut my teeth on Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Testament and Slayer. I kind of fell off the guitar wagon for a while and Trivium got me back on it.

More recently, since joining the 7 string ranks, I've really latched on to the playing of Jeff Loomis, Keith Merrow, Periphery, etc.....

As far as technique goes, I've been hooked on Dream Theater, Vai and Satch for a long time as well.

I guess you could say that I'm all over the board.

Gamma362

Loomis Fanboy
Reaction score
First it was System of a Down, toxicity in particular, they are what started me down the path to heavier music.

Next came Metallica. They sealed the deal, loved the Heavy Rawness to MOP and Ride, They are what made me pick up the guitar and are my earliest influence as a guitarist.

There was a little megadeth influence next, but that dissipated pretty quickly.

My biggest influence is Nevermore. Loomis's playing just blew me away, I couldn't believe that such technical riffs could be so catchy at the same time, and of course there is a very thrashy feel to the music at the same time, which I loved. This has really influenced the sound that I have when I write.

ArrowHead

Reaction score
His name was Ralph. He was banging my friend's mom when I was in 6th grade. He also took guitar lessons on the weekend. Dude would come over, sit with us kids, and rip out stairway to heaven, or AC/DC. Thing is, he was laughing, having a beer, and just entertaining himself. Back in the 80's, that's not how most musicians presented themselves. He was the first guy that made playing guitar look fun to me, instead of some big competition and a lot of hard work.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Rush

Dream Theater

Rush again. Their songs are so long, that by the end of the song, and when I was done discoverring dream theater, that I was inspired again, by the same song I left off on, as it hasn't finish yet :lol: (If you don't get this one, don't worry, if you do, congratulations)

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Pink Floyd - they were the first band that really pushed the boundaries for me, both in song structure, lyrical composition and overall gravity of themes. I still think that Pink Floyd is the heaviest band I've ever heard, exploring musically and lyrically themes in an intelligent manner that few have been able to match since

Tool - satisfied the same zone mentally that the Floyd does but made me comfortable with modern guitar tones and also with the idea of emphasizing groove over licks

Dream Theater - I would still probably hate all shredding if not for Dream Theater. They opened my eyes to a whole other world of phrasing and musicality

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
Recently: Joe Bonamassa and Jerry Cantrell. I have been into only extreme metal players far too much:noway:

*EDIT* Which also made me GAS for a Bogner. Damn....

Semichastny

Reaction score
Korn - The First band I got into, also started my love affair with 7's
Slipnkot - First experience with a truly heavy (for the time) sound
Converge/Trap Them - Redefined what I thought of song structure & heaviness.
7 Angels 7 Plagues/Saetia - Redefined how I looked at guitar
Coalesce - Redefined how I looked at guitar and song structure

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
DEP and Ion Dissonance showed me the depths of chaotic brutality. Danza, Pig Destroyer, Car_Bomb and Gaza pushed me further in.

And then bands like Botch, Norma Jean and Suffocation proved to me that you didn't need to be in Drop-X to be brutal. A D single-note can be as devastating as a G#.

Finally bands like Fallujah, Mithras, Decrepit Birth and Death made me notice nuance, atmosphere and beauty.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Bands that truly changed the way I feel about, listen to, judge and play music. My "standards" now, if you will. I'll keep the descriptions very short.

Sevendust: Nobody does big, heavy, melodic riffs like they do.
Mnemic: Michael or Guillaume era, doesn't matter to me. It's all insanely great.
Soilwork: "Black Star Deceiver" was the first song I heard, 'nuff said.
Threat Signal: Tastefully thrashy and heavy, yet they still know how to break it down and get melodic.
Sybreed: If I could steal a sound, it would be theirs. Period.
KoRn: Up through Untouchables, I just couldn't get enough.
Emmure: Their music is absolutely my definition of "heavy". It's so fucking nasty.
Periphery: Like I need to explain on this forum.
Dream Theater: Again, do I need to explain the plethora of awesome?
Mudvayne: L.D. 50 is still just so inspiring anytime I listen to it.
Lamb of God: There's a reason they're so big

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Many of the already listed were huge influences for me as well, but as a guitarist, i'd have to say Slayer and then Deicide steered me more than anyone else.
When we found that first Deicide cassette in a local tape store, we had never even heard of them.
I liked the medallion cover so much I decided to take a chance, and HOLY SHIT WOW!!!

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
In order of when it happened (I think):

Led Zeppelin
Metallica
Tool
dredg
Led Zeppelin
ISIS
Dream Theater
The Human Abstract
Periphery
Meshuggah
Led Zeppelin

I can hear the influence in my playing from all of them, too. I listed Zeppelin three times because I go through phases with them and get something new out of them each time I start listening to them religiously again. :lol:

')