The bands/musicians that changed the way you thought about or played music

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
what are the bands/musicians that changed the way you thought about or played music? what song, video or album got you started? what band changed your musical direction? what keeps you excited & playin on now? discuss.

as for me:

def leppard - the pyromania album & phil collens ibanez destoryer II made me want to become a guitarist...

Def_Leppard_-_Pyromania.jpg
Def_Leppard_-_High_'n'_Dry.jpg

metallica - their early stuff is what got me into heavier music...

thrashbrackets.jpg
metallica_ride_the_lightning_lim.jpg

187817584;encoding=jpg;size=300;fallback=defaultImage
61kgDD5EwNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

:hbang: those are the primary reason i play...i will mention a few others later.

feel free to post up vids & pics

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Raaaaal13

Reaction score
For me the very beginning was Disturbed's The Sickness. It was kind of the gateway to guitar considering it was the first heavy album I came into contact with. After that, it was Pantera's Vulgar Display Of Power(I know it seems like these two should be flipped, but I was a late bloomer when it comes to metal haha). I was on a Pantera kick for years until Trivium's Ascendancy came out. That got me into pretty much every band I'm into nowadays. The album that has refreshed me and keeps me going at it is Times Of Grace's Hymn Of A Broken Man. Such a versatile and deep album.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
times of grace is also a recent influence for me as well. any kse fans should check it out...

...speaking of which, im excited to see what jesse will do for that band now that he's back in the fold.

sleightest

Reaction score
the first music I owned was an Elvis tape I listened to it over and over in my walkman. My dad listened to lots of classic rock Beatles, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Boston, Journey etc which I grew up to and still enjoy. At around five I started playing violin. At 13 I became obsessed with Nirvana, AIC, Pantera, Metallica etc and picked up guitar. I sucked at it and thought about switching to bass.
When I was 16 I saw Steve Vai perform at G3 at the Paramount in Seattle. When he performed "For The Love of God" (which I had never heard before) It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. At that moment I knew in my heart that all I wanted to do was play guitar for the rest of my life.
Went to college guitar didnt get played as much as I'd have liked too. Now im working, broke, playing guitar and loving life :hbang: Currently im into: Little Tybee, Scale the Summit and Meshuggah
Motown has been a huge part of my music life as well. Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye, Delfonics, O Jays etc. If I could pick only one genre to listen to the rest of my life it would be that kind of music. Its the most beautiful emotional genre IMO not to say others arent as powerful but its damn good songwriting.

toiletstand

/\'...'/\
Reaction score
linkin park
Nobuo Uematsu
SRV
Korn
smashing pumpkins
weezer
silverchair
Mr bungle/faith no more
devin townsend
Nine Inch Nails
Dillinger escape plan
Periphery
the pierces

in that order

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Dream Theater, Symphony X, Opeth - got me away from rubbish metal and made me want to be a musician rather than a faggot that looks cool playing guitar.

Periphery, AAL, other unique bands - Got me to quit WoW and play again after 4 years of awful practice.

This forum - Taught me so much technically and made me understand that there is more to technique than hitting the right note at the right time.

BT, various experimental producers - Made me view music as simply a collection of sound and become open to all techniques, instruments, and methods of recording and production. Now I'm open to using my guitar as a tool to create any sound rather than being 'true metal' or something :lol:

Brill

sweet little lolita.
Reaction score
Dillinger Escape Plan, Arusha Accord, The Human Abstract, Protest the hero, Meshuggah, Roma Ivakov, Periphery, Mudvayne, Vildjharta, Scartown, Aliases and Nemertines.

Nemertines has been very influencual with compistional aspects. A lot of the "math" side of music has changed my perspective on how music is spose to be.

Riggy

Djun djun djun
Reaction score
Protest The Hero and Greg Howe in the last few years.

Muse and Satriani in the early days of playing.

AcousticMinja

String Theorist
Contributor
Reaction score
The one who probably had the most influence on me ever was Devin Townsend.
So many things from playing what you feel, to not sticking with genres, to just branching out as far as you want to go.
Actually, Opeth had that effect on me as well. :lol:

Incubus and Linkin Park also got me into all the music I listen to and play now. That's where it mostly started with me. I heard their music and decided that I wanted to play guitar.

Cougs

Reaction score
Metallica got me into heavy music, then i heard Trivium. They are the reason why i started to properly practice.

Ninjahat

Reaction score
Dysthrythmia (Basically anything that Colin Marston touches), Meshuggah, Botch, Chimp Spanner, Serious beak, Electro quaterstaff and "Mars" by Holst, these are the bands/people that have really made me think!

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Fates Warning, Dream Theater, Megadeth, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Allan Holdsworth, and Bela Bartok are probably the most notable game changers for me.

DMONSTER

SS.org Dweller
Reaction score
Meshuggah - Catch 33
Gojira - From Mars to Sirius

Literally both of those albums completely changed my life and the way I look at music asnd I cant be more happy about that :D

MJMinky

Reaction score
Metallica - first contact with metal when I was 6
Linkin Park - hybrid theory made me think about playing drums or guitar
Tool - changed the way how I perceive the rhythm and composition, made me to study music theory
Blessthefall, BFMV, and August Burns Red - started to love screams and growls
Jakob, God is an Astronaut, Red Sparrowes, 65daysofstatic - fell in love with post-rock and post-metal
Christian Scott - started to study jazz

Pushingink

Reaction score
Jimi Page, Dave Murray and Randy got me goin.

80's Hair Metal was an awesome time to be playin.:metal:

Stopped playin for about 15 years.

Discovered Buckethead and had to start playing again (thanks Big B)

Now its everything from Guthrie to Corellia, Chimp Spanner, Joe Bonamassa, Caligula's Horse, Zappa, BTBAM, Vai, Born of Osiris and just a bunch of others. :agreed:

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
red hot chili peppers - got me into listening rock music, john frusciante was my first real guitar hero.
slipknot - got me into metal.
the dillinger escape plan - took me some time, but eventually i fell in love with it, showed me that there shouldn't be rules as how music should sound.
sígur ros, 65daysofstatic, maybeshewill - showed me the cool thing about slowing down, clean guitaring and soundscapes

')